Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boardman TTE/Rotor/Qring Di2 Issue!
Quote | Reply
Afternoon fellow twitchers.

I'll cut straight to the main point of the problem.

If I am in the big ring and move my way up the cassette, by one of the top 2 gears it will pull my chain off the big ring and 9/10 end up jamming between the small ring and the frame.

Initially we found the Rotor Inpower 3D+ crankset isn't exactly a match made in heaven with the TTE as the frame sits slightly proud of the BB which means as the cranks turn they slightly rub on the frame itself. We had to shim out the cranks 3.2mm to get the perfect fit without any rub.

I first notice the chain issue when I was riding along a slight incline of road and after slowly notching back through the gears as the road went on it suddenly pulled the chain off and was jammed against the frame. (I'm beyond worrying about the damage to the frame by now as its already taken all the paintwork off.)

After getting the bike on the turbo and doing some investigating it seems to be as you switch through the gears the front derailleur auto adjusts a tiny amount, but as you get towards the top of the cassette it is too much and pulls the chain off. We managed to adjust the Di2 settings all the way outboard in hope it would stop the auto adjust and just keep the chain on, that was not the case.

The chain still comes off when in the big ring/large gear ratio, which i know isn't a gear i should be riding but it shouldn't pull the chain straight off without warning. I've fitted a chain catcher but whenever it pulls the chain off it just moves the catcher out of the way and falls between the gap still!

I've seen multiple professional mechanics and different bike shops and no one has either seen this problem before or managed to fix it. I can't be the only person running a TTE/Rotor crankset combination?! I'm hoping someone has had this exact problem before and can lead me in the right direction. I've had the bike since January and it would be nice to get it sorted haha!

I had contemplated the idea of getting a different power meter and going back to like a standard ultegra crankset but I haven't really got the extra money to be chopping and changing cranksets/pedals and whatnot.

Cheers,
Oliver.
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman TTE/Rotor/Qring Di2 Issue! [OliverGardiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had similar problem recently with round rings. biggest 2 cogs would drop chain out of big ring. thought t was worn teeth on ring until I found my der hanger cracked. replaced hanger and problem solved YMMV maybe bent hanger or cracked one

edit: my first clue should have been that when I tightened QE when putting on a wheel the RD rotated as I clamped the cam
Last edited by: jeffp: Jul 1, 17 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How short are your chainstays?
Shimano say a minimum length of 405mm.
The shorter they go the more bend on the chain when getting to the extremes.
As they get longer, the chains path is less acute to the cassette.
My Exocet 2 is only 385mm and that can occasionally pull the chain off the big ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant help with your problem. But wooow, sweet looking bike you have there.
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman TTE/Rotor/Qring Di2 Issue! [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil

The chain stays are 400mm so only a fraction below recommended, i can see what you're saying though about a shorter stay creating a more violent bend in the chain. Thanks though!
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman TTE/Rotor/Qring Di2 Issue! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff

Thanks for your reply mate, I just checked and the hangers are definitely all fine and dandy, my chainrings are pretty worn and I had new ones delivered last week but I haven't fitted them yet, I'll let you know if it solves the problem though!

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are pretty sure it is the FD pushing the chain off then it sounds like you want to add a shim to move the FD outward. I don't know how the FD mounts on the Boardman so not sure if that is possible.

It seems like by moving the crank out to clear the frame it might be moved out of the FD range of adjustment.

Approaching the problem from a slightly different angle could you experiment with the shifting modes? If you were in synchronised mode if should never shift to those combinations, problem solved.
Quote Reply