Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG
Quote | Reply
There's a triathlon regular in Southern California named Bill Bell and he's known globally in the sport of the triathlon too as he's raced at the world level (AG Worlds, Kona ~17 times). There will be many on this forum who know Mr. Bell far better than I. But I think it was 2003 at age 80, when he decided he'd done enough Ironman races and retired from that distance but keeps on at shorter races.

I saw Bill in the transition area this morning at Malibu. He's racing as a 90 year old now!!! NINETY YEARS OLD!!! Frankly he looks better than many septuagenarians.

Roy Wallack did a nice piece on Bill in the LA Times back in 2007 - something seemingly "right" about Bill being an "explosives manufacturer".

He's sharp as a tack, engaging, deeply inspirational. Such a joy. If you ever find yourself at a race he's doing, introduce yourself, he'll leave you uplifted.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for passing this along. Great to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think i first met bill at the palos verdes marathon in the late 70's. He then became a regular fixture on the tri and duathlon circuit, just about always the oldest guy racing. He just has this great attitude and you can see the fun it is for him. I know he got a pacemaker sometime back, but it has not slowed him at all, but allowed him to continue to rock it at 90!! Hope i will be able to say the same when and if i get to be his age. GO BILL!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met Bill at the 2000 Ironman California (full back then). He was sponsored by Powerbar and forgot his Powerbar visor in transition and borrowed mine. I was honored to see him gladly wearing that visor on TV as he finished as the oldest competitor. He is quite the gentleman and a tough guy to race against. An honor to have met him.
Go Bill!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl, I was at IMCAL that year also. Bill is a total badass! His speech at the awards dinner was the best ever. Be told about how he tried going into the military during the war. He was denied because the Army doc said he "had a weak heart". He them said "I'd like to see that son of a bitch now"!

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I met him long ago somewhere, probably Ironman and seeing him at races (and often running with him at Cali 1/2) always makes my day.

Way to rock it Bill!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
115InTheShade wrote:
Karl, I was at IMCAL that year also. Bill is a total badass! His speech at the awards dinner was the best ever. Be told about how he tried going into the military during the war. He was denied because the Army doc said he "had a weak heart". He them said "I'd like to see that son of a bitch now"!

-

ha ha. I was there for that. That is typical Bill.

Remember when he was on the Tonight Show (or was is Jay Leno) after doing IM?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: trackie clm: Sep 16, 12 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks so much for the reminder- I remember spending time with him during my first IM -so long ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met him in 2004 at IMCDA, glad to hear he is still at it.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update on Mr. Bell. We ended up sitting at his table at the awards ceremony at the 2001 IMCal. He was a bit of a celebrity back then. I often wondered what happened to him. Really glad to hear he is still at it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great guy. I've said for a while that he's my role model. He's so active, engaged and sharp. Chatting with Bill, he's got a lot more going on between the ears than most 20- or 30-somethings. He spoke at our bike club and stole the show. Bill has an impressive athletic record, but as he tells it, he didn't become an athlete until his early 50s when the doctor told him to exercise to take care of his heart. His story about being a marathon runner and becoming a triathlete when he bumped into one at an airport is priceless.

A lot of people have seen Bill without knowing it - he has been a fixture teaching at the beginners clinic at the Desert Triathlons. He's totally entertaining, has endless stories, and does a perfect job calming and preparing brand new triathletes.

I bumped into Bill in transition for the Desert sprint this year and was amazed as ever. He was the most confident relaxed guy there, ready to go, having the time of his life chatting with old and new friends.

90. Wow. I was joking with friends about this this morning. Bill's active on Facebook, and drops encouraging comments before races. He will flatter you given the chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello monty and All,

I was in a race once when the crowd was chanting at the finish ..... BILL BELL, BILL BELL, BILL BELL .....

http://www.desertsun.com/...-bill-bell/23526815/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Bell at Malibu representing the M90-95 AG [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I read bill did 1983 World Wildlife Ironman Manhattan Beach (which was the first FULL Distance Ironman to hit the west coast)
Someone correct me if Im wrong. Either way his resume is just incredible.

Scott
Last edited by: holzamatic: Dec 26, 15 16:20
Quote Reply