Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike Rules clarification
Quote | Reply
In light of discussions about the fuzzy 2007 future of bike rules I asked USA Triathlon the direct question. Here's their very clear answer...

Tom,

USAT Competitive Rules have always allowed for the type of innovation your company's products represent. We have no intention of changing that. Currently, and as far as I know in the future, only ITU style events disallow any but standard double-diamond frame bikes. So, where there are ITU style events in the US, those restrictions apply. For all our USAT rules age group and pro races, there will be no changes and your products will continue to be legal for competition.

Sincerely,

Charlie Crawford
USAT Commissioner of Officials

...granted, this is USA Triathlon, not the USCF. Nevertheless, I don't think age-group triathletes have anything to worry about--come 2007 or beyond.

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, seems real dumb that any group has rules that outlaws beam bikes. If there was a safety issue, I could understand, but why stop folks from using the fastest technology that is safe. Guess they should outlaw aerobars since they make one faster and are not as safe. And as the general population ages, more folks may find beam bikes are the only way they can still enjoy the sport.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for clarification, for those of us who race bikes:

USCF racing, will follow UCI rules/restrictions starting Jan 1 2007

Frames such as Softride, TitanFlex, Hooker, BP stealth will be illegal for use, as will forks such as the Reynolds ouzo Pro Aero and disc wheel covers like CH aero.

http://www.uci.ch/.../rules_2004/ch01.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the changes? What are these groups afraid of?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the UCI.

That's the way it is in most countries now, they conform to UCI rules.

Makes racing uniform across continents - as there are rules to equipment use.

This does not apply to triathlon, just road racing.

This means I have to set my time trial bike up to conform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember watching the olympics are few years ago as hearing all the fighing in speed skating. Some countries were using clap skates and other countries why crying foul since the clap skaters were faster.

I sure would rather see a sport where they support innovation, rather than keep people on a horse and buggy.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that there are some equipment rules that make sense, to level the playing field, however I don't think that we can complain too much, we have bikes like the P3 Carbon that are legal, and probably as aero as the old Hooker TT frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, for one, applaud the new rules.

You will never have to worry about getting beat by a guy on a boingy bike. Also, you can have nice, round-tubed steel bikes.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [Ima Jerkov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all the motor anyway. Steel frame or Carbon P3, it's all about the engine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [Ima Jerkov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you afraid of a boingy bike? I think all bikes should be one speed, one size, fat tires, one color and are made only by

one mfg. There is your only the motor matters if that is all you care about.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that USACycling has decided *not* to go along with UCI regs, except for particular races. From the rulebook:

(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at
events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international
competition or national teams.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, that's news to me, I have not heard that
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]From the rulebook:

(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at
events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international
competition or national teams.[/reply]

That is the current rule. USCF still intends to use UCI equipment regulations for all races starting in 2007, but they dropped that language from the 2005 rulebook. It was in the 2004 version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, This issues comes up frequently. For UCI the main reasons for adopting the new rules were safety, and economics. Its tough for $50K territory. As much as everyone likes to say its the engine its not. The standard bike hour record was about 49 Km. The unlimited bike record was 56km. So the UCI decided to somewhat stop the arms race, basically to prevent the F1 car race scenario were a few teams can spend the rest into also ran status. We can argue that the details of th rules are silly but having rules defining what an acceptable bike is makes sense.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no change to the original change to UCI rules. 1/1/07 is the date. There is some confusion, however there have been no changes from the original decision.

I can ask USAC directly for clarification.

- Gary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this e mail exchange with Charlie myself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: Fri 5/20/2005 7:32 AM
To: Charlie Crawford
Cc:
Subject: Bike question

Dear Charlie,

Are you going to be adopting UCI regs on bicycle design in the future? A
whole bunch of us would really be relieved if the answer is no.

Douglas A. Rogers

biketestblog.blogspot.com, bunnyman institute
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Douglas,

It pleases me no end to have an opportunity to make a bunch of folks happy, so...

