Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit: Inside-Outside
Quote | Reply
Ive been riding inside for the last 2 months, fit wise everything felt perfect. I was able to get outside the other day and the fit felt a bit off. Seat height seemed low, the nose of the saddle felt that is rotated down a bit much and maybe even a bit forward, things just seemed a bit crammed. I ended up raising the seat up a little bit and raising the nose of the saddle up a hair.. Has anyone else experienced this after spending a good chuck of time inside?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Inside-Outside [jaja518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your bike perfectly level in the trainer? That would definitely throw things off.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Inside-Outside [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the CyleOps block that has 3 different levels. I have always used the middle sot for the front wheel assuming that is the neutral level. I have never used a gauge with a bubble in it to see if it was actually level though..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a 4’ level, I would use that from axle to axle to level the bike. If you do not have a level, then you could measure floor to axle front and rear, though that might be tricky if the riser block is in the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me every year, I always make a few small tweaks after a long winter trainer season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you I will do that. Lets say the front wheel was to high because the block was raising it above level, what is that going to do in the terms of fit/comfort? Besides the small adjustments I did when I was outside I haven't touched the bike after the fit when I got the bike..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know exactly how wheel up/down on the trainer specifically affects fit & comfort. However, I can tell you that it definitely reduced my comfort for me when I was just a little bit off a while ago. That said...

If it is a tri bike, is this your first experience with a tri bike and aero position? It took me a while to adjust to mine when I bought my bike and got fit. And, my bike was not level on the trainer initially. I cannot remember if it was nose up or down, but it was uncomfortable on the trainer and comfortable outside. After I got used to it and leveled the bike, it felt the same everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be going into my 5th season in the sport. I spent 4 years on a Shiv and over winter had the chance to get onto the Kestrel 5000sl. Fit wise it is 99% identical to my shiv so touch points are identical but I am the most picky person I know when it comes to feel(a lot of it is mental I know haha) but this has been my first winter dedicated to spending a solid chunk of time inside. Like I said in the beginning getting outside a few days ago everything just seemed off/crammed compared to being inside on the trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. None of the same stuff as I went through. If you duplicated fit, then it seems that you would have immediately noticed a difference on the trainer. I wonder if it is off-level, and by how much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah that's got me puzzled as well.. My thought is that in the past I did not enjoy the trainer being I almost always rode outside regardless of the temp/time of day. This year ive rode outside 4 times in 3 months so maybe I just got so use to the stagnant feel of the trainer level and once I got back out and all the moving around that is involved with it, things just felt strange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Cycleops blocks with three levels too. I'm pretty sure the lowest one is level and the other two are inclined slightly. That might be part of your issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Inside-Outside [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will have to give it a 1/3 turn and see if that makes it feel more like outside! Thanks for the input
Quote Reply