Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda
Quote | Reply
My basic question is this....is an athlete allowed to have their shoes already clipped into their pedals in T1 at IM CA and are they allowed to run to the mount line in bare feet?

I know a few years ago we got into a situation with some mdot races allowed this and and some didn't. I can't find a global rule in the big book of Wanda Law http://www.ironman.com/~/media/0e46954d8bac42859b5b1add9554fd11/2017%20rules.pdf and I can't find any mention in the Canada specific rules short of...Rule #7, page 21 in Athlete Guide: “Helmets, bike shoes, and other cycling gear must be placed in a transition bag. Shoes and shirt must be worn at all times.” Clearly this "shoes must be worn at all times" think aint true 'cause you run swim swim exit to T1 bare feet.

Anyway - little help from someone who's race IM Canada recently and has knowledge on this issue?

Ian
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jul 21, 17 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was no shoe clipped in the bike in T1, IIRC. Shoes had to be in the gear bag. And don't leave food on your bike or in your bag overnight (if you were planning on it). There are bears everywhere.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay but just to be clear - were the bears allowed to do a flying mount or did they go to the mount line in their bike shoes? :)

Thx.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Okay but just to be clear - were the bears allowed to do a flying mount or did they go to the mount line in their bike shoes? :)

Thx.

Ian
I wasn't there for their T1 exit. They were probably DQ'd for foregoing the port-a-potties and just pooping in the woods.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
My basic question is this....is an athlete allowed to have their shoes already clipped into their pedals in T1 at IM CA and are they allowed to run to the mount line in bare feet?

I know a few years ago we got into a situation with some mdot races allowed this and and some didn't. I can't find a global rule in the big book of Wanda Law http://www.ironman.com/~/media/0e46954d8bac42859b5b1add9554fd11/2017%20rules.pdf and I can't find any mention in the Canada specific rules short of...Rule #7, page 21 in Athlete Guide: “Helmets, bike shoes, and other cycling gear must be placed in a transition bag. Shoes and shirt must be worn at all times.” Clearly this "shoes must be worn at all times" think aint true 'cause you run swim swim exit to T1 bare feet.

Anyway - little help from someone who's race IM Canada recently and has knowledge on this issue?

Ian

Glad that you asked this because my athlete guide (from 7/6/17) stated that shoe etc could be on the bike or in a bag... I just looked and the guide has been updated .
Anyway, to answer our question - the rule states all cycling gear goes into the gear bag, and shoes and shirt must be worn at all times. This rule #7 is within the cycling rules of the event, and does not pertain to the swim portion of the day.

I watched videos of last year's event and only the pros were running out of T1 with shoes clipped in.

Now, whether any or all of these rules are enforced for the bears, I s'pose that depends.... on how... un-bear-ably hot it is .
Last edited by: sixt3: Jul 21, 17 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bears in that race are the most flagrant drafters and it's as if the marshalls aren't willing to give them a stand or enguage them in any way. So lame.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This rule #7 is within the cycling rules of the event, and does not pertain to the swim portion of the day."

Okay....so if it's rule #7 within the cycling rules and ONLY pertains to cycling event......then I guess my question is about the rules that pertain to transition portion of the event.

Jimmy, I know you're out there...let's hope you're scanning the forum today. Let us know.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy isn't responding?

Now we will never know how the bears got on their bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shoes on bikes - clean transition (I.e. Gear bags).

Bears have their own set of rules.

Christine - RD
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May I ask another, semi-related question?
I think I read, in fact I am fairly sure, but cannot find it now... Athletes get a $25 meal coupon?? Where is the info on that? Is there a list of participating businesses? Do all athletes get this? ie IM, 1/2 IM , relay members ...?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
I think I read, in fact I am fairly sure, but cannot find it now... Athletes get a $25 meal coupon?? Where is the info on that? Is there a list of participating businesses? Do all athletes get this? ie IM, 1/2 IM , relay members ...?

thanks
If you're a bear and walk into any eating establishment, the food is free and you won't need a meal coupon. You'll probably have the place to yourself, All-You-Can-Eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:

thanks

It only shows up on the full IM Canada site under the Race Info menu, third item from the bottom, Dine Out Program which opens a PDF list of participating establishments: LINK

So it appears to be offered only for the full IM distance. When I raced the full in 2013 the coupon covered only the race participant.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Clipped into Pedals in T1, Ironman Cananda [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I KNEW I saw it before, but could not recall where. Some friends are in the relay and asked me if I knew whether they would get a coupon, too. I figured someone here would know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of off-topic here but I am signed up to volunteer on Sunday but haven't gotten any info from the volunteer director, has anyone heard or gotten any info at all yet?
Quote Reply