Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike fit payment question
Quote | Reply
I got RETUL fit recently on my TT bike. The fitter put me up on the trainer for a minute on my own bike and basically told me that everything looked perfect. He suggest that I could move up my pads one section, but didn't say it was that big of a deal. All in all, the fit maybe took 20 minutes and didn't even hook me up to anything. Should I still pay for this? I mean, I totally understand that I paid for a service, but I find it hard to believe that me eyeballing a fit in a mirror is as accurate as RETUL so they are exactly the same...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they actually utilize the RETUL system, or did they just say everything looked good from their own eyeball test?

I tend to agree it's hard to believe there wouldn't be any tweaks. But at the same time, if it is perfect, do you just want them to make changes for the sake of changing? Granted I can't see you wanting to pay money for a fit if you didn't think there were improvements to be had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a print out with your pad X/Y position and all of your angles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you paid for a retul fit they should have at least taken some captures with the RETUL sensors so they could provide you with your fit report. Having the report with all your data even if it didnt change is worth something.

If it only took 20 minutes I would hope the fitter gave you a discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I got RETUL fit recently on my TT bike. The fitter put me up on the trainer for a minute on my own bike and basically told me that everything looked perfect. He suggest that I could move up my pads one section, but didn't say it was that big of a deal. All in all, the fit maybe took 20 minutes and didn't even hook me up to anything. Should I still pay for this? I mean, I totally understand that I paid for a service, but I find it hard to believe that me eyeballing a fit in a mirror is as accurate as RETUL so they are exactly the same...

If everything was perfect, why did you get a fit?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much did you pay?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I've done is eyeball myself in a mirror. I had no idea if I could be in a better position so I thought I should getting fitted.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, just eye balled it after watching me spin for about 15 min and said it looked good and there wasn't anything to change.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, if you went to this fitter for a Retul fit, they were required by normal ethics to hook you up and go through the process. They should have been able to show you via their system (or any fitter's system) what you can see as good set up objectively via a computer graphics of some sort or other, at the very worst they should have used a manual goniometer to should you how your angles were and should have been able to educate you on what they mean and why they would say you are fine or otherwise. This person was not a good fitter in that part of the fit process should not just be the fitting, but to explain and to educate the client as to what is happening and why. You should, if you pay attention, be able to relate to what was done and why or why not. It has to be a collaborative process with the subject of the fit being able to respond to how a change feels as well as to understand why if it feels different it might be better.

If you paid any money for this please ask for it back or ask them to perform a full process fit. This sort of thing makes bike fitting look bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Nope, just eye balled it after watching me spin for about 15 min and said it looked good and there wasn't anything to change.

No, you should not have paid for that, assuming you paid for a RETUL fit. That isn't a RETUL fit

At the very least as noted above you should have received the data from the fit with the angles etc so that, if you get another frame, you know which frame would work for you and how to set it up (assuming it is already, as they say, perfect)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 13, 17 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I told him that I was fitted on a different TT bike three years ago. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they do an evaluation of your body?
Flexibility, alignments, goals, issues etc?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much was it?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Actually, it sounds like you did not get a RETUL fit.....you got an "eyeball" fit that lasted 20 minutes. As others have asked, what did you pay? If it was more than $50, you should probably ask the store owner for a "real RETUL fit" or your money back.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Actually, it sounds like you did not get a RETUL fit.....you got an "eyeball" fit that lasted 20 minutes. As others have asked, what did you pay? If it was more than $50, you should probably ask the store owner for a "real RETUL fit" or your money back.

I agree with this. If a fitter ask for more than $50 for what little work he did, you are getting ripped off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read this. did you get this?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the RETUL equipment was there and I thought we would go through it, but the fitter just skipped it and said that there was nothing to change.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$250
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
$250

Damn dude. You got worked. Sorry.

That is unethical for someone to take that for what you got iMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got my retul done, I wasn't even on the bike in the first 20 minutes. Goniometer measurements, flexibility tests, measurements... You did not get a Retul.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
$250

Yeah you got fucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a crime, and bike fitters should sit up and take note. Your situation and others I've seen like it is why I tell many people NOT to pay to be 'bike fit'. Yes, there are the few who pride themselves on providing great service. However, most from my experience (and yours), it is a cash cow that leaves the consumer not better off than when they started.

Over the many years, I have read many of Dan's articles on fitting and feel I can do a better job than what most shops are willing to provide.

Charging $250 for a 'fit' had better include more than an eyeball. What you got was the quality from a 'free fit with purchase of a bike'. If shops are wondering why they are having trouble surviving in todays business world, keep this sh1t up, and see how fast technology obsoletes them.

Honestly, with cell phone movies, power meters, and scaled back-drops for measurements, virtual fitting could done to surpass eyeballs.

onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit payment question [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Honestly, with cell phone movies, power meters, and scaled back-drops for measurements, virtual fitting could done to surpass eyeballs."

well, wait. there is no way that i could give you any kind of fit worth anything without the tooling in my fit studio. so, if i couldn't, you at home couldn't.

i don't want to throw it back on the OP, but how many years should you be a slowtwitcher before reading one of my regular articles on "reasonable bike fit expectations" should have sunk in?

what do you think i should do to better get just you folks (let alone others who don't read slowtwitch) to be smart shoppers? why should the fitters i train (i'm not retul) be painted with the brush painting bad fitters?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have a few times over the years a client has come in and not really needed any adjustments. No matter what, I take the motion capture, but if I don't think I'd really be of any benefit, I just say have a nice day. No charge.

If this, indeed, happened as you say (and I have no reason to believe it didn't), I would ask for a refund. Was this at a bike shop (not asking you to out them)? I guess what I'm asking is...Was this an employee, or was it the proprietor?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next