Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Poll
Quote | Reply
What MPH do you guys ride at for how long on what bikes?

on a 26 mile ride this morning on a 38lbs Schwinn Seirra (mid 80s bike) I had an average pace of 13.5 MPH.

Yeah I know my speed isn't great but I'm just starting and getting used to road bikes over mountain bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Poll [John C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eeegads.... a 38 lb. bike? If you rode a 38 lbs. road bike for 26 miles and averaged 13.5 miles. I'd put that into the really good category (I think). I've never ridden a 38 lb bike before. So, I'm not sure how much you should adjust for a typical rode bike ride of 26 miles.

However, to give you an idea of what you might shoot for as a new road biker/triathlete. A decent road bike should weigh under 25 lbs. The higher end TimeTrial (TT) bike weight under 17-18 lbs.

Assuming a sub 25 lb. bike (let's say 22 lbs) you should not have any trouble averaging between 15 -18 mphs (assuming a relatively flat course with light wind). A lot depends upon the course and wind. So, to answer your question about average speed is a bit difficult.

The best question to ask is not how fast you go, but how much effort is being made for the average speed you are obtaining. One key way to determine effort is through the use of a HRM. Your goal should be to obtain the lowest ave. HR for the given distance/speed you are attempting.

In essence, it's isn't all about speed. It's is more important to know the effort expelled for the speed obtained. Reducing the effort AND obtaining higher speed means you are improving. That is what will make you a better athlete and the resulting increase in speed.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt S22, carbon cranks, ksyrium rims, easton seatpost man what a bike!

Can cruise an IM course in a fast 6.0 hours. - HeHe - here's the punchline. "then I can run 8 min. miles for 26.2 - What a bike!

Slow down or Go Around.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Poll [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Varies. 24-25 mph for me ... pushing for 26+ MPH next year ... bike weight matters little on a flat TT course, but my S-Works weighs 17.5 lbs anyway. Leg power is most important in time trailing, being able to push a big gear for a set distance at LT tolerance. Leg Power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, the most important thing at first is to just have fun with your training. It's awesome to have another future tri-geek in our presence.

To give you some idea of speed, I bought my first road bike about 10 years ago. It was a Cannondale road bike. I just slapped aero bars on it and entered a triathlon. I averaged just under 18 mph.

I proceeded to train and spend all of my disposable income on triathlon stuff, and several years and several thousand dollars later, I did the same triathlon averaging about 21 mph.

I don't know if it was the training that had any bearing on it, or wheather it was the substantial outlay in cash that made me faster (I'm pretty sure it was the 10 extra years of training), but I do know I have had a blast the whole way.

So no matter what speed you ride, it's alot more fun than sitting on the couch getting fat and lazy... On second thought, sitting on the couch getting lazy is probably more fun than training, but probably not as good for you.
Quote Reply
I'm slow! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or at least relatively so. I did a 20 miler this morning at 15.8mph average on an old Cannondale ('96 I think) with toolkit, frame pump, a quart of water and 20 extra pounds that I *honest* have no idea how it got right there on my gut. Most of my other rides, from 12 mile quickies to 40 mile LSD's are at the same pace or close.

Personally, I'm not worried about speed right now, or more precisely, I'm not doing speed specific work like intervals. I do everything in z1, low z2, with occasional forays into z3 on hills, and make it a point to never get into my big chainring. My first A race is a sprint in mid-June, so I have 6 months to lift weights, lose weight, increase my aerobic base, buy some lighter wheels, optimize my bike fit, improve my bike-handling skills, etc. to build to what I hope will be a 21 mph average over my 12 mile sprint race with legs left to run a 5K. I must confess to a fantasy of being able to maintain 20mph over a 1/2IM course in Sept. 03, but would say that is downright unrealistic for next year.

In short, if you're just starting out, don't worry too much about your speed. I would hazard a guess that the real bike "monsters" out there, those 24-25 mph studs, have been biking for a long time, and probably started out where you and I are now. It takes a while to build the endurance base for things like that.

Good Luck,

Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I recall that bike is a sort of commuter/touring/off-road tank. It isn't the weight, but the drive train resistance, frame flex, tire's rolling resistance, lack of aerodynamics, and out of shape driver. :), Spend $5000 and get a decent bike with a set of aerobars and you be hitting 14 mph in no time.... :) j/k

FWIW, I'm 60, and did a 60 mile TT last November averaging 19.8 mph, drafting for the first 30 miles. Flat, slightly windy, out and back course. I'm a BOP racer.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Poll [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

The great thing from where you sit, yes on a meaty bike, is that your gains initially will be huge and quite motivating. If this is a sport you think you will stick with, buy an entry level bike. There are bargains on very decent bikes all over the place for under $1,000. I made a huge jump in speed simply by switching from a used steel specialized to an upper-end tri-bike. I used the steel road bike during my first tri season where I did 4 sprints, never once breaking 19 MPH on the bike. Switching to a better bike at the end of teh season, one that fit me correctly, bumped me above 20 with no change in training. Within five months, admittedly with a better endurance base at that point, I averaged 21 on my first 1/2 IM. The was within my first calendar year in the sport. My point is that a well-fitted bike will serve you well, as will commitment to a solid training program. You will hit the 18-plus sustained rides in no time. Happy training.

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo p2k. i average about 25-26, on a hilly route. your pace is pretty good considering the weight of your bike. i bet your components arent in the best working order either. good luck
Quote Reply