Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit and new bike
Quote | Reply
Completed a number of sprint/olympic triathlons in past few years and Ironman Augusta 70.3 a couple of months ago. For these races I used a thirty year old Trek 1100 road bike with upgraded tires, wheels and components. I'm not fast, bike split at Augusta was 3:25.

I just signed up for IM Chattanooga next September and I am feeling a new bike is needed. I read almost everywhere about the value of a bike fit.

So how do I go about doing this? Do I buy the bike (how do I know it's the correct frame for me?) and then take it for a pro bike fit or do I just buy the bike at the same place I have it fit??

Travelling for a bike fit and/or bike purchase from my home in Pittsburgh, PA, what do I do about adjustments etc if I travel to an out of area shop for the bike and/or the fit?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit and new bike [Mike360guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a shop hopefully close to you that has a fit bike. You shouldn’t buy a bike before the fit. If they are trying to fit you to a bike they are doing it wrong. They should get the fit and then determine which bikes work. This may not be a bike they stock.

Also ask for fit pictures of previous people and determine if they actually look like they know what they are doing. I.e they look closer to pro TT riders and further away from mountain bikers. We’ve seen some brutal fits over the years from actual fitters. So don’t just assume they know what they are doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit and new bike [Mike360guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike360guy wrote:
Completed a number of sprint/olympic triathlons in past few years and Ironman Augusta 70.3 a couple of months ago. For these races I used a thirty year old Trek 1100 road bike with upgraded tires, wheels and components. I'm not fast, bike split at Augusta was 3:25.

I just signed up for IM Chattanooga next September and I am feeling a new bike is needed. I read almost everywhere about the value of a bike fit.

So how do I go about doing this? Do I buy the bike (how do I know it's the correct frame for me?) and then take it for a pro bike fit or do I just buy the bike at the same place I have it fit??

Travelling for a bike fit and/or bike purchase from my home in Pittsburgh, PA, what do I do about adjustments etc if I travel to an out of area shop for the bike and/or the fit?

Thanks

When starting from scratch without an existing bike and fit the best approach is usually an independent bike fitter. They don't have any motivation to sell you a particular brand or sell you something in stock. Before scheduling and attending a fit session be sure the fitter will be providing you a final fit sheet that can be translated to any bike (contact points by X,Y) along with some options for bikes/aerobar system combos that will work for your fit.

One of the biggest issues with fits seem to be saddle selection. The type and model of saddle used for your fit needs to be used for your bike build.

You can peruse the ST Bike Fitter Database to see fitter options in your area. As mentioned above, fitters still can yield bad fits, so it is always best if you can get first hand feedback from clients regarding fitters. After seeing a fitter you can come back to ST with any additional questions ahead of committing to a bike purchase.

To narrow things down on bike selection you should have a good idea of your budget. Unless you are an outlier w/r to body morphology there will likely be a number of bike options available to fit you. I'd suggest you buy a brand and model of bike that allows ordering parts and receiving service from a LBS.
Quote Reply