Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike Build
Quote | Reply
Recently I decided to do my own bike build. I'm mechanically inclined and figured doing this will allow me to get the parts I want when I can afford them. Here's the thing....where do I start???? I've researched for a couple of days, just not sure if there is a logical point to start at? The frame set is purchased, sized appropriately. Do I start with the cockpit or drive train???? I'm sure someone else out there has done this. Just looking for advice on the most logical way to go!!! Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Build [Rooster519] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you 100% sure of what you want?

For my last few builds, cockpit comes last. I know what want up front for the drivetrain. It's not until I ride the bike a bit that I know what stem/bars are going to feel best.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Build [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bryce_d wrote:
Are you 100% sure of what you want?

For my last few builds, cockpit comes last. I know what want up front for the drivetrain. It's not until I ride the bike a bit that I know what stem/bars are going to feel best.

No!!! LOL. I'm not 100% sure of what I want. My largest concern is buying components that won't fit or work together. Especially for the drivetrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this a few years ago for my road bike. I had no experience but by the end of it I feel like I learned so much. Like you, I started with the frame. I then got the majority of the parts with the stem/handlebars/seatpost/seat (I knew what size bars I liked and the stem was a temp one) and then the components first. Then moved on to the wheels and everything. Are you buying parts slowly or are you going all in?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Last edited by: stdogma: Feb 15, 17 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you buy drivetrain components that won't work together?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Build [stdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan to build slowly, due to money constraints. However, knowing me, all the parts will be purchased and shipping by the end of the month LOL :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some things are interchangeable, some are not. You need to decide if you want 10spd, 11spd, Camp/SRAM/Shimano. That will dictate things like shifters, derailleurs (do you want to go 1x?), chain, cranks, etc.

What BB standard does your frame have? There are adapters out there to give you flexibility, but honestly I feel like they're more trouble than they're worth, unless you're really set on running a particular crankset.

When you get close to pulling the trigger on parts, post up and ask for advice. Worst case scenario you unload what doesn't work for you in the classifieds.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understandable. I rebuilt my tri bike this winter and I got a bit excited and ordered everything at once when I told my other half that I wouldnt... Oops. I would go with getting bars first and use a temp stem that you might have in a box somewhere. You can always adjust some of that stuff later but I am assuming you would want something to mount your shifters on first.

I would just wait until you have all the parts to start building.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Last edited by: stdogma: Feb 15, 17 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Build [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How would you buy drivetrain components that won't work together?

Like buying a bottom bracket and spindle that doesn't fit with the chain rings and cranks I get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rooster519 wrote:
No!!! LOL. I'm not 100% sure of what I want. My largest concern is buying components that won't fit or work together. Especially for the drivetrain.

Drivetrain Decision Tree...
  1. 10 speed vs. 11 speed (or age or general budget constraints)
  2. 1x or 2x crankset
  3. Electronic or mechanical
  4. Brand preferences (may also be determined by electronic versus mechanical decision)
  5. Decide on product level (105/Ultegra/Dura Ace; Rival/Force/Red; other)
  6. Shifters (driven by electronic/mechanical & brand decisions; but there are other good mechanical options)
  7. Power Meter (this affects crankset choice, because some PMs are only compatible with certain cranks)
  8. Crankset (stay in-brand, choose based on frame BB, chose a tri-optimized, or other; length; BCD)
  9. Chainrings (just buy a crankset that comes with the appropriate chainrings unless there is something special you want)
  10. Brakes (stay in-brand, or get something aero like Omega X or Vision Trimax, etc.)
  11. Brake levers (stay in-brand, get a favorite, may be driven by electronic choice above)
  12. Other bits (chain, cassette, BB, headset, etc. driven by budget and other choices above)
Parallel Decision Stuff...
  • Saddle
  • Pedals
  • Base bar
  • Stem
  • Extensions
  • Pads
  • Handlebar tape
  • BTA hydration
  • Cables & housing
  • Other hydration & cages
  • Behind the seat hydration or storage

Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 15, 17 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what type of bottom bracket your frame requires, correct? So that's what you buy.

The spindle is an integrated part of the crankset, so it already fits the crankset.

Almost all crankset come with chainrings, so nothing to worry about there.

Just buy an all Shimano or all SRAM group and no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You know what type of bottom bracket your frame requires, correct? So that's what you buy.

The spindle is an integrated part of the crankset, so it already fits the crankset.

Almost all crankset come with chainrings, so nothing to worry about there.

Just buy an all Shimano or all SRAM group and no problems.

Yes, it's a 68mm English BB. Appreciate the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Rooster519 wrote:

Drivetrain Decision Tree...
  1. 10 speed vs. 11 speed (or age or general budget constraints)
  2. 1x or 2x crankset
  3. Electronic or mechanical
  4. Brand preferences (may also be determined by electronic versus mechanical decision)
  5. Decide on product level (105/Ultegra/Dura Ace; Rival/Force/Red; other)
  6. Shifters (driven by electronic/mechanical & brand decisions; but there are other good mechanical options)
  7. Crankset (stay in-brand, choose based on frame BB, chose a tri-optimized, or other; length; BCD)
  8. Chainrings (just buy a crankset that comes with the appropriate chainrings unless there is something special you want)
  9. Brakes (stay in-brand, or get something aero like Omega X or Vision Trimax, etc.)
  10. Brake levers (stay in-brand, get a favorite, may be driven by electronic choice above)
  11. Other bits (chain, cassette, BB, headset, etc. driven by budget and other choices above)
Parallel Decision Stuff...
  • Saddle
  • Pedals
  • Base bar
  • Stem
  • Extensions
  • Pads
  • Handlebar tape
  • BTA hydration
  • Cables & housing
  • Other hydration & cages
  • Behind the seat hydration or storage

Printing this out as my checklist! Thank you!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you building a road bike or time trial bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rooster519 wrote:
Yes, it's a 68mm English BB. Appreciate the help!
I think that is directly compatible with Shimano Hollowtech. And, I think there are direct adapters for most of the other mainstream BB standards, including BB30, Mega Exo, GXP, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't start talking about adapters. None are needed in this case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Are you building a road bike or time trial bike?

It will be a time trial bike. I do not want to use adapters on the bottom bracket since it's technically not necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your budget for a group?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I haven't begun to look at specific budgeting yet. The wife and I have not agreed to how much I can spend yet. Yes, she is aware of the build, and yes, she supports it. I just need to be realistic about what I can spend and my timelines. I enjoy deal shopping, so when I figure out specifics, I'll shop for days to find what I'm looking for a decent price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best value is an Ultegra 6800 group. Just make sure that you get the Dura-Ace SL-BSR1 bar-end shifters.

And no need to shop for days. The best price is usually at merlincycles.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Don't start talking about adapters. None are needed in this case.
Mostly... Shimano Hollowtech II, SRAM GXP, and Campy Ultra-Torque fit directly. However, any of the press fit cranks would not be directly compatible without an adapter. So, that precludes any options based on BB30, PF30, BB86, BB92, BB386, and BBRight, etc. (I think FSA's Mega Exo is kind of like a generic that uses an adapter of a sort for everything.)
Rooster519 wrote:
I do not want to use adapters on the bottom bracket since it's technically not necessary.
Per above, then stick with stock cranks from Shimano, SRAM GXP, and Campy Ultra-Torque.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are press fit cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
The best value is an Ultegra 6800 group. Just make sure that you get the Dura-Ace SL-BSR1 bar-end shifters.

And no need to shop for days. The best price is usually at merlincycles.com.

Awesome! I'll give it a look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Ditto this, with a few tweaks... First, here is great write-up on differences between Shimano components and value-based recommendations. http://blog.artscyclery.com/...to-spend-your-money/

I do not agree 100% with that link, but this is pretty good. And, MicroShift has great alternatives to Dura Ace bar-end shifters. They are both cheaper and lighter. And if budget is an issue, you can save a few bucks there without performance degradation.
jimatbeyond wrote:
What are press fit cranks?
If you cannot figure out what I intended to say, then you probably should not be in this thread. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next