Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Transport Recommendation
Quote | Reply
I am flying to Cozumel for the late November Ironman. This is my first event where I will need to bring my bike. I know Tri Bike Transport is available, but it is pricey (I think around $450). Here is the dilemma: should I buy a travel case and pay the airline fees, or just pay Transport? Clearly, this depends in part on how many other times I will use the case. Assume I will do so multiple times.

Is it simple to reconnect the handlebars, seat, petals, etc.? Will I need to pay a mechanic to do all of this for me in Cozumel? Does the disassembly involved in using a bike case screw up the gears and brakes. I have aero bars.

I apologize for the remedial questions. I am pretty new to cycling and bike mechanics.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on where you're flying from, and depending on the airline, it's pretty common to pay $100 to $150 each way to fly your bike. So there's $200 to $300 right there. And watch out if you have a broken flight leg and change airlines along the way, because the fees start all over again. And the cost of the case, too. And it can be a hassle to roll your bike box and suitcase and carry-on bag from the parking lot to the terminal while trying to help your travel partner juggle their luggage. And going through TSA and watching them open your carefully-packed bike, only to force the lid back on when they didn't repack it correctly. And your rental car at the other end will need to accommodate the bike box.

I travel with my bike a lot, but if TBT is available, it can be a great option. Frequently, they'll assemble (if need be) and check out your bike prior to the event. After the event, you just drop off the bike and forget about it. That can (and does) make for a great value in a lot of circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally use TBT and they are great. They didn't ship to Beach to Battleship so for that race I took a chance and tried this: http://www.shipbikes.com

I was nervous about using a cardboard box but it turned out great. Still have it and will use again if TBT isn't available. They were easy to work with too. Pedals and seat will have to come off -- easy (just be sure to mark your seat post). And you will need to loosen the handlebars and fold them down. Seriously if my wife & I can do it, I'm sure you could too ;) Might be an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Poon. It's a huge consideration when going to a race. You'll notice I'm sponsored by TriBike Transport, so full disclosure there. But their service to races is pretty seamless. After an Ironman it is so nice to wheel your bike a block to the TBT tent, drop it off and then pick it up at your local shop. It makes for a much nicer overall experience. I've done Cozumel twice and pickup/drop off is super easy there with TBT. It's a great race and I think you will like the new swim course. There are several threads about it that you can research on Slowtwitch but feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions. Good luck!

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother used TBT for Alcatraz.

Hes pretty particular about most things and had nothing but great things to say about TBT.

Put on your pedals and go!! Plus they take 1 bag for you.

Airlines blow a$$ anyways. dont give them any more $ than you already are.

Michigan Awesome

Hand2Hand Ministries
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I am flying to Cozumel for the late November Ironman. This is my first event where I will need to bring my bike. I know Tri Bike Transport is available, but it is pricey (I think around $450). Here is the dilemma: should I buy a travel case and pay the airline fees, or just pay Transport? Clearly, this depends in part on how many other times I will use the case. Assume I will do so multiple times.

Is it simple to reconnect the handlebars, seat, petals, etc.? Will I need to pay a mechanic to do all of this for me in Cozumel? Does the disassembly involved in using a bike case screw up the gears and brakes. I have aero bars.

I apologize for the remedial questions. I am pretty new to cycling and bike mechanics.

Some airlines charge more for international flights for bike transport. United is $200 each way to Mexico from the USA. Delta, American, US Air are $150.

So you're looking at $300-$400 on the plane combined with all the worries that a) your bike is going to be on the same flight as you, b) it's going to get there unbroken, c) you get a rental car big enough, d) how savvy you are reassembling parts of your bike. Are you flying into Cancun or Cozumel? That also makes a difference.

Use TBT.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had to fly to 1 race and used Tri Bike Transport. It was awesome!!! No hassle, no headaches, no worries.

I'll use them again anytime I fly and their service is available.

So much less stress!!!!!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you flying from?

Have you tried any bike packing / bike case rental services in your city?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [efdan61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flying from Boston, returning to JFK (both on JetBlue, which lets you check one bag for free). Going into Cancun. Looking at the Mayanair flight from Cancun to Cozumel.

I like the looks of the Ruster Armored Hen House, which supposedly gets your luggage under the surcharge threshold. That would require a higher upfront investment and bike reassembly. I have never reassembled a bike. I do suspect I will travel enough over the next few years to spread out the cost of the Hen House.

This is my first full IM, so it maybe it is best just to pay up and reduce the stress.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Cozumel and planning on using TBT and here is why. I used them for Ironman Florida (my 1st) and they are the best. After the race you're not going to feel like messing around with your bike to much. With TBT you just drop it off, they take off the pedals and you go drink a beer. Also where is your hotel and how are you getting your bike from the race to the hotel? I can't imagine trying to get a cab after an Ironman lugging a bike around. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [TexanInIowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used TBT 3 times and it went great. Tried packing it up in a bike box and flying with it and it didn't go so well (airline lost my bike) and it was more expensive. Unless it's not available for a given race, I'll use TBT every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBike Transport! I assume you have a nice bike - do you trust TSA unpacking and the repacking your bike!!??
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Flying from Boston, returning to JFK (both on JetBlue, which lets you check one bag for free). Going into Cancun. Looking at the Mayanair flight from Cancun to Cozumel.

