Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois
Quote | Reply
I don't care for bib shorts because of the giant/thick chamois. It is uncomfortable and makes me feel like their is a deuce in my pants. Is there a bib short manufacturer that makes a pair with a chamois that is comparable to tri bike shorts?
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just get a tri one piece. It is usually sleeveless so similar to bibs in that aspect. Similar to http://www.triathletesports.com/...ml#manufacturer=7682.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto makes a tri-bib. The pad is a little more than the standard tri pad/liner, but is much less than a standard bike short or bib.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mclousing wrote:
Why don't you just get a tri one piece. It is usually sleeveless so similar to bibs in that aspect. Similar to http://www.triathletesports.com/...ml#manufacturer=7682.

I would like bib shorts for the winter…add leg warmers, cycling jersey, arm warmers, etc….
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [tskough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tskough wrote:
Desoto makes a tri-bib. The pad is a little more than the standard tri pad/liner, but is much less than a standard bike short or bib.

Thanks…I will check that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tskough wrote:

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tskough wrote:

+2 pretty much exactly what you are looking for and they make a versions with a fleece pad and one with they float pad which is somewhere in between a tri pad and a road pad.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I don't care for bib shorts because of the giant/thick chamois. It is uncomfortable and makes me feel like their is a deuce in my pants. Is there a bib short manufacturer that makes a pair with a chamois that is comparable to tri bike shorts?

Desoto Riviera Tri Bib https://www.desotosport.com/product/RTB1

I do all my aero training in these and have done two full IMs in them from start to finish. The pad is thicker than their Forza line which is basically just a terrycloth liner, but it's not as thick as a road cycling bib and is of a smoother more sheen-like material that doesn't chafe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto Forza Tri bibs have a thin Pad. I think they're DC but I just checked and it looks like they still have some. I've raced IM's in them.

https://www.desotosport.com/product/FBTS1

PS: I have Riviera's too, the pad on the Forza is thinner if that's what you're looking for.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Sep 29, 14 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing last week. Having done most of my long rides for IM training in cycling shorts and doing the last few in tri-shorts, the tri shorts are clear winners. I am not sure why cycling shorts have such thick diaper like padding with the comfy saddle options we have today. Would be nice if they simply sold them with a slot and 3 levels of padding you could slide in to match your desired comfort level.

Jim Lukanich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Free Tri Bib - the only thing you'll ever need.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [jw76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw76 wrote:
+1. Castelli free tri bibs are fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [The1Jacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The1Jacker wrote:

Old thread brought to life...

What saddle are you using these with? I'm about to pull the trigger but want to make sure its not a crazy narrow chamois where the chamois stitching lines up with my ISM Attack.

Also, any other tri bibs looking into that don't have thick pads (i.e. the 7mm Riviera is too thick)?
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride an Attack also, and couldn't be any happier with the way it "mates" to the Castelli tri pad. My winter bibs have Castelli's X2 Progetto pad (regular non-tri pad), and that also works well with the Attack...for me, at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [The1Jacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The1Jacker wrote:
I ride an Attack also, and couldn't be any happier with the way it "mates" to the Castelli tri pad. My winter bibs have Castelli's X2 Progetto pad (regular non-tri pad), and that also works well with the Attack...for me, at least.

Perfect. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
The1Jacker wrote:

Perfect. Thanks!

I'm on a Cobb 55, similar to the Attack. For me the Progetto pad is too much, Kiss (in a Velocissimo) is perfect. DeSoto Riviera from 2013 equals painful chafing on 50+ km rides, otherwise fine. Have Castelli Free tri, but still untested on a long ride. So, again, it depends.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with Tri-Like Chamois [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How thick is the Velocissimo chamois? Thicker or thinner than the 7mm Riviera?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can have a look tomorrow, but for me, it's not so much the tickness, more the width and shape of the pad. Castelli says "Dual density and infinitely variable thickness ... Maximum thickness and density in the ischial zone"

Done a couple of races with the Riviera tri bib and it's very good on the run, unfortunately some chafing on the bike. I finished, but there was blood. The Kiss is excellent in training sessions on the bike (150+ km), but wouldn't want to run with it though. So, still looking, maybe Castelli Free is it. DeSoto has also changed their pad a bit since 2013, so who knows. I do recommend you try a Riviera, might work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried the Riviera, it's not for me but its far better than the DeSoto 400 mile pad.

I should have bought the Forza bib when they had it, that would have been perfect. Even better would be a DeSoto Carrera bib with the old fleece pad (not the 8mm pad they have now).

I just want a fleece or super thin tri pad but bibbed for biking long. Don't care about it on the running as much but it'll definitely be used for some brick runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't call Kiss super thin, so if that's what you need, then Free is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
14, 10 and 4mm says Castelli, about Kiss Air, on Youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
14, 10 and 4mm says Castelli, about Kiss Air, on Youtube.

I had a feeling... I'll get the tri bib. I have a feeling its the jackpot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Difficult to measure, but I'd say that Free is slightly thicker than a Riviera right in the middle of the pad, but a lot thinner on the sides. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Quote Reply