Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blood Runs Thicker - Factor V Leiden & Performance
Quote | Reply
It's been around 10 years now, since I got diagnosed with Factor V Leiden - a genetic condition that means that my blood is basically thicker, with an increased risk of blood clots in the veins.
Studies shows that 7-10% of the male population has this "mutation" on in their genes and women are a bit less in risk.
So if you have a family history of many blood clots, you might consider getting this checked anyway. They only discovered this back in 1994.

Anyhow - I was reading a whole lot on blood and performance, and was wondering if this condition (thicker blood) could actually affect my performance during training and racing, whether positively or negatively.

Does anybody have any insight on this? Google came back with very limited results and obviously my family doctor was just looking like a big question mark...

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Blood Runs Thicker - Factor V Leiden & Performance [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diagnosed with Factor V five year ago after a DVT and PE. Been on blood thnners ever since. Neither has affected my performance.

(Well, I guess technically you wouldn't know if Factor V affects your performance since you are born with it and have always had it. So your performance is what it is.....Wink)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Blood Runs Thicker - Factor V Leiden & Performance [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Good to know indeed! The condition is worse if you inherit it from both parents, not just from one (my case).

If I may ask: Did your DVT happen during a period of low-activity? I was sorta hoping that all this IM training would keep me away from risk.

BTW: Nice to hear (for the first time actually) from somebody who knows about & recognizes this. Thanks for reaching out!

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have it from both parents, so my risk factor is +80% vs. the general population. If you only have one gene from one parent, your risk factor is significantly lower (don't remember the actual number).

My clot developed after 8 weeks in a walking boot to treat an Achilles injury. Walking boot + Factor V = NOT GOOD!!!

How did you end up being diagnosed? Seems most people don't find out until they have a clot, or have a known family history.

Feel free to ask me any questions at any point.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Blood Runs Thicker - Factor V Leiden & Performance [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again. My dad had two major clots (size of a Monica Lewinsky cigar) heading towards his heart at age 40. He had a knee issue and was immobilized with leg bandage and slam, clotted up badly.
So I was checked by our family doctor, thanks god! Actually this is almost 15 years ago now, thinking of it.

Just taking a bit more care while flying long haul, using compression socks and never sleep too long in-flight.

Still if anybody out there has insight on potential performance issues with Factor V Leiden - please let us know, thanks a bunch !!! Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband has Factor V Leiden heterozygous (from one parent). He had two massive PEs after a GI surgery and ended up in ICU over Christmas which is when he found out. He has seen a Hematologist and said basically those with just one parent variety don't have a significantly higher risk. He was on Coumidin for 8 months and then came off it after talking with the Hematologist. He had emergency surgery end of August and he was put on the high protocol of anti cogulant. Key for my husband is to be aware of situations that could put him at risk. I specifically asked about high volume training or doing long races being a risk for clots and of the 4 Hematologists we've spoken to none saw any correlation to clotting. I wonder if their patient population makes a trend unlikely to pick up if there was one.

We have twin sons and Hematologists don't recommend they get tested. If they were positive they wouldn't do anything. Only advantage of knowing is to be aware.

I've never heard that it makes your blood thicker.

If you have questions go see a Hematologist.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood Runs Thicker - Factor V Leiden & Performance [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kathy

thanks for sharing! On the "thickness" I was referring to the article linked to in my original post - this on: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/...andblood/202663.html
It says:
Quote:

"The variant is the result of a single change, or mutation, in the structure of the factor V gene. This gene encodes a substance involved in controlling blood thickness.
People with the mutation have thicker blood than normal, which means it clots more easily"

Quote Reply
Re: Blood Runs Thicker - Factor V Leiden & Performance [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my doc said there is no need to test our girls at this point. They are so young that if there was any medical issue, we would likely be there to advise docs anyway.

That said, we did get Mrs. P13 tested and she came back negative, so we now know the kids will only be heterozygous.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bumping this for global audience ;)

Is thicker blood making me slower/faster? And would it be advisable to counteract this (the slower part obviously) with medications?

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Thicker blood" is a phrase medicos use to convey to lay people the increased tendency to coagulate.

In truth the viscosity (and flow) of blood remains unchanged.

Jacob
Quote Reply