Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"?
Quote | Reply
To preface my post, let's take two extremes.
  1. sprinting water running with high heart rate, no pounding.
  2. sprinting on a hard track with spikes with zero padding

So let's for a second assume another thing which may not apply to many of us. Let's assume the athlete is biomechanically sounds and can do some of his mileage on shoes with a low amount of padding (I am not talking about ramp, about medial posting or anything else, just padding under the foot).

Now there are a few things we're trying to affect when we train:

1. Improve top line cardio output
  2. Improve blood/oxygen delivery to working muscles (mitchondria)
  3. Improve eccentric durability

So it seems that if we did 100% water running we'd be able to do achieve items 1 and 2 above. But we won't get anywhere on 3. If we run on trail and grass all the time, we achieve some of three, but don't get "hardened" for a pavement oriented marathon. If we run in highly padded shoes all the time, we also basically do the equivalent of strapping "grass/trail" to the bottom of our feet for a softer landing (although not quite the same).

So running in highly padded shoes helps us to more mileage so that we can make more physiological adaptations. For cardio output and mitochondria density, I can buy that, but harder shoes should allow us to achieve eccentric durability off less miles than more mileage off highly padded shoes (keep in mind we have swimming and biking to improve top line cardio with zero pounding).

It is obviously a personal trade off and many athletes won't even have the option of shoes with less padding...that basically equals "NO RUNNING" for some. But for athletes, who can, maybe there is something there to consider, just like if you want to run a fast pavement marathon, you need to train on it. Someone might say that the answer is running the pavement marathon on highly padded shoes (actually Slowman has said that we're crazy not to for IM marathons and in my view he is correct). But I am not talking about which shoe helps us more on race day when speed is my ultimate metric. I'm discussing what is the best training tool because in training we're just trying to come up with the most efficient way to create the physiological adaptations that will help us go fast on race day. Would harder shoes allow us to achieve better adaptations off less mileage, freeing up time for the other sports?

Let's discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No running economy improvements by wearing barefoot simulating shoes after 12 weeks.

No running economy improvements after wearing low/zero heel height differential shoes vs tradition hhd.

Reduction in running economy by switching from a heel strike to forefoot strike.

Technique work rarely leads to improvements in running economy.

That's what the evidence says.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Apr 21, 14 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
No running economy improvements by wearing barefoot simulating shoes after 12 weeks.

No running economy improvements after wearing low/zero heel height differential shoes vs tradition hhd.

Reduction in running economy by switching from a heel strike to forefoot strike.

Thanks but this does not address what I am asking at least it does not seem to. What you're saying seems to suggest that heal striking is fine, barefoot simulation shoes have no benefit, and technique is irrelevent, all of which don't address the question of whether we get faster physiological adaptations with less padded shoes versus more padded (let's assume the same mileage for both)...or the same physiological adaptations off less mileage in less padded shoes.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 21, 14 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it does. You seem to be confused on the mechanisms of how you think running in a harder shoe would improve running performance.

I'll give you a hint, it has to do with running economy.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick, rather than answer with cryptic phrase and give hints, how about posting some details that might help the entire community rather than us trying to read minds. The entire purpose of the forum is to share info and discussion rather than guess what one may be thinking. I think I know what you are getting at so rather than trying to be the smart guy, maybe others who have not read as much would benefit if you covered your thoughts with a more comprehensive approach to communication. You'd probably fail in my company with this approach to conveying knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to ask these questions:

1) What type of adaptation are you trying to create?
2) Is you goal to improve running economy?
3) Do firmer and/or lower offset shoes improve run economy?
4) Does ground impact force or how you change your gait to accommodate it the most critical component in running economy?

I'll add this... a more padded shoes can reduce fatigue, but it may reduce your adaptation to impact forces that counter fatigue.

Personally I use a wide variety of shoes for better or worse. More padded shoes for recovery runs or most long runs. More minimal for faster runs and something in between other times.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been told the correct information. You (and others) continually deny the correct information in favor for what you think is right. I'm glad I'm not working for a company who lives in the dark ages.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I think you need to ask these questions:

1) What type of adaptation are you trying to create?
2) Is you goal to improve running economy?
3) Do firmer and/or lower offset shoes improve run economy?
4) Does ground impact force or how you change your gait to accommodate it the most critical component in running economy?

