Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike carrier
Quote | Reply
Looking for some suggestions for carrier my bike to races. have a GMC Acadia would love to out the bike inside but with all the other stuff coming along that is not a option.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [MetalMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuat NV rack.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Kuat NV rack.
+1

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my 1UP USA carrier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Kuat NV.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't GMC Acadia huge? I drive an old Jeep Wrangler (back when they were small and only had 2 doors) and the size large bikes fit easily in the back, with all our luggage packed around the bike, especially hers, plus my tri bag, and two people up front. No problem at all. Could fit another bag or two.

Should work, unless you are travelling with kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's part of the problem travailing with the kids. should i not be carrying the bike from the top tube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can, but it's much nicer to have a tray-style rack. Love my Thule T2 Pro.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Kuat Sherpa 2.0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the carriers that carry by top tube get in the way more when you are trying to use the trunk. I imagine travelling with kids, this will come up more frequently. For hitch racks that carry by top tube, you would have to remove the rack completely. Not too hard, but annoying. For a trunk rack (such as saris bones 2 which is compatible with your car), it would work but depending on how the rack attaches to your car you may end up having to take the whole thing off or re-do some of the clips every time you use the trunk. On my sedan I love my bones 3 trunk rack and while it is technically compatible with my GF's escape, it's too much of a bother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another for the Thule T2 Pro (Hitch style 2"). It came down between this and the Kuat Sherpa, but the Thule came in about $80 cheaper. It's got an internal lock for the hitch and built in locks to secure the bikes, which are nice, but not naĂ¯ve to think that will stop thieves. The Thule is a little heavier than the KS, but no big deal. The Thule is Made in America (well for most part), which is also a plus for me!!!

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [maltheleu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on 1UP USA,Loading bikes is easy and it doesn't touch your frame
Last edited by: E Ricca: May 3, 17 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Saris Super Clamp is a great bike rack also (hitch connected). The current 2 bike version would require removing the bike to get in the backend, but the new EX 2 bike version that has been announced has a hinge, so that you can keep your bike in the rack and just angle it away from the car to get in the back.

The 4 bike rack already had the hinge.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [tallytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tilt away feature on the T2 is much better than the Kuat (or almost all other hitch racks) as the release is located on the outside end of the rack. On the Kuat you have to reach through or around the bikes to tilt them away from the car to access the trunk/rear lift gate. Usually that is a recipe for an unwanted stain or scrape.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Kuat NV. I cannot say enough good things about this rack. Bikes, including multiple, go on and off fast. It is extremely secure during transport. The integrated cable lock is quick and easy. I wouldn't leave a bike on overnight, but it prevents a theft out of convenience (when there is no lock).

I went from a vehicle with space for the bike inside, to a vehicle with marginal space inside. I thought I would not like the bike on the outside, but the rack is awesome.

The only downside is that it is heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Kuat NV 2.0 has been awesome. We had to add a tow hitch with a 2 inch receiver. Rack is solid as a rock. Easy on, easy off for the bikes. However, I don't trust the integrated cable locks. I went to a local auto parts store and got a bike cable that locks on the hitch pin. I run that cable through the wheels and frames. I then use the integrated cables on the wheels. It isn't foolproof, but hopefully it will deter theft. The pro thieves can get any bike off nearly any rack. I always park or stop where I can keep an eye on the bikes. But for convenience and security of transport, it can't be beat. It seems a bit pricey to some people, but if has been worth every penny for us. In addition, I never worry about the roof clearance in a parking garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Swagman Semi this fall and have been very happy with it.
It comes with a hitch lock and integrated cable locks for your bikes, tales me about 5 seconds to load the bikes, and I have loaded everything from Road bikes to full suspension MTB bikes and it's been great so far.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat Sherpa 2.0
Quote Reply
Re: Bike carrier [maltheleu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maltheleu wrote:
Love my 1UP USA carrier.

This is a good choice. Just finishing installing the Smittybilt winch and new tires to the jeep, and will get this carrier done.
Last edited by: dave92: May 9, 17 0:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you all for the info I'm going to look into some of the ones everyone suggested
Quote Reply