Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best type of bike course for a bigger athlete
Quote | Reply
I've always assumed a flat course would better suit me since I weigh 181lbs. However, I'm wondering if I could place higher in a hillier course. My reasoning is that I can ride a hilly course very even without burning matches. I feel this a strength of mine. For example, I had a ride recently with 7000ft elevation gain (lots of rollers, steep climbs, you name it) and ended up with the VI of 1.02. I also train on hilly roads. According to BBS, weight isn't much a factor in time even on a course like Lake Placid. Yes I give up some time but not as much as I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of bike course for a bigger athlete [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that's the case I think you're looking for a race with a flat run. I did IM Whistler very overweight and with a lower-than-average FTP (two months before were... lacking.) and still placed well within my AG just because I had a relatively even power distribution. The run is very flat, and were I in shape it would have been a fantastic and easy run to do.

Look at course profiles. Hillier ones are generally prettier, and a flat follow-up is very welcome.

This largely depends on P/weight vs. P/CdA. If you're heavy but you can push big watts and "flatten" the course like that to vi<1.05, it probably doesn't matter which course you're on. That said, I would still imagine a flatter course should favor you because reducing drag will pay huge dividends with a big motor, but not everyone can get a CdA < 0.21. Or maybe you can't without spending alot of time working on details, and some folks just don't enjoy that aspect. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of bike course for a bigger athlete [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you're aero, flat and windy would be my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of bike course for a bigger athlete [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

^^^^This.

You may be able to ride at steady watts, but that has nothing to do with your weight. You are still going to go up a hill slower than comparably fit lighter competitors. Assuming you have a decent aero position, you should also be able to go faster on the flats than they can, even at a slightly reduced w/kg.
A windy course will enhance your aero advantage, and if you are a strong biker it has the added advantage of lengthening that leg relative to the others.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

This x2.

I'm 175lbs. I could maybe get down to 170lbs but that's about it. I got nothing on me to lose. All my miracle races where I kicked ass and rolled into an empty T2 have been flat and windy.

Then there was Whistler this past Sunday. Shit.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do really well againt big guys on flat windy courses. The wind is not a big guys friend
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of bike course for a bigger athlete [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I do really well againt big guys on flat windy courses. The wind is not a big guys friend

At a 190+ pounds I can verify this is true!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a downhill course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a bigger contestant I have often wondered the same, but the truth is there is a reason that TDF hill climb winners aren't big beefy guys.

Rolling weight on a flat course is about watts, up a hill it's about gravity, which has a nasty habit of overcoming watts..

Wind is about aeroness. (if that's a word) and exposed area. Big guys can be aerobic

Unfortunately, bigger is almost never better when it comes to endurance, Usain will never do the marathon.
But, hey, I live in hope, why shouldn't you.
Quote Reply