I'll add this... a more padded shoes can reduce fatigue, but it may reduce your adaptation to impact forces that counter fatigue.

Personally I use a wide variety of shoes for better or worse. More padded shoes for recovery runs or most long runs. More minimal for faster runs and something in between other times.

I think the adaptations you are create is to go the fastest possible speed on race day with a fixed amount of training time (I did not say load, just time).

Like you, I use a wide spectrum for all the points you mention that I have bolded. But lets say for a moment you maximized your training time (can't add any more hours) and could do it all in the least padded shoe available in your quiver at the same paces you'd do with padded shoes. Basically over time transition over to exclusive use of less padded shoes (I am not talking minimal vibram stuff, but stuff that protects you enough from pavement).

Marcel_s (forget if I have the handle correct) said something along the lines of seeing the most benefit in around 10mm of padding (not sure if that was the amount and it would depend on material...depleted uranium would be less padded than some of the rubber in advanced running shoes). For a fixed amount of training time, are padded shoes taking away some of the training load?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
You have been told the correct information. You (and others) continually deny the correct information in favor for what you think is right. I'm glad I'm not working for a company who lives in the dark ages.

Hey, I can only go by what you have written on this thread as I don't have the entire synopsis of ST on topic (I'm in and out of the forum because some weeks I barely tune in, other weeks, every day). I am not denying your information but at the moment, I don't even have it. If you can provide it more clearly then I can choose to deny it (or not). That's why you would not do well in my company. Sometimes you might need to explain your point to parties who did not get the message, (which you feel is clear) on your first communication. If you can do it, that might be helpful. I am not even sure what angle you are coming front. I get aspects of the three points you brought up, but some further amplification would be quite helpful not just to myself but others who might be reading too.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mauricemaher [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we know that hard running shoes do not increase fitness nor improve running economy, we have to ask ourselves what can they do and for whom?

For some runners, these shoes could place an optimal load in terms of force on their tissues. Not overloading a tissue past its maximal load will mean that the athlete won't experience an injury.

The problem is that with our current information, it's hard to say what footwear intervention produces the best results for any given athlete. We are just waiting for something to occur before trying other methods.

For some athletes, barefoot is the best, others Hoka, and most of us in between. Some people might find a combination of different shoes work, while some find a single pair is the answer.

Threads about running shoes and form are often frustrating, everyone is talking about their own experience and how it works for them. When things work for us it definitely creates a strong bias. We want to pass our successful methods to others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I see what you are getting at.

For me or most that I know the problem is always trying to maximize weekly or total volume (at first) while staying consistent and injury free. This is the point of Barry p's plans which emphasize a gradual but manageable increase in volume over time. Then specifically adapting that "durability" to your needs via speed work or specific work as it leads up to a key or peak event.

From what I see trying to force durability or push mechanical load via shoe choice (spikes on a track etc) is a recipe for disaster for most Ager's. Most don't have optimized body weight (are you sub 140 yet ;-) Ok I am still over 150), so there is already an extra load which may not be there during specific or peak phase, trying to push or force durability or the ability to avoid injury while maintaining volume is very hard and IMO often represents a tipping point between consistency and non-consistency i.e. injury.

Running even amongst elites is always limited by durability within volume. An elite might run 15 hours a week, that is huge but for cycling, swimming (or rowing, X-ski etc) that is a total dog f*&k week.

Having said that I have flats (race in IM) rubber spikes, track spikes, normal Mizuno trainers, Hoka's etc. For now the only shoe I look at are Hoka's.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I reckon greater load causing higher muscular trauma, and there fore greater recovery time...
So perhaps more training stimulus for a given session but at the cost of greater recovery .... Net perhaps we end up with harder less often vs less hard more often ... End result maybe bugger all difference....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
To preface my post, let's take two extremes.
  1. sprinting water running with high heart rate, no pounding.
  2. sprinting on a hard track with spikes with zero padding

So let's for a second assume another thing which may not apply to many of us. Let's assume the athlete is biomechanically sounds and can do some of his mileage on shoes with a low amount of padding (I am not talking about ramp, about medial posting or anything else, just padding under the foot).

