Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Types
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at new bikes. I've been doing tiathlons, my question is; What would be a better bike, a good road bike or a triathlon bike? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Types [RoadSurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you have now?

IMO, every trigeek should first buy a road bike, ride with roadies and develop your handling skills before climbing on a tri bike. However, not everybody on the forum agrees with me, although many do.

The advantages of a road bike are that they are much more versatile, climb better and handle better. The advantages of a tri bike is that they are faster on flatter courses for most people. Also most people seem to be able to run better off the tri bike due to the steeper angle seat post.

Buy a tri bike if you only train solo and your only purpose for the bike is is tri training and racing,.

Buy a road bike if you group ride, road race, want to develop handling skills and race occassional tris/dus.

In reality you should have one of each. If not sure and can afford only one bike have a good look at the Cervelo Soloist.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Types [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was afraid that someone would say buy one of each, I thought about that but I don't think it would fly by the powers that be. I am riding an older Bianchi, I ride solo or with one other. I might buy a tri and put some money into the Bianchi.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Types [RoadSurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a softRide or TitanFlex. You can start it out as a road bike and completely change the geometry when you want to transition to a tri-bike.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply