Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better Kit Designs
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of all of the boring, generic kit designs out there and I don't have a team/sponsors. Is there anything like Betty Designs, but for men?
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have looked around and one of the ones that I have like is lovethepain.com they have some different kit designs for men. I guess it all depends how far off of "normal" you want to go.

For me (as a dude) I wouldn't mind showing up to a race in a Neon Pink tri suit. Not for the attention but just because its different than what everyone else is wearing. And so my wife and kids can see me coming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wattie Ink is closest I've found. Their shorts are some of my favorites but I just get the plain colors as I find the designs too much.

It is a bummer. I love all the zany bikejerseys and always get a little depressed seeing what shoes up to tris (through no fault of anyone there) in how boring it all is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was coming to the forum with a similar question! I know Wattie and Love The Pain have a little more of an "alt" look to their designs and I've seen a bit from Scody...what else is out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are many great kits out there. The question is how much you are willing to pay for a designer jersey. I love all of that stuff but can't justify the cost myself.

Follow wtfkits on instagram for some inspiration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic Gear (http://www.epixgear.com) has some fun stuff too.

Quote | Reply
Most apparel brands do custom kits. Some, but not all will provide a design based on your notes for free, some will charge an art fee.

If you can get together a few friends it will help you meet the minimums and you can have a kit that doesn't look like any other kit out there. But there are companies that will do one offs too.

I've had good success with Castelli custom kits.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dig the Love The Pain stuff but they are definitely leading the way in ridiculous pricing with $130 short sleeve running t-shirts. I'm a big Roka fan and i thought they were bad with $75 running shirts but $130 is crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried these guys ..... https://theheavypedal.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat too. After a bit of searching i found HumanSpeed in Denmark. I worked with Peter (who's a great guy) in putting together a custom suit in their top of the line range. After confirming the design it was made and shipped to me in just over 3 weeks (Vancouver, BC). Their prices are cheaper than the retail prices of most (if not all) top of the line suits available. The materials used are quite advanced too, not your bog standard stuff. I think the kit was made in NL too, not China.

Well worth a look

http://eu.humanspeed.dk/
Last edited by: sjc166: Jun 26, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There sure is a premium price on being original. Damn! Between Wattie Ink, Love the Pain, and Epix, you're looking at $250-$300 for a one piece kit!!! I'm one that would be totally into trying some different designs, but at those prices it's kind of hard to justify.
Last edited by: mwanner1: Jun 26, 17 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Wattie Ink is closest I've found. Their shorts are some of my favorites but I just get the plain colors as I find the designs too much.

I raced in a Wattie speedsuit in the Madison half, no complaints other than I wished it was sleeveless due to weather. I recently purchased Kiwami Spider (top and bottom, not a suit). I'm digging the BIG back pocket on the top, and the multiple pockets on the shorts. Same as mentioned throughout the thread though, just wish it was a little flashier, it's just the same old red/white/black combination.

Going to race the Kiwami stuff at Minneapolis a week from Sat, then race the Wattie top and bottom at Maple Grove later in the season to determine a preference. I think the one thing I learned is that I prefer shorts/top over the suit... Also prefer shoulder cut vs. short sleeve.

The only knock I've got on the Wattie stuff is that they are baggy for me at the bottom of the leg :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend Nimblewear. I know they have both Canadian and American offices and they were very easy to communicate with throughout the entire process of designing my own jersey. I've had quite a few complements (including from some pros lol) on the jersey this year and will definitely be designing another one in the future. Quality is great too. https://www.instagram.com/...eu7/?taken-by=kevpog - there's a few shots there of the jersey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Betty design does have a few designs for men! Right now I think the world champion kit is available.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may tri one of Wattie Ink's suits. They look nice.

I'm not a fan of their tops. The material is a little thicker and (at least for me) feels like it soaks up water and gets heavy feeling. I felt like I was swimming with a cotton t shirt on. So it's been relegated to a training top. But even then in super hot weather it just feels thick and heavy compared to other brands.

Which I find odd since their shorts are a nice thin fabric that feels great swimming in and training in hot weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish you hadn't mentioned Love the Pain because now I want one of their trisuit... Wow are they expensive!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:

I'm not a fan of their tops. The material is a little thicker and (at least for me) feels like it soaks up water and gets heavy feeling. I felt like I was swimming with a cotton t shirt on. So it's been relegated to a training top. But even then in super hot weather it just feels thick and heavy compared to other brands.

Which I find odd since their shorts are a nice thin fabric that feels great swimming in and training in hot weather.

I found their speedsuit's top to be much thinner than their triathlon top if that helps at all. Almost all of the fabric on top is what they call "carbon mesh". I would be using it for everything if I'd had liked the sleeves (or a one piece suit in general).
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:

I found their speedsuit's top to be much thinner than their triathlon top if that helps at all. Almost all of the fabric on top is what they call "carbon mesh". I would be using it for everything if I'd had liked the sleeves (or a one piece suit in general).

That does help. Appreciate the feedback. They really do need to figure out the tri tops. Right now they make my favorite tri shorts and the worst tri top I've ever used.

Will prob pull the trigger on a suit after hearing those are much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:

That does help. Appreciate the feedback. They really do need to figure out the tri tops. Right now they make my favorite tri shorts and the worst tri top I've ever used.

Will prob pull the trigger on a suit after hearing those are much better.

Agreed, if the top was made primarily out of that mesh, I'd be buying quite a few. As it sits now, I have the classic in black only. Will be curious to see how the Kiwami is in comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you more interested in an off-the-rack kit that's unique OR creating your own?
Quote Reply
Re: Better Kit Designs [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smashfest Queen also makes great men's kits! Check them out --> https://www.smashfestqueen.com/

AND... they are having a Friends & Family sale June 27-28 ONLY. You can use discount code AHITEFRIEND for 20% off!
Last edited by: ajhite76: Jun 26, 17 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love The pain.

I raced in one of their kits this past weekend in a 70.3 and the kit was hands down the best thing I've worn in 22 years of racing.

Plus, they will do 100% custom if that's what you want. I agree, they are expensive, but there was a sale (30% off I believe) a couple weekends ago. Follow them on instagram or facebook to stay updated on sales.

The Wattie stuff is cool too but I have no experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used EPIX Gear & they will custom design any whacky thing you want. They have some far out stuff & I know many college teams use them. I was quite happy with their designs and fit. Plus, the shorts have a double front, which few companies have. I know Wattie Ink & "Oomph" had double fronts. I had a chance to try on a Wattie 1-pc at Ironman Boulder Expo. It fit & felt great. The things I didn't like were 1) The price was stupid ridiculous 2) The front zip was so short it was a struggle to get in & out of (I wasn't even wet--but on dry land as well). Those two things were a problem. For best of both worlds, I'm quite happy with price, functionality & fit of my EPIX Gear. I would order again from them.
Quote Reply