I like the looks of the Ruster Armored Hen House, which supposedly gets your luggage under the surcharge threshold. That would require a higher upfront investment and bike reassembly. I have never reassembled a bike. I do suspect I will travel enough over the next few years to spread out the cost of the Hen House.

This is my first full IM, so it maybe it is best just to pay up and reduce the stress.

I appreciate all the feedback!

JetBlue is $100 roundtrip for the bike. You're going to have issues with getting from Cancun to Cozumel either by air or sea. Imagine schlepping around your bike box through taxis and ferries. I also imagine the Mayan Air flight from Cancun to Cozumel is on a real small plane... could they even accommodate a bike box?

The fine print with the Ruster bags is the wheels. Sure, the bike bag might fit under the free luggage dimensions but that doesn't include the wheel bag which you will need to check in as luggage as wheel bags don't fit the carry on restrictions. So you're looking at three pieces of luggage (your suitcase, the bike, the wheels). So you're paying for two of those. As you noted, the Ruster requires probably the most reassembly of any bike box. Removing the forks on a bike like a Trek Speed Concept (or those with integrated cockpits) can be quite the undertaking for someone who is not a bike wrench.

Just use TBT and eliminate all the stress.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it seems like quite a bit of money, but trust me if you're not flying directly to Cozumel then use TBT. It's a big pain in the ass to lug that big box all around town. You'll be pumped to get down there and you won't mind it so much at first, but you're not going to feel like dealing with it after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a big group of folks from Hawaii do IMCZ last December. It got us a pretty penny to get TBT to offer the service for us. Was it worth it? Yes! I have used them twice and the first time they seriously damaged my rear derailleur. This time the bike came home fine, but rusty. All exposed hardware had a fine coat of rust on it. And the chain was pretty useless. But we have a bit more ocean to cover than you do so I blame our location and not TBT for that.

HTH.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol TBT is almost 3x more expensive than bringing it on the airline from where I live. No thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN - correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think USAir is now $200 each way with an 'oversize' checked bag....i.e. a bike case??

http://www.usairways.com/...baggagepolicies.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a case and fly frequently with my bike but have done Cozumel twice and elected to go with TBT. Why? Because I flew into Cancun and knew the case would be a bag drag from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen, then the ferry ride, then the taxi from the ferry to your hotel. If you plan to fly direct into Cozumel then there would be a lot less hassle to take it with you, but you should run the numbers first to compare to TBTs cost (including how much insurance you will buy from them). If you fly a lot though it's worth it to have your own case and you should be able to assemble and dissamble your bike by yourself. Make sure you do this before you ever travel with a case. I've found the TBT service to be excellent but choose my own case more frequently because it is so much cheaper. I've already flown 3 times roundtrip with it this year for a TOTAL of $325 in bike fees...about the same cost as one time with TBT.

Edit - my bike has never been damaged by TSA and there is always a sheet inside saying they've looked when I pick it up.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Aug 27, 14 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
TriBike Transport! I assume you have a nice bike - do you trust TSA unpacking and the repacking your bike!!??
-

You should make a full disclaimer statement such as:

I have a personal AND professional relationship with Tri Bike Transport.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
GMAN - correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think USAir is now $200 each way with an 'oversize' checked bag....i.e. a bike case??

http://www.usairways.com/...baggagepolicies.html

Bicycles
Bicycles and bicycle cases under 62 in/157 cm in total dimensions (length + width + height) will be accepted as checked baggage as a first or second checked bag. Bicycles and bicycle cases (regardless of the size of the bike within the case) over 62 in/157 cm in total dimensions will be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $150* per direction. One item of bicycle equipment is defined as 1 non-motorized touring or racing bicycle with a single seat.

The passenger should prepare the bicycle for transportation. The bicycle should be placed in a cardboard or hard-cased bike container. Bicycles not enclosed in a case are still accepted: the handlebars must be fixed sideways and the pedals removed, or bicycle handlebars and pedals must be encased in plastic, foam or similar material for transport. The passenger will be required to sign a release form.

http://reservations.usairways.com/...ge/specialitems.html

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Aug 27, 14 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly you are right and I agree with you 100%. In fact, I have posted a similar disclaimer a number of times. Further, I have had so many professional and personal relationships in the triathlon community I may just need a general disclaimer in my signature :-)

To the OP – please note the above. I was responding quickly while on the fly this morning.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Aug 27, 14 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Recommendation [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice - thanks for the correction!!!
Quote Reply