Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bikes for tall guys with long legs and short torso...
Quote | Reply
This might be a weird question but here it goes....

So I am looking to buy a new road bike and some of them just don't seem to fit right. I know I can adjust some things like the stem and whatnot but is there a bike out there that taller people with longer legs and a shorter torso fit better on? I have a bmc tm02 and I love it. It fits great but the sizes for the tri bikes don't match their road bikes.

Does anyone recommend a brand or bike? I ride a 58 or 60 but still a bit long on the top tube for me. I just tried out some cannondales but again they were a bit long. If it helps I am looking for a road bike I can race next year and do longer rides on.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes for tall guys with long legs and short torso... [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the reach is too much. How about the stack? If the stack is also too low the answer is obvious, go with an endurance geometry, Trek Domane /Specialized Roubaix / Canyon Endurace.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes for tall guys with long legs and short torso... [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam and I ride a 58cm domane koppenberg edition. It's like having a small bike that fits a bigger person, if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My TT fit has a stack of 600, reach of 435 and Felt bikes have worked well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek work well for me. Domane but also madone or Edmonda with the h2 fit
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes for tall guys with long legs and short torso... [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks everyone for the help! I will check out those suggestions!

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiv plus Alpha X bars work great for me.

ETA: you asked for road bike sorry. Then yeah Felt.
Last edited by: datscha: Sep 25, 16 4:40
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes for tall guys with long legs and short torso... [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 on Felt. Works for me, at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' 2" 34" inseam. I have a Cervelo P2 58cm that works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely a Cervelo should work well? They have higher stack:reach than a lot of road bikes. R-series vs C'dale is quite a bit higher at the top end of the sizes. Felt was okay, taller stack than C'dale but less than Cervelo.

I ride a 60cm C'dale. It's a bit too low at the front. A 61cm Cervelo would have been ideal, but the R3 frame was four times the cost and it's a stop gap until everyone decide if discs will win over regular calipers...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These guys have it figured out. You're looking for more stack than usual for a given reach

Cervelo trek h2 or even h3 geometry Cdale synapse giant defy etc

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not see your specific dims, but I will through this out
I am 6'4" 37 inch inseam.
My Road Bike is Ridley Noah XL fits very well although I ride a super short stem. I can ride in drops with short reach high bars.
I have rented a Specialized Roubix 2x on vacations and this fit VERY well. Although note I had no power or bike computer to tell if I was fast or just Comfortable.. But speed and comfort go hand in hand.
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'5" - 36" inseam - Current road bike is Kestrel Evoke 62cm. I shortened the stem and moved the seat. You might look at Kestrel 60cm if you haven't considered them before. Current setup with Mavic Ksyrium wheels weights about 17lbs. I've ridden this bike on three 70.3 events and and IM Wisconsin. I found it to be comfortable - carbon frame of course. Keep us informed on what you decide.

2016 Specialized Shiv Expert (Ultegra)
2012 Kestrel Evoke (SRAM Red)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite as tall as some of these other guys. I'm 6' even with a 35" inseam. I ride a Lynskey R320 in a ML and a 100mm stem but my 3T Aerotundo bars do have 115mm of reach. The way 3T measures its really more like 100mm. 22 cm of post showing on a compact frame and only a 2mm spacer under my stem. About 11 CM of drop but due to back injuries I like to be flat and low.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes for tall guys with long legs and short torso... [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, thanks for all of the suggestions. I have sat on the BMC Teammachine, a Trek Domane and some cannondales. By far the BMC and Trek felt perfect. Both were 60cm. I guess the geometry is completely different on these bikes than the cannondales. Still havent pulled the trigger on the bike but I will update once I get it.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply