Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Biking on Long Island
Quote | Reply
I will be spending a weekend in Nassau County on Long Island, and need to do a 60 mile ride. I've heard the service road to the Long Island Expressway is a good road, but can be pretty nasty with traffic, even in the early morning. Anyone out there know of good rides to do? I'm willing to drive a bit to get to a decent ride, even in Suffolk...

Thanks,

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Biking on Long Island [AJC NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't really help you but did notice a couple of roadie groups on some of the back roads when I was visiting last October. There are a lot of very busy roads on Long Island that you'd want to avoid but also some good back routes it seemed. If nobody here helps, you might want to either get yourself a map or contact one of the local tourist boards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
        It's hard to explain any other route, why not ride the service rd. It's a very LI thing to do. Anything along the north shore would be more scenic and more challenging but we all ride the service rd. all the time. If you are out there on saturday and you see a big roadie group coming up on you like a freighttrain, it's probably the Triangle groupe from Queens. Stay with them if you can, they keep the hammer down all the way through Nassau and part of Suffolk counties. Enjoy it, the service rd is a good ride.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived on LI several years ago and regularly road along the service road because of lack of traffic. Road on weekends and in the early evenings during the week and never had traffic problems.

The route is not scenic but there are rolling hills. Watch for broken glass along the side of the road. Got frequent cuts in tires.

From Great Neck to I think exit 53 Commack where the service road detours, it is 50+ miles round trip.

More scenic routes are on the North Shore, also more challenging hills. But especially during the week you'll be fighting more traffic.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to make you aware of a slight detour just past exit 43, in case you decide to ride the service road.

Heading west the service road seems to end at Woodbury Road. Make a left and pass under the LIE and the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway. Pass Manetto Hill Road. Make the next right up an inclined road. Keep following this road. It winds to the right after going up a hill. Pass the Northern State Parkway. I think you end up on Sunnyside Blvd. You'll see the LIE again and get back on the service road.

It goes straight out to exit 53 . I never figured out how to get back on the service road out there and turned around. The turn around can give you a give 50 miles.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.

Good riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try to hook up with a club ride.... try www.sbraweb.org
Quote Reply