Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Upgrade-is it worth it?
Quote | Reply
So I currently ride a Trek 1.1C 2014-carbon fork aluminum frame. Would it be worth it/make sense for me to upgrade to say a Carbon Madone 4.3? I race mostly draft legal. Would there be any time savings being in virtually the same position?
Last edited by: sk: Jul 25, 14 20:35
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade-is it worth it? [sk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time savings between two road bikes with identical positions would be pretty small. If the drivetrain shifts well for you (I've never used the Claris group, don't know how it performs) and you're not losing time due to poor shifts, then probably your biggest potential time savings would be in your (one-piece, skin-tight) clothing, (more areo) helmet, (lower rolling resistance) tires, (more aero) wheels, and ensuring that you're fit properly on your bike. The time savings between the two frames would be pretty negligible compared to those items. If you want to upgrade your bike, which I don't necessarily want to talk you out of, I'd look at an aero road bike. Unfortunately, they're generally more expensive. The Felt AR5 and the Cervelo S2 are close-ish in price (they're both $2500) to the Madone 4.3 and would make a bigger difference in aerodynamics.
Last edited by: nilloc: Jul 25, 14 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade-is it worth it? [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm definitely looking to upgrade so I will have a look at those bikes.
Quote Reply