Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blood clot
Quote | Reply
I am 64 and been out of Triathlon for 3 years. I was diagnosed recently with a blood clot behind my left knee. I am currently taking Xarelto, to help shrink the clot. Has anyone on this forum come back from a clot like this and swam , cycled or run competitively again?
Quote Reply
Re: Blood clot [scoobysdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scoobysdad wrote:
I am 64 and been out of Triathlon for 3 years. I was diagnosed recently with a blood clot behind my left knee. I am currently taking Xarelto, to help shrink the clot. Has anyone on this forum come back from a clot like this and swam , cycled or run competitively again?

Yep. I'm 63, had first clot behind left knee about a dozen years ago. Didn't know it until it turned into a Pulmonary Embolism and basically couldn't breath and put in the hospital. About 10 days later went back to work, was told I probably lost approx.20% of my lung capacity. Fast forward to 3 1/2 years ago I decided I wanted to do tri after a 25 year "vacation". Did my first sprint that summer, a couple more that year, and three more the next year. One day I woke up and noticed my right calf was huge. Being bone headed, I didn't do anything about it for a couple days except ice. Then it dawned on me and went in to clinic. 15min later as they were scanning, yessir, you go a nice clot back there. Got to start injecting myself right there in the office and for the next 10 days. Did a test and turned out I had a genetic predisposition to clots. I can't remember the name of the factor or test. Been on warfarin since and likely for life. Kind of a pain doing the monitoring, but other than that not a big deal. I've done another 1/2 dozen sprints since then, some 5Ks, signed up for a 5 miler in a month, doing a 55mi bike charity ride tomorrow.

Monitoring the warfarin is a bit of a pain, but I like that it can be easily reversed (Vitamin K) if I do get myself real banged up. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of side effects or other "dangers".

Of course talk to your Dr. but mine is totally support of me doing pretty much whatever kind of competition I want to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood clot [scoobysdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scoobysdad wrote:

I'm 63 so perhaps there's a common theme here. Last September a month after a nasty dog collision I ended up hospitalized with a DVT in the popliteal vein in my upper calf and thousands of small and one larger emboli in my lungs. I was on Xarelto for 9 months after the event. During that time I was able to drive my FTP back up to where it had been pre-accident. Since the DVT was considered to be "provoked" I was taken off Xarelto after 9 months with a couple of ultrasounds done and D-dimer checked to make sure clotting had not resumed.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 11, 17 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Blood clot [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replys. My resting heart rate is 20 bpm higher then before I started the Xarelto. I am having an ultrasound on my legs and cat scan on my lungs this coming Wednesday. Hopefully no further clots and no embolism. My Doctor wants me to hold off on any training or exercise until he sees that all is ok and the clot is dissipating.
Quote Reply