Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike case conundrum
Quote | Reply
I am travelling back home (Netherlands) for a bit and wanted to take my bike with me. So I rented a case from my LBS (pic below). The sucker is about 51"x37" (94cmx13cm). We own a fairly roomy sedan (at least for European standards), a 2008 Jetta, and the thing won't go in. Not in the trunk, not on the back seat. Am I missing something? What's the point of a case you can't transport by car? How am I supposed to get to the airport? How am I supposed to fit it into my sister-in-laws plug-in Prius, which has basically no trunk, if I can't fit it into her back seat? Is there some magic trick that I overlooked? Am I supposed to twist it just right and then it'll fit?

As it stands right now I think I'm hosed - I'm flying out tomorrow and it being Good Friday the LBS is of course closed...

Help?

(OK, so dropbox (or ST) is being silly and insists on putting the pic on it's head. It looks good in my file browser, and if I paste the link in my browser address bar. I say screw it, you get the picture (ha ha pun intended)).

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case conundrum [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody? Bueller?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same case, Scicon......but also have an SUV for transport. You may need to leave behind and have someone later call FedX and have it picked up and shipped directly to your address.....but will be very expensive. Unless you can get most of way in the trunk and securely tie down. Or go out and rent a bigger car.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case conundrum [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I've reconciled myself with the fact I'm not going to bring the bike :-(

I'm only going for 10 days, from Canada to Europe, so FedEx is not really an option. I don't drive, so renting a car is not an option. What I might do is shop around for a bike there to leave with my parents. That way I don't have to schlep anything around.

But thanks again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm only going for 10 days, from Canada to Europe, so FedEx is not really an option. I don't drive, so renting a car is not an option. What I might do is shop around for a bike there to leave with my parents. That way I don't have to schlep anything around.

But thanks again.

Can you leave your bike case at the airport? We stored our bike cases for a few weeks at the Milan airport and over night in Frankfurt. The fee is pretty nominal. Something like 5 euros a day maybe. On arrival you could put the bike together and store the case and it should be much easier to fit just the bike into your car.

Good luck.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case conundrum [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

But thanks again.

Can you leave your bike case at the airport? We stored our bike cases for a few weeks at the Milan airport and over night in Frankfurt. The fee is pretty nominal. Something like 5 euros a day maybe. On arrival you could put the bike together and store the case and it should be much easier to fit just the bike into your car.

Good luck.

Not a bad idea, but at that point I'd be looking at
$200 airfare for the case
$100 rental of the case
$50 storage of the case

If I do that 3 times I've basically paid for a beater bike over there (I know, I know. I could buy a case and the math changes. Same difference though).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't you fold the back seat? That's what I do and then slide the case in through the trunk. Some cars have split back seat. You can fold one and still have room for three people in the car.

For a bike case, you'll almost always need a car with folding seats (most work... get a hatchback if you want to be 100% sure) or a large vehicle like SUV or pickup.

I know bike cases don't fit in large taxis. Crown Vic for example. Need to take a van from/to the airport. They can't fold the seats because well you'll be sitting back there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the future get yourself a Ruster a sports Hen House. Love mine and it fits just about anywhere.
Quote Reply