Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bicycle blue book
Quote | Reply
The values seem fairly low. For example a 2017 Felt IA 10 in excellent condition is around $2600. It appears looking at other bikes the value of a second hand bike falls quickly.

Should this pricing be followed?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Last edited by: Im-a-miler: Dec 14, 17 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle blue book [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the most part... it's just a (very) rough guide.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody else open this thread thinking it was about the classic CONI manual?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it undervalues bikes in my opinion. I look at past eBay sales (or those in the classifieds here or on pinkbike) to get an idea on what a used bike should go for

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think about the blue book value as a guide to cash-in-hand prices. That is what a bike is worth if someone is willing to come to you, collect and pay in cash. The hassle (and fees) related to ebay, shipping, etc. all come at a real cost but one which is more difficult to value. So yes I would follow the pricing for the bike alone but then expect an additional processing and handling fee of sorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the completed listings on Ebay to see what your bike has been selling for and not what people are asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
The values seem fairly low. For example a 2017 Felt IA 10 in excellent condition is around $2600. It appears looking at other bikes the value of a second hand bike falls quickly.

You must have never sold anything on ST.

Champagne taste on a Four Loko budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle blue book [RBeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBeck wrote:
Im-a-miler wrote:

You must have never sold anything on ST.

Champagne taste on a Four Loko budget.

What if it is the original Four Loko? RIP OG Four Loko

Come to think of it I’ve only purchased from slowtwitch. Never a bike.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They seem a little low until you really look at the prices of last year's bikes. A 2016 Speed Concept 7.5 can often be found for about 75% of list (3 vs 4,000$). Team discount through Specialized and other big brands are also usually at least as much. Now somebody's used bike with no warranty, worn components, no title (it might be stolen),.. represents a pretty big risk to the buyer. For example, on my road bike, I am on my 3rd warranty frame from Specialized because PF30 was just a stupid idea. If I had bought that frame on Ebay it would have been a total loss to me.

I figure a relatively new, really clean and well maintained bike is worth no more than 40-50% of list. Now if you go to EBay you will see lots of used bikes priced quite a bit higher, but those tend to be relisted time and time again. Nevertheless, people are free to charge and pay whatever they feel comfortable with.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle blue book [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Anybody else open this thread thinking it was about the classic CONI manual?
I'm old enough to know what that was but have only seen it in black/white photocopy....

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The used market’s strange right now, US buyers are stingy but overseas buyers will spend good on a used bike. Example I crashed my 2016 BMC TM01, cracked the top tube, listed the broken frame on eBay and sold it for just under 1k to a buyer in Spain. It all come down to how fast the seller wants to move a bike/frame and how bad the buyer wants it.
As said above eBay seems to drive the market here as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
It appears looking at other bikes the value of a second hand bike falls quickly.

I know others here have way more experience, but after selling 3 and buying 1 used bike this year, I would say the BBB value was within 10% of the amount of cash exchanging hands every time. "Upgrades" generally weren't worth much...if anything. I did better returning everything as close to stock as possible and selling the upgrades on their own.

I don't find the Ebay prices very helpful because you don't see the actual condition, there's a chunk of money lost on fees and you don't know the actual costs related to packaging and shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle blue book [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Andrew. Lived and died by that book. Bike fit is right on for me.
As far as the subject goes. Used bikes are worth what you can get for them. I always think a no reserve auction on the Ebay is the true test of value for that point in time. Maybe somewhere someday you might get your idea of a fair price, but Ebay is where you get what you get in real time.
My geared TT /Tri bike is a round tube Waterford. (round tube fixed it the TT bike of real men) It was state of the art before aero tubes came in style. And is still a beautiful ride. I still love the bike, but bet I couldn't get 1/10th of what I think it is worth. I just give my old bikes away to people that really need them. I feel better in giving than I would at selling a bike at a huge discount.
Last edited by: G-man: Dec 14, 17 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle blue book [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I figure a relatively new, really clean and well maintained bike is worth no more than 40-50% of list. Now if you go to EBay you will see lots of used bikes priced quite a bit higher, but those tend to be relisted time and time again. Nevertheless, people are free to charge and pay whatever they feel comfortable with.

Definitely this. I was recently looking for a used road bike, and it's amazing how many people completely misunderstand the used market. If someone is close, you can barter with them a bit, but if they're asking 80%+ of MSRP, they're probably not ready for that bitter pill.

So, I recently got a good deal on a 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert, full ultegra for $700 used (non-original owner, motivated seller and legit with registration papers). Might have been worth up to $1000-$1200, but not much more than that. The seller had swapped out the rear derailer and cogs for cheaper components for easier pedaling, but had the originals, so I think that might have scared off some potential buyers. The only issue was some paint missing on the top tube because of a poorly taped race number.

Meanwhile, there's a very similar bike being offered (and still available a month later) as a "Deal!!!" for $2150 because the MSRP 5 years ago was $4300. Good luck with that.
Quote Reply