Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit for tall guy
Quote | Reply
I read the latest bike fit section on this site with great interest as Dan is also a tall guy. I am 6'5, long legs compared to torso. Right now I ride my Litespeed Classic (61cm) with some clip-on aerobars. I was just fine for my first two tri that had pretty hilly bike courses (Wildflower and Alcatraz).

My next one will be the Big Kahuna in Santa Cruz (half with pretty flat and windy bike course), so I am thinking now of buying a "tri bike". Pretty tough to find one to try on my size. Yesterday I had a quick ride on a 58cm Aegis Trident. Bike felt really good and I realized that a shorter top tube+steeper seat angle will help a lot in the aero position for confort, my current setup does not allow me to have the 90deg arm angle with the arm rest close to the elbows (right now my arm rest are in the middle of my fore arm).

So few questions, Dan mentioned in his article that he could not be fitted on a 58cm aegis because the head tube is long (17.5) compared to other bikes like QR. I felt allright on the aero position and "low" enough because the seat had to be setup pretty high to accomodate by long legs. Not sure waht to conclude on this.

One issue I had was that out of the saddle my legs sometimes hit the arm rest. That is a major problem that I also had even on my Litespeed before I went to the Airstrike with flip up aerobars... Granted that the stem was 1 or 2 cm too short on the bike I tried I am not sure it will be solved with the right stem.

Any help/comment from tall guys would be appreciated on either how to have the Aegis fit or where else to look.

Thanks,

- Lionel
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit for tall guy [Lionel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My reccomendation would be to get a professional fitting. This is the advice that is given to almost everyone looking for fit advice on this page, however it is especially true for you because you are not of "average"proportions.

I knokw that the often reccomended shop in the bay area is transition sprots (www.transitionsports.com) they are supposed to haev very good fitters who would be able to look at your proportions and put you on the appropriate bike.

I also think that this is especially true since this is going to be your first tri bike and are nto really sure what works for you as of yet.

If you really don't want to get a bike fitting for whatever reason, you could look under the bike review section in the slow twitch site and they have a section describing the different body types and the bikes that are appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit for tall guy [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI,

I have looked at this section this is why I asked my question in the first place. I was "professionaly" fitted on my road bike and ended up changing stem and bars after that because I was not really confortable on the bike so I do not trust these "professionals" that much. That being said I have never checked out transition sports so I'll do that. How about the new John Cobb Bicycle sport in SF ?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not from the area but there are plenty of people from that araea on this forum... if you had a thread with appropriate title you might be able to get their advice. I only bring up transition sports because someone from there posts from time to time, they are FIST fittign certified and they are constantly being reccommended on this site...

good luck but that is about all I can help you with...

One thing is if you are going to get fitted get it done by soemone who does a lot of tri fits, road fitters generally don't know enough about ti fit...

Sorry I can't be more help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, I agree with Taku that a good tri fit is in order since you seem difficult to fit.

That said, I'm also pretty tall (6'4") with longish legs, but they're not THAT. Anyway, I too ride a road bike (61 cm as well) set up as best I could in a "tri" position.

You mention Dan's fit comments about the Aegis due to its long head tube. I believe that Dan rides with a front end that's much lower than the average bear. The Aegis long head tube might not accomodate some of the more "aggressive" positions out there, like Dan's, but will work for a very large percentage of age groupers. So it may indeed work for you too. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Well, if you're like me and your position gets lower over time and you haven't yet "bottomed out", then you might come to a point where you wish you could set your bars lower but can't due to the head tube. I dunno.

As for your knees hitting the arm rests, it is fairly common for longer legged people. Dan has some great articles on setting up the "cockpit" to get more knee clearance while maintaining the cockpot distance. His articles cover doing this with Syntace bars, which I think is great since they have their armrests positioned further back than any other bar that I can think of. I think the articles are called Front End Makeover or something like that.
Quote Reply