Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch
Quote | Reply
I'm a North American now living in London and commuting by bike. Unlike North America, cyclists here are expected to filter between vehicles when traffic is slow or stopped. The idea is to get to the next light and get in front of the cars so that they see you (it actually works well, and drivers here are very good.)

Roads in London are quite narrow, and there's a lot of traffic. I'm a terrible bike handler and often stop behind a vehicle instead of trying to squeeze through a narrow space. This would be OK if it weren't for the fact that I massively inconvenience other cyclists, most of whom are better than me and can get through that narrow space.

My question to the good bike handlers here is how do you "think" about biking through small spaces? Do you focus on a specific 'line' to get you through? Do you focus on what not to hit, or do you look past the vehicle you're trying to get by and ignore it? How do you keep the bike steady at a slower speed? By ignoring it and just focusing on balance, or by intervening and using the handlebars?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hyr00 wrote:
I'm a North American now living in London and commuting by bike. Unlike North America, cyclists here are expected to filter between vehicles when traffic is slow or stopped. The idea is to get to the next light and get in front of the cars so that they see you (it actually works well, and drivers here are very good.)

Roads in London are quite narrow, and there's a lot of traffic. I'm a terrible bike handler and often stop behind a vehicle instead of trying to squeeze through a narrow space. This would be OK if it weren't for the fact that I massively inconvenience other cyclists, most of whom are better than me and can get through that narrow space.

My question to the good bike handlers here is how do you "think" about biking through small spaces? Do you focus on a specific 'line' to get you through? Do you focus on what not to hit, or do you look past the vehicle you're trying to get by and ignore it? How do you keep the bike steady at a slower speed? By ignoring it and just focusing on balance, or by intervening and using the handlebars?

You look straight through the gap and out the other end several feet down the road. Don't look at the pot hole directly in front of you (you will have already seen it seconds ago if you employ the "look straight through the gap that you want to get out of") and especially don't look at the mirrors of the cars that you THINK you will hit. If you look at them your head will lean toward the mirror and suddenly your entire bike is leaning the exact same way and you are taking the line to the mirror and pretty sure you will smash into it. Don't look left or right. Look straight out.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practice keeping your movements "fluid" as well. You want to be able to flow, i.e., avoiding spastic movements and not using more space than you need to. A lot of this has to do with vision as said above, but it's also about loose hand grip, engage the whole body, that type of thing. In tight spaces, if you do notice a mirror or piece of debris you have to avoid, you can't be TOO evasive...you have to react gently to keep yourself from losing total control. This is perhaps a smaller piece of the puzzle than the vision element but it certainly comes into play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best tip you will get is to look as far as possible.

Also, use flat pedals until you feel comfortable with your bike skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a mountain bike and start riding some trails. This is the best thing for handling skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Get a mountain bike and start riding some trails. This is the best thing for handling skills.

I think the answer is something along these lines. I don't think people are going to be able tell you much here that will help. The key is managing your center of gravity and that''s learned by doing stuff other than follow a straight line on the edge of the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best not to filter past lorries/ trucks. Truck drivers have less cyclist visibility and are involved in almost 60% of cyclist accidents/ fatalities in London. Most cyclists behind you will know this. Any who don't; you'll be doing a favour holding them up.

https://www.theguardian.com/...rove-safety-cyclists
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You look straight through the gap and out the other end several feet down the road.
This would be my advise as well. Look where you want to go and not at what you want to avoid. Keep your head up and your eyes looking far ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the two things you mention - tight spaces and handling at slow speeds, I'd recommend a track cycling class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny that behaviour that is common in Europe provokes outrage from drivers in North America.
We're so entitled here.

Anyways... when I'm in traffic I use "skateboarding" a lot in tight spaces. One foot out, moving me along.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:

... Or a gravel bike, both will vastly improve handling skills. I thought I was a pretty competent bike handler but riding on dirt roads/single track really makes a big difference in how you approach riding and maneuvering your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like skiing in the trees: focus on the gaps, not on the solid objects.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand. I'm looking for a general idea to overwrite the "Holy crap I'm going to hit that mirror!" panic that fills my head when I look or try to navigate in narrow spaces. I figured that good bikers have a different line running through their heads when they pick their way through traffic or between obstacles, so I thought I'd ask them first. It might seem obvious to good cyclists, but to us bad ones we really don't know what the good ones focus on!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I marvel at the same thing every day. If I tried "filtering" back at home, some driver would probably shoot me within minutes. But here it's tolerated/expected. I think that's partly due to road layout. Because roads are so much more narrow in London, and long straight stretches are rare, there are fewer opportunities to speed (in a car) and very frequent stop/starts. Drivers are just used to going slower and to pulling over and waiting for oncoming vehicles to pass before going down a road or lane. And I rarely see the level of road rage I've seen in Canada and the US.

