Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom)
Quote | Reply
I've decided to buy a Fuji Norcom 2.5, my first (new) tri bike investment. My only issue is, I'm not sure which size is right for me. I would consider having a fitting, but I'd like to start with the best frame size for me, and it isn't immediately clear by looking at the geometry charts. I'm trying to decide between the Medium (51cm) or M/L (53cm). I'm about 5'9 and typically ride a 53-54 road bike, but the geometry of the Norcom appears to be somewhat odd.

Would anyone mind sharing their opinions or personal experiences regarding which size might be best? I included a short video of me riding the 51 on a trainer, in case that is helpful. I also pasted a link to the Norcom geometry chart below.

I'm going to try to take some more measurements of myself this weekend, so that may help narrow it down further.

Norcom geometry: https://archive.fujibikes.com/...orcom-straight-25-eu
Video:

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [ofeakale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ofeakale wrote:
I'm not sure which size is right for me. I would consider having a fitting, but I'd like to start with the best frame size for me, and it isn't immediately clear by looking at the geometry charts

I believe you're going about this in reverse. Don't buy a frame and then fit yourself to it. Get a decent bike fit completed, then use your fit specs to locate the most favorable frame size. Then you spend the bucks.

My .02.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'd size up one, at least from that video. But as above, a fit would sort you out.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input! I agree that a fit would be useful. Part of the reason for the upfront question is due to budget - I can get a steep discount on Fujis (and possibly Kestrels), so it puts the Norcom in my price range whereas most other comparable bikes are still out of reach.

Admittedly this is somewhat backwards, but I thought some folks with more knowledge/experience than me might be able to take a quick look and say something "that looks like it fits well" or "that's too small for you," (as you did).

The Norcoms are supposedly designed to be highly adjustable ("Fit Comes First" is their tagline!) though I'm not sure if this is actually the case or more of a marketing gimmick. Either way, even if I'm not approaching this in the ideal way, I appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw I'm slightly taller than you and ride a 54 Track Elite (similar, but not exactly the same as the Norcom) That said, it's easier to add stack and reach to a bike than it is to remove it... hence why the fit would really benefit. It's tough to tell from that video... you don't look like a gorilla riding that bike, but you look slightly squished. Might look a lot different with a longer stem/different cockpit though.

The stem is really the only pain with adjustability on the norcom's if you want to keep the flush lines.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The norcom is relatively long in it's sizes (compared to some of the more common high/short bikes). I'm 5/11 and am on the 53, and I would probably be fine going one size up. Hard to tell from the video but it looks like you'd be okay on the 53 if you wanted to get longer (i.e. it looks like you have a fair amount of spacers under the stem, so the extra 10mm stack going to the 53 wouldn't be an issue).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 5’9” and I was on a m/L a few years back and it was perfect. Use the money you save and buy some better aero bars. The Fuji ones are simply junk...bordering on dangerous, unless they have changed them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I appreciate the advice and I agree - the aerobars are definitely (still) one of the weak points of the bike. I'll probably give them a try initially but that might be one of the first upgrades I make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, I am assuming you work for PBS. I do as well in CO and got the Kestrel 5000sl. Im your height and got the 55 and it fits perfect! I would lean towards that bike, its a awesome rig!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [jaja518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I hadn't thought all that much about the Kestrels, but that bike is gorgeous! I'm glad you like yours and it fits well - I'll check it out and take a look at the geometry charts. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - yes exactly, it's like the reach measurements are disproportionate to every other measurement in the geometry. I'm definitely not an expert and trying to make sense of the charts is fairly confusing for me. The 53 felt pretty good but I'm worried about getting a bike that's too big. I've had a couple bike shops tell me that when buying a tri bike I should "just get the smallest frame you can fit on" which seems crazy to me and didn't exactly inspire confidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5’ 10” and am on the 53 (M/L) and have the 90mm +8 degree stem. You would likely be able to fit yourself to either. I think the biggest thing is the stack, if you go to the 51 the stack may be very low and you may need the +17 degree stem.
If you have access to both just do your best to get a feel and go with what feels best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle is too high. Fix that, and you definitely don't want to size up.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 24, 18 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [kanman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ride really slack? 53 and your 5"10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts and the additional data point. Yes, the 53 would add 1 cm of stack (and 1.5 cm or reach) vs. the 51, according to Fuji. The stack does feel a little low on the 51, but the reach on the 53 (42cm) seems like it could be a bit long (?). I haven't been able to try them both in one place, and neither one feels horribly big/small at first glance, which is making comparisons difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback Andrew. So I'm probably oversimplifying here, but it sounds like your view is aside from lowering the saddle height a bit, the 51 (as shown in the video) looks like the right frame size? Would the short stack concern you at all? Is there anything specific about the 53 that you envision being too big, or just a general feeling from your experience? Thanks again for your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the time you lower the saddle the several centimeters required, the 53 will likely be too tall, even if you have the stem at the minimum height, as is aerodynamically ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No not at all. The Fuji has a pretty long reach for a 53. It is a M/L and and fits a bit bigger than a 53. My saddle is actually pretty close to the crank center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Size / Fit Help Please (Fuji Norcom) [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to get a video of the 53 on a trainer - it's not perfect (flat pedals and different norcom model), but the frame geometry is exactly the same as the 2.5 I have so hopefully this helps with the comparison. I also lowered the saddle a bit on the 51 as you suggested. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally got some video of me on a M/L (53) Norcom so uploading that for comparison. It's a different model with flat pedals, but the frame geometry is the same between them so hopefully this helps. Any additional thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Quote Reply