We have no intention nor has it even been discussed to alter our bicycle design rules. From the beginning, USA Triathlon has promoted innovation by having rules that are restrictive in nature. Though that may sound contradictory, it means that we have expressed what is illegal. Our rules state what cannot be done. If a new design fits within our guidelines, then it is legal. That has allowed such innovations as beam bikes, aero-bars, aero-drink systems, to mention just a few. What our rules do not allow are recumbent bicycles, fairings and front disk wheels.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Charlie Crawford
USAT Commissioner of Officials
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There is no change to the original change to UCI rules. 1/1/07 is the date. There is some confusion, however there have been no changes from the original decision.

I can ask USAC directly for clarification.

I have asked USAC directly...three times. I have received several different answers. In the first reply they stated USAC still intended to follow UCI rules as of 1/1/2007. I replied asking why that plan was no longer mentioned in the 2005 rulebook. I received a reply from a different USAC representative stating that the new rules would only apply to the subgroups mentioned in a previous post (national team, U23 riders). I sent another follow up asking if the rule change would apply at masters national championship events. This time a third USAC representative (all sent from the same, official USAC email address...) stated that as the new rules would apply to all USAC events, and all classes, it would certainly apply to national championships.

My take on it is that USAC has no idea what they are going to do on 1/1/2007. I've given up trying to get an answer, as it seems each new attempt generates a new one!

I'm hoping they clarify the issue in the 2006 rulebook.

Scott
Last edited by: smartin: Oct 9, 05 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"For UCI the main reasons for adopting the new rules were safety, and economics."

This is pathetically laughable. And I'm not saying that as a slam agaist you at all, rather at the UCI. Economics? Come on. Look at the prices of the Softride bikes. They're actually MUCH lower than any of the bikes you see in the Tour.

Economics? You'll have to do better than that.

My guess? They didn't invent it in France...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [smartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott, thanks for the update

Not that it matters as I am UCI legal anyway, however I would hope to know what the rule is before USCF Masters TT Nationals in 2007.

I will be at Antelope Island in 2006, however the rules will not be enforced there.

- Gary
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [smartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your right and lets not forget that a lot of the rules were designed to fight the great Mr Obree...

A man who set records on a home made bicycle!!!!!
Ya can't get much cheaper than that...you can tell Mr Obree is Scottish can't ya.

As for Boardmans 56km hr record, all the stuff he used from memory was avaliable off the shelf and and would of given change from $10K
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"For UCI the main reasons for adopting the new rules were safety, and economics."

This is pathetically laughable. And I'm not saying that as a slam agaist you at all, rather at the UCI. Economics? Come on. Look at the prices of the Softride bikes. They're actually MUCH lower than any of the bikes you see in the Tour.

Economics? You'll have to do better than that.

My guess? They didn't invent it in France...

Your looking the rules much too narrowly. The UCI didn't outlaw softride or titanflex by name, but any non double diamond frame. Look at the US cycling teams bikes that they bragged cost well over $50 K a piece and the Lotus bike that probably cost multiples of that. Again I don't necessarily like how they chose to fix the problem, but their was a hugh problem at the time with the rich teams trying to buy wins. I would have prefered that they require that any equipment have sold to the public, say 500 copies prior to use in any race.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [triguynz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your right and lets not forget that a lot of the rules were designed to fight the great Mr Obree...

A man who set records on a home made bicycle!!!!!
Ya can't get much cheaper than that...you can tell Mr Obree is Scottish can't ya.

As for Boardmans 56km hr record, all the stuff he used from memory was avaliable off the shelf and and would of given change from $10K

Thats one of the UCI biggest problems, when Moser started the superbike craze everything he did was allowed. It wasn't until Obree started setting records that they got all upset. Boardmans bike wouldn't have given much change from $10K. The Mavic disk and IO front were probably $3 K at the time the lotus frame was quite expensive and he had a custom front fork with aero bars built in, as well as a second set of custom aerbars for the superman position. The crank was custom and the tires were about $200 a piece. Now put in all the wind tunnel time and you get a rather large figure in the 80's for a one time use bike.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary:

Why are CH Aero Wheel covers illegal? A regular disc wheel is legal so what is the difference. I know about $1,000 difference in price but besides the money why make something that is reasonable in price illegal to use?

Thanks

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rules clarification [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are illegal for UCI racing due to the trule that no aerodynamic fairings can be used. A true disk is structural.

Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next