Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blood Blisters from high volume running
Quote | Reply
Does anybody else suffer from reoccurring blood blisters, particularly under the toenails, when doing high volume run blocks? I get them frequently and it results in a little pain as it forms beneath the toenail and if I don't burst it in time it eventually blackens the area underneath before eventually the part of the nail that's visible falls off and a new one grows back.

It's at the very least unsightly when walking around in the summer, either with a black spot where the nail used to be or no nail at all, but I'd like to know what's causing it. Has anybody solved it maybe through a change in running form, new shoes, socks?
Quote Reply
Re: Blood Blisters from high volume running [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kennykill wrote:
Does anybody else suffer from reoccurring blood blisters, particularly under the toenails, when doing high volume run blocks? I get them frequently and it results in a little pain as it forms beneath the toenail and if I don't burst it in time it eventually blackens the area underneath before eventually the part of the nail that's visible falls off and a new one grows back.

It's at the very least unsightly when walking around in the summer, either with a black spot where the nail used to be or no nail at all, but I'd like to know what's causing it. Has anybody solved it maybe through a change in running form, new shoes, socks?
Likely your shoes are too small and/or your toenails too long. Fixing either/both should improve the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get them very frequently. Sometimes it is because of me being stupid with socks being too tight or whatever, but a lot of time it is simply from running too hard which makes the microvessels under the toenails explode. I run in Hokas that are actually kind of big around the toe box, and it get them anyways. No biggie for me, but if I was into wearing open toe shoes, I can see that being an issue :)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Blood Blisters from high volume running [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
Likely your shoes are too small and/or your toenails too long. Fixing either/both should improve the issue.

alex_korr wrote:
I get them very frequently. Sometimes it is because of me being stupid with socks being too tight or whatever, but a lot of time it is simply from running too hard which makes the microvessels under the toenails explode. I run in Hokas that are actually kind of big around the toe box, and it get them anyways. No biggie for me, but if I was into wearing open toe shoes, I can see that being an issue :)

Well my shoes are the right fit as I buy them from a reputable running store with experienced runners as staff so I'm sure it's not that. And I'm pretty good about body grooming so my nails are never too long.

I'm thinking it might be more what alex_korr as mentioned about running too hard which puts too much stress on the micro-vessels.

That being said, I'm not really into open toe shoes but I do get some side glances (or should I say downward glances) when I'm at the pool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps if your foot strike is way ahead of your body, your toes can push into the front of your shoe over and over again. Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go for checking the size of the shoe, your running gait and maybe your lacing. If you do land feet in front of your body you could end up pushing forward.

Most shoes have an extra lace hole which is under-utilised but, used properly, can anchor your shoe better to your foot. Have a look at this -

http://howtorunamarathon.net/Tying_Your_Shoes.html

If that doesn't sort you out then I would be looking at my shoe size. I have run large volumes in the past and rarely get any blisters or blackened toenails, off or on road. I usually end up half a size bigger than dress shoes. I like to have at the very least a good thumb width between my biggest toe and the end of the shoe box when I'm standing up in the shop. Feet swell when running so you need that extra space.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply