Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike (BMC TMO1, Argon E118, Boardman TT 9.8 Elite) and Wheel Set (HED Jet 5/7, Profile Design 58/78, Shimano Dura Ace C50) Q
Quote | Reply
Hi, in the market for a tri bike, looking specifically at 2014 models on discount with Di2 ultegra build. Would love to get thoughts on pros/cons/ride quality of the following three bikes and wheel sets.

1) 2013 BMC TM01 frame, ultegra di2 build
- pros looks great
- cons integrated front bake PITA to switch wheels

2) 2014 Boardman 9.8 TT elite (non integrated cockpit)
- don't know much, have heard the frame is not that unique (boardman copied generic chinese frame and slapped on decals) per my LBS
- have heard ride quality is good, more/less aero than the others?

3) 2014 Argon 18 E118
- con is the front end is a little messy with di2 since no where to put junction box and wires v. the 2015 model
- have heard similar ride to boardman but less aero?

wheel set to go with the frame, any thoughts on all of these sets which are more mid value between $1500-$2000. i am looking for a set that are durable that i can train and race in.
- Profile design 58/78 full carbon wheel set
- HED Jet 5/7 (aluminum brake surface)
- Shimano Dura Ace CD50 aluminum brake surface
- ENVE classic 45/65 w 350 DT swiss hub

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike (BMC TMO1, Argon E118, Boardman TT 9.8 Elite) and Wheel Set (HED Jet 5/7, Profile Design 58/78, Shimano Dura Ace C50) Q [tri2018] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The NP2, NP3 and Felt DA are some of the better bikes "budget" bikes. If I had to choose amongst your list it would be the BMC, but you can probably do better, particularly if you ride in higher yaw conditions.

The HED wheels are always going to be close to the best. Probably only a Firecrest or Smart Enve would be better.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike (BMC TMO1, Argon E118, Boardman TT 9.8 Elite) and Wheel Set (HED Jet 5/7, Profile Design 58/78, Shimano Dura Ace C50) Q [tri2018] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can easily put the junction box in the stem of the E118. It actually has an incredibly clean front end
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't ridden them but they're all great. I like the looks of the bmc the most I'd be the most drawn to that, given it's the cleanest as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea on the frames, but I'll second the opinion on the Jets. Great value - I run a pair of 6s all the time, and throw a cover on the rear for racing. Not going to find anything faster in that price range.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike (BMC TMO1, Argon E118, Boardman TT 9.8 Elite) and Wheel Set (HED Jet 5/7, Profile Design 58/78, Shimano Dura Ace C50) Q [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks - on the HED wheels - any issues with weight given aluminum rim v. the carbon alternatives in Zipp, ENVE, Profile Design (recognizing with HED, they are $1500 v. $2-3K for the alternatives)? Also, LBS said customer service/warranty not great with HEDs, but assume that's a non issue given they are pretty durable wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at all three when I got mine and ended up on the BMC. The fits of these bikes are dramatically different so of course start there. I put the adjustable Zipp brake levers on my BMC along with some shorty brake shoes, no more adjustment problems. I also changed out the brake shoe screws for the back so I can screw them in and out without removing the shoes. Very happy with my BMC. Rides VERY nice. Responsive but not rough and I love the flat black!

I tried to get on the Argon but the range of adjustability didn't work for me. The boardman looked awesome but I never got to ride it. Austin Tri-Cyclist measured out my fit over email for me and didn't think it would be a good "fit".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

I have the Boardman 9.8 AiR TT... and love it. I have it kitted up with Di2 (primarily to allow me to use remote shifters as well as aero bar shifters). I've managed to push it to a low 54 25mile TT at less than 300W so it is clearly a pretty aero bike. I've also ridden it over the 90mile Zofingen Powerman course with no comfort issues.

I'm from the UK so Chris Boardman's heritage probably means more to me - he's not just famous for his own TTing but also for revolutionising the GB track team. He is particularly well know for a fastidious approach to getting the best available kit and focusing on aero gains. His own bike range was designed in association with Dimitris Katsanis, the same man he worked with at Team GB... so I think there is plenty of technology and R&D behind the Boardman.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-depth/interviews/cycling-engineer-dimitris-katsanis/1016693.article

Happy bike choosing!

Nic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri2018 wrote:

- don't know much, have heard the frame is not that unique (boardman copied generic chinese frame and slapped on decals) per my LBS

Your LBS is talking rubbish there.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Bike (BMC TMO1, Argon E118, Boardman TT 9.8 Elite) and Wheel Set (HED Jet 5/7, Profile Design 58/78, Shimano Dura Ace C50) Q [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
tri2018 wrote:

Your LBS is talking rubbish there.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at a Boardman last year and asked a guy I know who used to ride them for his pro team and this was his response:

"By the way the boardman TT bike was decent. Not the most aero but pretty nice fit and geometry which made it handle well."

Mind you this was before the new line up was released, so I'm not sure how different it is now. I probably would have still gotten it, but the price was too much for my first Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike (BMC TMO1, Argon E118, Boardman TT 9.8 Elite) and Wheel Set (HED Jet 5/7, Profile Design 58/78, Shimano Dura Ace C50) Q [nic_77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all great feedback. the issue is boardman only started selling in the US this year, so awareness by bike shops is far and few between. are you riding the 2014 9.8tt frame with the non integrated cockpit? that is the frame i am looking at vs the bmc tm01. agree my LBS doesn't carry boardman so is just going by the look of the frame...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm being stupid. I actually have the original AiR TT1 frame. Ex United Healthcare.
Still a fine machine.

Curse you - now I'm looking at new bikes! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
cons integrated front bake PITA to switch wheels
not true, neither for the front nor the back wheel. PITA definitely changing the rear brake pads and the internal wire routing for the front brake. open and take a look at the aloy tubing, if not mouted precisely the brake will hang a bit.

you must customize the brake pads for firecrest or other wide rims.

would prefer other bb than bb30.

would take sram instead of ultegra because of wight reasons, but thats a personal preference.

if you have 180 degree turns in races can be a bit tricky because you cannot turn the handlebar greater than 50 degrees or so.

otherwise great bike. i considered the argon 18, but didn't like the fit. dont have seen the boardman in continental europe ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the customer service thing. They weigh more than full carbon hoops obviously, but unless alp d'huez is your A race it's not going to matter. They are pretty bombproof - in 5000 miles or so I've broken one spoke - and that was likely due to having mine laced to a powertap rear hub having a larger flange diameter than a standard hub - puts a little more stress on the spokes I'm told
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between the comment on the Boardman frame and with HED, you need a new LBS. They do not have a clue with what they are talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello tri2018

I would be more than happy to walk you through any questions you might have on the Boardman Bikes. To answer a couple of questions, our bikes are completely designed in house by Chris Boardman himself. Every aspect of a Boardman frameset is there for a performance reason. While we may not have a great deal of flash to our frames, there is nothing there that is 'here today, gone tomorrow' either. Everything is tried and true and works as designed.

Please feel free to PM me as I'd love to know more about your LBS experience as well as assist you however I am able.

Kind regards,
Fletch

Fletch Newland | Boardman Bikes | North American Sales Director

cb Facebook | cb Twitter Worldwide | cb Twitter North America | cb YouTube

Quote Reply