I know what you mean by 'skateboarding' - I just graduated to that step this week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike handling is keeping pace with other cyclists, or learning how to corner, when to brake, how to take switchbacks, how to shift your weight in corners, etc..

Squeezing through traffic in a city is not bike handling. It is a death wish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hyr00 wrote:
.....If I tried "filtering" back at home, some driver would probably shoot me within minutes. But here it's tolerated/expected....
Well thankfully, being shot is massively unlikely anywhere in western Europe. You'd be doing well to find a car with a gun in it (excepting police cars).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like somebody else mentioned, flat pedals for a while. And narrow handlebars to help you fit. And then I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are on the steep part of the learning curve and learning as fast as possible when you're actually having to do it in traffic. As long as you don't die, you'll be expert level 42 in no time. ...And maybe go mountain biking on the weekends to get ninja bike handling skills.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what mountain biking has done for me. After weaving through trees while also dodging rocks/holes, not much on the road really produces that holy crap feeling anymore. Basically, the key is to practice that kind of precise bike handling in an environment where a mistake doesn't get you hit by a car
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in OC California and in tight traffic without bike lanes (or even when they are blocked by cars) I move up to the light all the time. We just call it urban riding. I most likely wouldn't get shot here; very, very few people can legally carry a gun. Though, lots of criminals doing it illegally.
Like everyone else has said - Look forward and where you want to go. Don't look at what you don't want to hit - that's a good way to hit it.
Riding through tight traffic makes me think of that line from the Dyer Straist song Skateaway "let a big truck grease here hip"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to hear things are changing in parts of NA. I do find it safer to start into an intersection or roundabout ahead of the traffic, but that's in the context of very different driving techniques and attitudes and road layouts.

The part about getting shot was a joke! But I'd expect to get yelled at a whole lot more in NA. In spite of being a pretty awful cyclist when it comes to basic bike handling, I have yet to hear anyone yell at me or blow their horn here. And I commute for about two hours each day right across central London.

Ahh, next time I sidle up to a vehicle that Dire Straits line is going to be going through my head!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike handling question for the good bike handlers on Slowtwitch [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could do a "Reply All" to everyone on this thread - thank you for your advice. It really does help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned other cyclists, try to follow them, so you can see what they do. Where they fit, you should fit as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice riding curbs, on quiet side streets. You will quickly learn to look where you want to go, not where not to go.

Also, keep the bike online and move your body around what you don't want to hit, ie lean the bike one way and your body the other.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hyr00 wrote:
I understand. I'm looking for a general idea to overwrite the "Holy crap I'm going to hit that mirror!" panic that fills my head when I look or try to navigate in narrow spaces. I figured that good bikers have a different line running through their heads when they pick their way through traffic or between obstacles, so I thought I'd ask them first. It might seem obvious to good cyclists, but to us bad ones we really don't know what the good ones focus on!

Good riding is all a mix of skills and confidence.
As you develop skills, you'll get confidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As some other people have mentioned, look at the gap between the obstacles, not the obstacles themselves. I evaluate a gap before I get to it to decide whether I want to go through it or not. This considers both the size of the gap and the penalties for screwing it up (bumping a car mirror at 10 mph is mostly just embarrassing, hitting a giant pothole that I'm taking a narrow line near is potentially more severe. But once I'm actually riding through it I'm looking forward at the gap (and repeating the aforementioned analysis on the upcoming gaps, usually if I'm passing cars there are more than one and it creates a corridor.

None of this really takes into account whether you can ride a straight line or not. For that I'd recommend rollers. Practice on them and you'll:
1. Fall down in a doorway
2. Learn to ride straighter lines.

hyr00 wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply

Prev Next