Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best wheels for road racing/are my worries justified?
Quote | Reply
Like the title says, looking for some input on race wheels for the upcoming road racing season. I was planning to race my 404 FCs but after a friend overcooked his Zipps in a local race and wound up with a pretty bad injury when the tube (and wheel) exploded, I'm feeling a little less confident in them. Granted he was running latex tubes and this was a fairly technical 7mi descent but still. I race in Western PA and WV mostly so our races typically have 3000-5000' of elevation gain and an equal amount of descending, some pretty fast and technical ones at that, so I'm thinking about moving to an alum/carbon wheel for a little more piece of mind. Has anyone else heard/seen much in the way of carbon clinchers overheating in road races or is this just the result of a uncommon combination of factors?

What is out there in terms of a high quality, high performance wheel? Is the Cosmic Carbone the best bet? The Exalith braking surface seems pretty nice. What about the DA9000 C50s? Any other brands that would actually hold up to road racing? I've currently got Ksyrium SLS' and a sets of DA9000 C24s and C35s but looking for something maybe a bit deeper/more aero.
Last edited by: kyle h: Nov 29, 15 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Best wheels for road racing/are my worries justified? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncommon combination of factors

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best wheels for road racing/are my worries justified? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Uncommon combination of factors

Agreed.

If you're really worried, get a non carbon clincher or go with tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: Best wheels for road racing/are my worries justified? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Like the title says, looking for some input on race wheels for the upcoming road racing season. I was planning to race my 404 FCs but after a friend overcooked his Zipps in a local race and wound up with a pretty bad injury when the tube (and wheel) exploded, ..

*Overcooked??? I hope he wasn't hurt. I agree with the other two answers. As for wheel/tube failure = crash, I was in the road race in Prince William Forest (Va) when the cyclist from Brasil crashed and died (World Police & Fire Games) Ever since then, I am anal when it comes to tube/tire mounting, to the point where I inflate 50%, check the mounting, bead, etc., deflate, re-inflate, triple check. My life can depend upon it. Zipps, HED, whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Best wheels for road racing/are my worries justified? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with the tubular suggestion. if you are worried and have less than stellar braking technique, go with tubulars. Not immune to heat braking issues but more forgiving. You'd be giving up just a few watts of rolliong resistance but much safer. There's a reason pro cyclists (who do lots of descending) prefer tubulars. Also more resistant to flats overall, which is always good when road racing.

I wouldn't go with the mavics though. they are nice wheels, just overpriced and a little heavy. better for the time trials. The shimano C35/C50 clinchers are nice and overall quality is good and gives good value, I would consider them if going for a non-carbon deep clincher. HED Jet 4/6 is nice too, esp if you can get the turbine black series, but will cost. Outside contenders might be Easton EC70s or Bontrager Auras. I've heard good things, but havent had the chance to try them.
Last edited by: davidalone: Nov 29, 15 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jet 6+ if you are doing clinchers. Super aero, great brake tracks, increased contact patch, probably a little better Crr, aluminum rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Like the title says, looking for some input on race wheels for the upcoming road racing season. I was planning to race my 404 FCs but after a friend overcooked his Zipps in a local race and wound up with a pretty bad injury when the tube (and wheel) exploded, I'm feeling a little less confident in them. Granted he was running latex tubes and this was a fairly technical 7mi descent but still. I race in Western PA and WV mostly so our races typically have 3000-5000' of elevation gain and an equal amount of descending, some pretty fast and technical ones at that, so I'm thinking about moving to an alum/carbon wheel for a little more piece of mind. Has anyone else heard/seen much in the way of carbon clinchers overheating in road races or is this just the result of a uncommon combination of factors?

What is out there in terms of a high quality, high performance wheel? Is the Cosmic Carbone the best bet? The Exalith braking surface seems pretty nice. What about the DA9000 C50s? Any other brands that would actually hold up to road racing? I've currently got Ksyrium SLS' and a sets of DA9000 C24s and C35s but looking for something maybe a bit deeper/more aero.
If you're looking for alloy rims and carbon fairings I would think HED, Flo and Swiss Side Hadron are amongst those worth considering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been very happy with my Shimano C50s. I use the RS80 C50s (converted to 11-speed) not the Dura Ace; only difference is the hubs though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For amateur road racing, if you are concerned about rim heat, maybe just stick with something like a HED Ardennes wheel or go with a cheap set of carbon tubulars which tend to dissipate heat better.
Quote Reply
Re: Best wheels for road racing/are my worries justified? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a deep dish reliable wheels then the DA C50 is virtually without peer. You can train, race, ride trails, cobblestones, put them on your tandem(well, this may be a stretch), cross bike, loan them to your 240# friend to ride, and they simply won't fail. These are engineered wheels, not wheels built out of a box of readily available parts.
Last edited by: NealH: Nov 29, 15 15:54
Quote Reply