Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Situation
Quote | Reply
Ok, so 7 years ago I tore my ACL and got reconstructive surgery to fix it. Fast forward a couple years, the reconstructed ACL has failed and I have to get a new LCL in addition to the ACL. I also tore my meniscus. The original ACL surgery was not done well, so in order to get a new one in the correct position, I have to get a bone graft, wait 4 to 6 months and then get the ACL/LCL surgery, leaving me out of triathlon racing for 2 years. I just got the bone graft done and they were planning on fixing the meniscus but are now fixing that during the second surgery due to the amount of time I would have had to be non weight bearing. So it looks like i won't be riding for a long time.

So now, the important part and why I have come to Slowtwitch. Last year, before I started having knee issues, I bought a new Giant Trinity Pro 1. It has probably 5 rides outside and has been used in 1 race, which was a sprint. What should I do bike wise? Keep the trinity, or sell it and upgrade once I can race again. I know there are some mixed emotions on the new bikes coming out, but just wanted to get some input.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Situation [dsTri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep the bike. The latest and greatest new bikes aren't going to be much better than what you already own. That's if your bike is a good fit for you and you plan to return to racing at some point in the next year or two. You made the initial investment and, unless you have discretionary money coming out the wazoo, you should hang on to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Situation [dsTri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been throughthe same stuff. Now waiting for a meniscus surgery.

Keep the bike and train like normal in the time between now and the final surgery.
I did that when I got my second acl in the left knee. It helped me a lot, when I had my final surgery.

After the final surgery do low gear training like the training plan advices you to - it does here in Denmark.
When you can train harder - 3-4 months after the surgery - then put more power in the pedals

Remember - stay positive - you will be back - stronger and hungry ☺
Quote Reply