Now there are a few things we're trying to affect when we train:

1. Improve top line cardio output
  2. Improve blood/oxygen delivery to working muscles (mitchondria)
  3. Improve eccentric durability

So it seems that if we did 100% water running we'd be able to do achieve items 1 and 2 above. But we won't get anywhere on 3. If we run on trail and grass all the time, we achieve some of three, but don't get "hardened" for a pavement oriented marathon. If we run in highly padded shoes all the time, we also basically do the equivalent of strapping "grass/trail" to the bottom of our feet for a softer landing (although not quite the same).

So running in highly padded shoes helps us to more mileage so that we can make more physiological adaptations. For cardio output and mitochondria density, I can buy that, but harder shoes should allow us to achieve eccentric durability off less miles than more mileage off highly padded shoes (keep in mind we have swimming and biking to improve top line cardio with zero pounding).

It is obviously a personal trade off and many athletes won't even have the option of shoes with less padding...that basically equals "NO RUNNING" for some. But for athletes, who can, maybe there is something there to consider, just like if you want to run a fast pavement marathon, you need to train on it. Someone might say that the answer is running the pavement marathon on highly padded shoes (actually Slowman has said that we're crazy not to for IM marathons and in my view he is correct). But I am not talking about which shoe helps us more on race day when speed is my ultimate metric. I'm discussing what is the best training tool because in training we're just trying to come up with the most efficient way to create the physiological adaptations that will help us go fast on race day. Would harder shoes allow us to achieve better adaptations off less mileage, freeing up time for the other sports?

Let's discuss.

Running in harder shoes may increase #3 per mile run, but it will also reduce the number of miles that can be run. In general, switching to harder shes would reduce #3 (while also reducing #1 and #2). I'm sure it's possible to get a shoe so cushioned that this is not the case (ex. water running), but that's an extreme.

There are lots of systems that trade off adaptation per mile for the ability to do increased mileage (ex. compression gear, ice baths, massage, recovery drinks, etc.) and it is almost better to add the mileage these allow.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Apr 21, 14 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:

We switched to a hot air popcorn popper.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
I reckon greater load causing higher muscular trauma, and there fore greater recovery time...
So perhaps more training stimulus for a given session but at the cost of greater recovery .... Net perhaps we end up with harder less often vs less hard more often ... End result maybe bugger all difference....?

I think that's basically where it may end up with. Probably the same reason why high school track coaches won't let their kids run in track spikes every day for every workout....
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I think I see what you are getting at.

For me or most that I know the problem is always trying to maximize weekly or total volume (at first) while staying consistent and injury free. This is the point of Barry p's plans which emphasize a gradual but manageable increase in volume over time. Then specifically adapting that "durability" to your needs via speed work or specific work as it leads up to a key or peak event.

From what I see trying to force durability or push mechanical load via shoe choice (spikes on a track etc) is a recipe for disaster for most Ager's. Most don't have optimized body weight (are you sub 140 yet ;-) Ok I am still over 150), so there is already an extra load which may not be there during specific or peak phase, trying to push or force durability or the ability to avoid injury while maintaining volume is very hard and IMO often represents a tipping point between consistency and non-consistency i.e. injury.

Running even amongst elites is always limited by durability within volume. An elite might run 15 hours a week, that is huge but for cycling, swimming (or rowing, X-ski etc) that is a total dog f*&k week.

Having said that I have flats (race in IM) rubber spikes, track spikes, normal Mizuno trainers, Hoka's etc. For now the only shoe I look at are Hoka's.

Maurice

OK, getting close to 140 lbs...I only count that I am sub 140 when every measurement is sub 140. Some mornings are 139, others 142/143. When it is always under 140, that's when you can count it.

I agree on the injury avoidance side and the durability within volume. My main point is that by going with softer shoes we take away some of the training stress. So it is a trade off between taking away training stress from "this workout" and adding more training stress from "tomorrow's" workout, but if you are so trashed, that you can't do tomorrow's workout, then it kind of defeats the point.

