Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Worry
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new Cervelo P2K and love the bike but am wondering if it is too small. It is a 54 inch 650cc model. I had to get 650cc since I have 650 Zipps and the 54 inch was the biggest 650 Cervelo came in.

If it helps, I am 5'11 and buy 32" inseam pants. I had to have 2 spacers put in the stem and riser plates put under the syntace aerobars. Is it common to make these kind of adjustments?

I trust the LBS that fitted me but given that I had a 57 inch QR Kilo before and the addition of the "extra" parts added for fit, I just wonder if the frame is too small.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Worry [Hammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, but even with no further information that sounds too small. You are probably like me in that we both have short torso lengths, which may be why your fitter put you on such a small bike with risers. I am about your height and also wear 32" pants but I ride the 57cm One. I would guess the 56cm P2K would be a more appropriate size for you, but ask someone who is familiar with tri bike fitting before switching frames.

dave judice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that much spacers, IMHO, it's too small. Your taller than me and I just fit on a 54. Though I don't have a Cervelo. I had a Kestrel KM40 which had mucho spacers and aero bar lifters. I was ridiculous! Sorry to say that th LBS wanted to just get you on the bike. Go get one that fits and switch to 700 size wheels. Again, just my .02 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not advocating your bike buying decisions based on someone else, but since you already purchased the bike and would like some approval of your decision - I am 5'10" - 5'11", and also buy 32 in. inseam pants, and I ride a 54cm Cervelo One. I am not sure how many spacers I have below my stem, but I do know that this size bike is maybe a tad big for me (I'm on a 90mm stem).

Don't worry about the QR being a 57cm, they don't measure their frames the same way as Cervelo, and QR's top tubes tend to run small for their listed sizes anyways. Sounds to me like you are pretty close to the right size bike (based on my completely unqualified opinion). If anything, I've been told by respected bike shop guys that it's way better to be on a bike too small, than one too big.

Enjoy the new ride, I love my One and those P2K's sound like an upgrade in all the right places.

--------I originally posted this before I realized there were replies above. I guess this shows you why going by height and what length pants you buy is not the way to buy a bike. I say, if you trust the LBS, then they probably put you on the right bike. If your worried about it, post your picture on here and see what some of the people say about your position.---------

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Last edited by: Jack in Mi: Apr 3, 03 11:28
Quote Reply
You backed the retailer into a corner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You walk in and say well I'd like to get a new tri bike. i hear the cervelos are nice. If it works I'd like to use the 650 zipps I already own.

I suspect that while you thought you were making "suggestions", to the retailer it sounded like you told him you want a cervelo with 650CC wheels and you have 2K to spend. That pretty much means you're getting a 54 cm cervelo.

He then did the best he could to accomodate you in the best manner he could.

Even though you may not have meant to, your comments and reactions probably led you pretty much inevitably down that road.

I suspect if we asked the retailer he would say well he needed somethig bigger but he was set on using his 650 cc zipps.

Just a possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think maybe the bike shop was trying to accomodate your wheels. I am also 5 11 with a 32 inch inseem. I am on a 58cm Airborne Spectre. This frame was not in the shop but had to be ordered so the owner had good motavation to select the correct size to avoid additional shipping charges on a return. This is also a Tri specific bike and I have a fairly even balance between by leg to torso proportion. Hope everything works out for you. Norm
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Worry [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys 2 spacers are not that unusual. You did not even ask what size spacers. I always start the season with some spacers and as I ride more remove them. I sometime ride differently for a sprint, time trial, or ironman distance.
I think a 54 may be just right, really have no idea without seeing him and the bike. I'm 5'10" and ride a 54.If his "real" inseam is 32" his torso should be just right for a 54. Just a guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5' 8" and I ride a 51 cm P3. I could probably fit on a 54 cm too. It sounds like you are three inches taller, but that most of this difference is in the legs. Off hand, 54 cm sounds about right, or at least close to being right.

It would surprise me that someone with such long legs would want 650 c wheels. You would probably be able to get plenty low on a 700 c bike. On the other hand, you might be one of these stingbeans that can fold up like a pen knife and still move as smoothly as silk. I hate people like that, mostly because I am no longer one of them. In that case you might be well served with the 650 wheels.

You don't sound far off, but you should supply pictures. That way we could all pretend to pontificate more wisely.

Flabby in Florida,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all your input. I know I am asking an impossible question without a visual but just hearing about some of your set-ups has been helpful. I've expressed my concerns with my LBS and they have offered to switch me over to another bike if my doesn't feel right.

My other option would be to go with a closeout 2002 QR Tiphoon 57" 650cc frame (titanium) for not much more $$$. This would be the same geometry as my old 57" QR Kilo. I know the fit is most important but any thoughts on the 2002 QR Tiphoon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no input on the bike, but your fit doesnt sound that bad.

i am 5' 10-11 ish, and on a 55 (was on a 54 before, only the bike i bough is either 53 or 55)

I also buy 32" inseam pants, so i think you are on the right bike.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still trying figure out how you would fit on a 51" (inch) bike let alone the 54". I am 5'11" and fit on a 55cm Litespeed. ;-) I am just imagining you on what looks like scaffolding with wheels. Or did you get the bike from the Devil of TdF fame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, the stuff that worried you in the original post are things you shouldn't be concerned about. Spacers are common, and QR geometry measures much differently than Cervelo's. My buddy is getting a 59cm Kilo, and he's not much taller than me (I ride the 54cm One).

All this talk about what size pants someone buys, and what size bike they are on for a completely different company, don't do anything to tell you about what size Cervelo you should be on.

How did you're LBS guys measure you? Did they take you're torso and inseam and forearm, among other things? If they looked at how tall you were and put you on the bike, you might have reason to be leary. If they measured your body at several points, just ask them why they put you on this bike, be sure they took fit mostly into account, and only put you on the 650c 54 P2K because it fit. Just double check with their procedure and reasons. If you start getting into how it feels and all these other subjective things, you may get yourself into trouble.

Personally, I don't have a clue if this bike is optimum for you or not, but based on my experience with a 54cm Cervelo geometry, the fit flexibility offered by the P2K, and your height and approximate inseam, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get this bike to fit you. Whether or not it is optimum for your geometry is another issue, and I'm not sure you are going to be able to get an optimum fit unless you go through a rigorous measurement and positioning protocol. I would really stay away from how a bike "feels", I know I think too much and I would probably mess up the whole procedure.

Maybe you could list the things that "feel" wrong to you, other than the spacers and the difference in size listing printed on the two brands?

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Worry [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, you make some great points. Nothing necessarily "feels" wrong. It's more the "looks" of a shorter bike, and the headset spacers and risers in the aero bars that make me wonder if the fit is optimal. Maybe I'm just not used to having spacers and risers since I didn't have them on my Kilo.

If I was able to fit on a 57cm QR with no spacers or risers would that mean the bike fit me better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bike indeed shorter? What length stem did you have before, and what length do you have now?

I'm not sure what nominal is in terms of a bike and spacers. Being an engineer, my intuition tells me that it is designed for an average amount of spacers, so that someone who needs to go with a bit more, or someone that goes with none will feel minimal differences in how the bike handles. But I am not a bike designer, nor a bike expert, and anything you get out of me is mostly regurgitation of what someone else, like Tom Demerly, or other more knowledgeable people say.

Do you still have both bikes and access to a digital camera? I'd like to see some side views of what you look like on both. Even if you don't post them here, you could take some pictures of yourself and look at them yourself to see how different your position is, look at www.bikesportmichigan.com, there are some great articles on position there with side photos of a lot of different people- I wouldn't use these to adjust your position yourself, but it will give you an idea of how you should look.

Another thing just occurred to me, did the same LBS that put you on the P2K fit you and position you on the Kilo? I'm wondering if your seat height and handle bar drop has changed between these two bike set-ups.

Quote Reply