Blue triad review
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a blue triad? Their website doesn't have much info

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Triad SL. Bought it from the demo stock Steve Harad (CEO) offered on ST last October. I love it. Previous ride was a Felt DA (2010) which I loved as well. I haven't seen any drop-off in performance or stiffness. It looks great. Just make sure it fits you. The proprietary Aerus one-piece bars are sweet, but the pads are flush against the basebar (no rise). I struggled at first, but a quick trip to my LBS for a fit took care of the issue with an inch of rise (profile design risers are compatible). FWIW, I'm on a large frame at 6'3", 200 lbs and am a fairly strong cyclist. No flame flex at all. I might add that Blue has been excellent to deal with in terms of service. Sent me new pads when the others began to peel as well as a new set of aerobar extensions (as mine were twisting a bit while racing). It was spec'd with Red 22. Also if you like to be unique, I've been on the only Blue at all of my races this year.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have one, same deal as trismitty although I did have risers for the pads in my build kit.
Love the bike, never faster. Was really worried about the proprietary bars but they fit fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the 2014. Love it. Feel free to ask me any questions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still riding a 2009. Great bike.

The company has had its difficulties, but they stand behind their product.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can the bar be swapped out or is the bar/stem a single proprietary unit?

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [uclamutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. But you have to buy a proprietary stem from Blue to accommodate other bars. I think it's $250. Don't love that but they others have worked for me.

uclamutt wrote:
Can the bar be swapped out or is the bar/stem a single proprietary unit?

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had mine (2014 model - the ladies pretty blue with flowers) for about 8 months and the fork developed multiple cracks in it after light riding and no crashes. After much arguing (they don't believe I didn't crash it), Blue is sending a replacement fork to my LBS. I'm curious if anyone out there who has this bike and has anyone had similar issues (or maybe you should check)? I only found my cracks because I was lovingly giving it a good cleaning before a big race. Apart from the mess with the cracked fork, I love the bike, it rides like a dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one, but dumped it on eBay. I hated that bike. It was designed poorly and the proprietary components had no support from the manufacturer. Blue was like, "well, it's your bike, deal with it."

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a 2009 Triad. Really love the bikes and it's gotten me many top bike times in races. Only seen a handful of Blues - they're quite unique and get lots of comments.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the triad SL since 2012 and have had to deal with multiple issues. The company has been very difficult to deal with (or even get a hold of lately). Replacement parts are hit and miss. I would certainly not buy one now. I am hoping something major will break so I can justify a new frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 ex, and am quote happy with it. Only 2 issues to report.

1 Not sure if they've changed the geometry, but it doesn't fit certain discs. I tried renting a Zipp disc from race day wheels and it didn't fit. Glad they had a spare 808, which did. Might want to check on spacing if that's a concern.

2 It has the dreaded BB30 bottom bracket creak. Not blue's fault necessary, but something to be aware of.

Otherwise quite happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that they can be hard to reach. Plus they treated me like a criminal. I would never buy a Blue again.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [bzalan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked about making adjustments to my position and they told me I should have had it professionally fitted so I not need to make adjustments. When I mentioned that even pros make occasional adjustments to position, they said that was highly unusual. Also, look at their warranty policy. If the bike is not put together by a shop they authorize, they will not honor the warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is true about their warranty policy. My bike was assembled by one of their shops, so I'm good there. However when the fork cracked, the shop (not local) did contact them for me (they are loath to talk directly to the customer) but did not "go to bat for me" as they were not able to personally inspect the bike to see that there was zero damage to the bike that would indicate a crash or abuse. After I finally convinced them to cover the damage under warranty, they asked me to take the bike to a LBS and sent the part to them. I told them that I was in a hurry to get the part as I had 2 major races coming up and they promise to "expedite". They then send the part UPS ground so of course the part did not arrive in time. They then sent me an email complaining that although they agreed to fix it, they still didn't believe the cracks "just happened" which I found very insulting. They are just damn lucky the fork didn't fail catastrophically when I was riding. The LBS will send the damaged fork back to them for inspection.

The contrast between the customer service I received from my LBS over this, when they had no "skin in the game" - excellent, bend over backwards, and Blue is amazing. If Blue is indeed struggling they need to treat their customers like gold as they are their best ambassadors for their product.

Oh yeah and since they don't keep any spare parts for old models around, my gorgeous blue Blue bike will now sport a non matching black fork. How's that for a kicker?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are tall bikes. I couldn't get low enough even with all except the smallest spacer removed. Still almost 2cm too high.

I thought about putting a normal stem on it and some bars to get lower but had to get a proprietary stem. Decided it was easier to keep my old bike.

Email me and I'll give you my run down on what I think of today's aero bikes and which make my very short list.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Blue triad review [bzalan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience with them has been markedly different. I had their first tri-bike (T-14) and when having it serviced the bike shop noticed a crack in the frame at the rear brake mount. Took this up with Blue and they immediately offered an upgrade to their Triad SL and also discounted the cost of the original frame against the Triad.
All this based on a couple of photos taken with an iPhone 3Gs (based in Hong Kong so sending the frame back to them was cost prohibitive)
Delivery of the frame was short and painless.

A year or so on, I was having trouble fitting my front wheel and noticed that the aluminium dropout "protector" had started to delaminate(?) from the carbon fork, making it difficult, but not impossible to fit the front wheel. Brought this to their attention and they sent out a new fork within a couple of weeks. Ended up being sent to their dealer in HK at the time, who cut the steerer tube to the same length as my original; no charges at any time of this transaction.
Quote Reply