Interesting experiment. So yesterday I spent 1 hour at the track running a bunch of intervals (1k to 1600m @ 10K effort) in low padding shoes (Altra Instinct). Today was a 50 min warmup run with 10x100m acceleration + 45 min CT course. Riding the CT course at 95% FTP felt like 100%...legs were totally cooked from "yesterday" (which by the way, I felt during the warmup run pre CT ride).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
Threads about running shoes and form are often frustrating, everyone is talking about their own experience and how it works for them. When things work for us it definitely creates a strong bias. We want to pass our successful methods to others.

I think the individuality of shoe choice is a perfect reason to have topics like this. When I first started triathlon, I came directly from college hoops. My legs and body were very resilient to the pounding of running and I could run a 13.1 well off the bike with 7 oz. shoes. Fast-forward to today. I'm a much better runner, economically, but, at 41, have lost the resiliency to impact forces. Hokas are a great long-run shoe for me today so that I can workout tomorrow. In college I didn't need them. Had they been around, I may have felt the need/want to wear them based on the hype surrounding them, when maybe they weren't the best choice for me. This is a place that we can discuss that and share experiences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Just trying to get a better idea of the question. What do you mean specifically by #3? Trying to understand exactly the increasing eccentric durability concept before I think about it more.

But one thing is constant in walking/running gait and it comes up when developing prosthetics. With respect to heel strike and the eccentric loading of tibialis anterior, A firmer heel increases the forces at initial contact and speeds up the ensuing plantar flexion. This would stress the anterior tib more eccentrically. Conversely a softer heel will dampen down and slow down the plantar flexion motion which = less eccentric load/stress on the anterior tib.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Dev,

Just trying to get a better idea of the question. What do you mean specifically by #3? Trying to understand exactly the increasing eccentric durability concept before I think about it more.

But one thing is constant in walking/running gait and it comes up when developing prosthetics. With respect to heel strike and the eccentric loading of tibialis anterior, A firmer heel increases the forces at initial contact and speeds up the ensuing plantar flexion. This would stress the anterior tib more eccentrically. Conversely a softer heel will dampen down and slow down the plantar flexion motion which = less eccentric load/stress on the anterior tib.

OK in addition to anterior tibialis loading eccentrically in harder shoes/harder surfaces, what about further up the chain in the upper legs (qauds) etc. By the way, this train of discussion also helps me understand why I prefer to run in harder shoes not because I necessarily because I want to from "pounding" perspective, but because I have better coordination with my left leg that has some nerve damage through the knee and through the tibia down to the foot. If the anterior tibialis load eccentrically "quicker" then I can see the feedback from the ground being better (and thus better coordination). The downside is my legs may be more "trashed" after each of these sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:

But you know what does improve economy?
Strength Training and Plyometrics

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:

Which evidence?

When you say no improvement after 12 weeks, might it take at least 12 weeks to adapt to the new shoe? It may be there are improvements after more than 12 weeks.

When people switch to bare foot or shoes with no built up heel, do they change from heel strike to fore foot? I still heel strike when bare foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do a portion of my training in minimal shoes (mizuno wave universe), however i've gotten away from IM training on longer runs in them b/c, for me anyway, the adjustment from the weight, flex, and feel from one shoe to the other is so drastically different that its almost like an entirely different exercise (ok, not entirely.. but very different). to train long in thin soled shoes, and then race long in different ones isn't really possible for me b/c of how disruptive it is to adjust to the switch.

so while i think i get the idea you're proposing, i don't know if its possible or practical for many when you actually apply it b/c of the adjustment thing. i am a firm believer in training certain sessions in the least shoe possible. i love the feel of running in flats/minimals and i have done straight marathons in them w/ no problems, but like you pointed out earlier, the IM run is a different animal. for me anyway i need more underfoot for that run, and as such i have to train in more shoe to run comfortably in them on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
But you know what does improve economy?
Strength Training and Plyometrics

+ Hill running and higher mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be of some interest.

http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.htm
Quote Reply

Prev Next