Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bicycle Saddle SURVEY
Quote | Reply
Hi, my name is Jesse Bartholomew and some of you may know me from my days at PowerTap. I now work for Trek and am focusing on the Bontrager line of parts and accessories. I'd really like some specific feedback on saddles so if you have 5 minutes please click the link below for a 9 question survey-

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SS6X3B5
Last edited by: powertap: Oct 13, 14 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [jesse@bontrager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse. Good survey questions.
Done.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've put the bontrager XXX hilo through hell and back and had to leave you my 2 cents! Thanks and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done - thank you!

I'd love to help out more, too - anything to help my customers find the right saddle for them is a win for everybody! I'd like to get some Bontrager options in the shop soon.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The interaction of triathlon/bicycle shorts/chamois and saddle design with comfort/power/other is something that is not well documented. Tough item to master as many of us also want it function as a swim trunk and running short. I know Cobb has advertised a short/saddle design but does any first hand experience exist on this site or elsewhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The survey only allows you to put one brand for bicycle you have ridden in the past 12 months. I assume that you mean the one you have ridden the most in the past 12 months?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a dumb question, but when you ask what type of riding we've been doing mostly does mountain mean going up mountains or mountain biking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, we want to know which bike brand, saddle brand and model you've ridden most.
Last edited by: jesse@bontrager: Oct 14, 14 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question, by "Mountain" we mean mountain biking on dirt trails etc. Going up mountains on paved roads would be considered "road" for our purposes.
Last edited by: jesse@bontrager: Oct 14, 14 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put this in the comments section but I thought it worth of public view, RE: Other things you'd like the engineers to consider.

In triathlon, there's a large interest in behind the seat storage (for water bottles or flat kits). A few saddles accommodate for this but most don't. I would give extra points to a saddle that allowed for a bottle cage mount or the like.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completed your survey hope it helps.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
In triathlon, there's a large interest in behind the seat storage (for water bottles or flat kits). A few saddles accommodate for this but most don't. I would give extra points to a saddle that allowed for a bottle cage mount or the like.

I'm on board with this as well. Bonus points if you can make the water bottle cage act as a suitable hook for a bike rack in a transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone who responded, it really is appreciated. I'll leave it up for a few more days for those that did not see it earlier.

There is a ton of great information out there about saddles but based on some of the comments on the survey I thought I'd offer up our own take on things, at least as they stand right now-

http://media.bontrager.com/images/features/201310_serano_saddle/whitepaper_en.pdf

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I put this in the comments section but I thought it worth of public view, RE: Other things you'd like the engineers to consider.

I'm with you on this.

Other things I thought about.

- saddle rails that extend far enough back that I can achieve the seat tube angle I want!! (only thing I don't like about my sitero).
- variable width along the length of the saddle, to suit folks with narrower/wider sit bones.
- room between the saddle rails to stow away a spare tube. I think that space could be made more useful.
- what about an insert somewhere to screw in (without piercing!!) your threaded CO2 cartridges? A bit like on the xlab setup, but integrated into the saddle for those who would like to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- saddle rails that extend far enough back that I can achieve the seat tube angle I want!! (only thing I don't like about my sitero).
- variable width along the length of the saddle, to suit folks with narrower/wider sit bones.
- room between the saddle rails to stow away a spare tube. I think that space could be made more useful.

Agreed. I'm also waiting on a longer railed Sitero.

It still seems strange that people aren't creating seats with storage space under/inside. I doubt the drag now is measurable with moving legs in front of it, but surely you couldn't do anything to really hurt it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Saddle SURVEY [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply