Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Between-the-Aerobars DIY Hydration
Quote | Reply
I know that there is a growing selection of between-the-aerobars water bottles and hydration plus storage plus garmin plus kitchen sink systems out there retail. (And, as seems to be the case with all tri gear, these seem to be priced with the assumption that triathletes all have sponsors or trust funds or very tolerant spouses.) There are also plenty of DIY versions that ingenious folks have cobbled together themselves. Do any of you use homemade BTA bottles regularly? If so, and if you can recall, I'd love to know how you made it and see a pic or two.

----- Murphy's Law Update -----

First off, let me thank all of you who responded. This is my first time at slowtwitch forums. Y'all are magical.

Why magical? Because I posted this question after discovering that neither eBay, the USPS or the eBay seller could manage to tell me where the Speedfil bottle I ordered was. Within minutes of getting responses, the postwoman dropped off the thoroughly mangled package with the bottle. So I have to assume that your collective helpfulness irked the postal god into giving up the goods.

And, I now have both a homemade and a commercial BTA to test out. Again, thanks. Time to do some product testing on the road. :)
Last edited by: justinzane: Oct 10, 15 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Between-the-Aerobars DIY Hydration [justinzane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 zipties
an old "Elite" bottle cage.
waterbottle.

I have an xlab torpedo bottle which I stuck in there, or I can use a regular bottle.

If I were to do it again, I'd just use an old regular water bottle, 10 minutes with a drill and appropriately sized bit, and the straw / valve off my old camelback.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I constructed one using a normal Profile Design bottle cage, zip tied between the aero bars.

Then i took some hose from my home brewery, drilled a hole in a regular water bottle and sealed it in. I bought a bite adapter from REI to put on the hose. It worked ok, but wasn't great.

I then bought the Nathan's aero system. Again - ok but not great. Water sloshed out of the outer tube that holds the drinking tube in place. And the bottle would shift since up and down, losing it's aero-ness.

For IMWI I just ended up zip tying the cage back in place and used a throw away water bottle. I think this was my preferred method going forward. Especially for longer races where you want to refill it. It was so easy to just take a bottle out and chuck it and replace with a fresh one at the aid stations. No screwing around with refilling the aero bottle and splashing everywhere.

I don't have any pics since I just cut it off while trying to sell my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found some large, re-usable, zip ties. These are very heavy-duty, maybe 1/2" wide. I use smaller zip ties to attach the large zip tie into place on the two extensions. Then just set a bottle down, close the large zip tie. I then cut the large zip tie to length, and never fully open it. I just loosen it enough to get the bottle out.

It works very well; I've been doing this for 5+ years. The only issue will be if the distance between your extensions is too wide, and the bottle is not supported by the extensions.

This is not a good photo, but all I've got. Zoom in....
http://jarandell.smugmug.com/keyword/2015-444-RedMan#!i=4401575099&k=KhTJWhR

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Between-the-Aerobars DIY Hydration [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
Then i took some hose from my home brewery, drilled a hole in a regular water bottle and sealed it in. I bought a bite adapter from REI to put on the hose. It worked ok, but wasn't great.

I'm currently using normal bottles in a ziptied cage between the bars. Being thoroughly uncoordinated and graceless, I've normally gotten as much water in my lungs as my stomach trying to drink without repositioning and sitting up, so I'd like to try the straw type bottle. While not-so-patiently waiting for a Speedfil A2 ordered off eBay, I thought I'd try to make my own.

I've got hose, bite valves, old cheap bottle to hack... I just cannot figure out how to seal the hose into the bottle in a reasonable way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drill the hole "slightly" undersized. You'll have to work the hose into the hole, but once it's in it'll be nice and tight.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Nathans I can sell ya :)

I typically try to take fluids on a climb when in the horns, since I sound about as coordinated and graceful as you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Simple $6.00 cage between the bars with 4 zip ties. Works well for me. Might mess with adding a straw to an old water bottle but it's really not hard to pull the bottle out and drink once in awhile.

.... My little man thinks aero helmets are the funniest thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justinzane wrote:
I know that there is a growing selection of between-the-aerobars water bottles and hydration plus storage plus garmin plus kitchen sink systems out there retail. (And, as seems to be the case with all tri gear, these seem to be priced with the assumption that triathletes all have sponsors or trust funds or very tolerant spouses.) There are also plenty of DIY versions that ingenious folks have cobbled together themselves. Do any of you use homemade BTA bottles regularly? If so, and if you can recall, I'd love to know how you made it and see a pic or two.

also just do zip ties and a bottle cage. However,I do have the Gorilla cage because I find the gatorade sport-top bottles that they hand out at many races, i.e. they are not in a true bike bottle, have smaller diameter and tend to rattle out of any but the tighest-holding cages. I have had no problem with the Gorilla cage keeping these bottles in despite bumpy roads. Some people use their arms in aero to hold the bottle in place, but that's risky, especially if you come out of aero to climbor brake, you could lose the bottle. Would rather not lose nutrition, stakes are too high. I only carry one other bottle BTS as an emergency but usually don't access, just swap BTA bottle at each aid station. Worth the extra $$$ for me to buy the fancy cage to ensure I don't lose my nutrition, and the cages last for years, plus they look cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really is as simple as a standard water bottle cage, a few zip ties, and a bottle. That's it. It works great - no compromises just because it's homebrewed.
Quote Reply
Re: Between-the-Aerobars DIY Hydration [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need to buy the expensive gorilla cages... just tie a rubberband around your cage to get it to cinch down a bit and the rubber will also help grip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://tinypic.com/...?pic=2igoi2g&s=8

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply