Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best triathletes ever
Quote | Reply
Was speaking with someone who thought Mark Allen/Dave Scott were the greatest ever. I informed them that at any given time the top 10 on the ITU points list are far superior to any Ironman athlete past or present. ITU style racing is just a far greater test of endurance and skill than Ironman. Anyone can go mediocrely fast for 8 hours, it takes a rare specimen to run sub 4:40 pace off the bike. Just look at Frodeno, a washed up ITU guy who was terribly inconsistent and even on his good days in 2011/2012 he couldn't win. Now he goes and wins ironman with no competition. It's a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [itu4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bless you. this should be good. (publius, if this is you under a pseudonym i'm going to find out!)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
bless you. this should be good. (publius, if this is you under a pseudonym i'm going to find out!)

LOL!

Grabbing my popcorn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree! Let's look back at Mark Allen and Dave Scott's track 10k PR's. Neither of them have gone sub 29 minutes in a 10,000m race. I doubt Mark or Dave could even come out of the water near the second pack. Look at Macca's career towards the end of his ITU days. He was dominant in Ironman and shit the bed when it came to ITU Olympic distance. They call it Olympic distance for a reason, because it's in the Olympics. Ironman is known for sweet tattoos and race walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of college kids today can swim faster than Spitz did.....clearly the guy wasn't any good. ;P

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is not even remotely comparable. In swimming you are comparing times which have improved over the past 30 years due to advances in technology (suits, stroke, faster pools). You don't have to compare guys from the past you can take Frodeno/Sanders/Crowie and they would still get destroyed in ITU even in their prime age but if Brownlee/gomez/mola trained for Ironman they would win everything just like frodo is now
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty of college triathletes that would drop Mark Allen and Dave Scott on a group ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If what you say is true, A. Brownlee should have no problem walking all over the current top long course pros and adding an IMWC title to his resume pretty soon if he steps up to LC racing as has been rumored. Not arguing, just making an observation. I suppose this is actually quite a realistic possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU is nothing more than a running race after a little swim and group ride. Group rides are fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the point. Myself coming from mile/1500 track background, I can identify with the faster racing. Skill in ITU, indeed, but comparing the two is no different than comparing a 800/1500m track guy to a marathoner.

I do believe, you have to have natural speed for ITU, Ironman, though genetics will help, I believe if someone works very hard, will succeed.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itu4ever wrote:
That is not even remotely comparable. In swimming you are comparing times which have improved over the past 30 years due to advances in technology (suits, stroke, faster pools). You don't have to compare guys from the past you can take Frodeno/Sanders/Crowie and they would still get destroyed in ITU even in their prime age but if Brownlee/gomez/mola trained for Ironman they would win everything just like frodo is now

Whereas tri tech has been static since '89? Swimskins, Aero wheels/frames, TUEs (cough, cough).

IIRC Lessing dominated ITU, but flopped at Kona. Being good at one distance doesn't make you good at another. Not every great 10k runner does well moving up to marathons (Mo), and many great marathoners were so so 10k guys. Specificity.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itu4ever wrote:
Just look at Frodeno, a washed up ITU guy who was terribly inconsistent and even on his good days in 2011/2012 he couldn't win.

0/10. you at least could have tried to make it convincing.

i will also point out that the winner of the first ever ITU world championship (which i'm aware was a non-drafting format) was...mark allen.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlon has much greater depth these days as a result of the olympics. but yes some itu stars do not fare so well at longer distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
triathlon has much greater depth these days as a result of the olympics. but yes some itu stars do not fare so well at longer distances.

This is true because most of the ITU athletes that switch over to ironman wait until they are too old to compete at a high level in ITU. Then they decide to give ironman a go after they are on the upper side of 35 so obviously they aren't going to succeed (Docherty, Don, Charbot)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by itu4ever [ In reply to ]
Re: Best triathletes ever [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

All I needed to see was frodeno and "washed up". Oh boy this is going to be epic...

Can we make a rule that if you want to have a strong absurd option on a world champion you should have to post your ironman time. Given that the OP has 4 posts I'm sure this is trolling but should be fun either way.
Last edited by: Rocklintri: Dec 7, 16 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you had ever watched or competed in a real ITU race you would realize how much of a moron you sound like..."

coupla things, and then i'll let you return to it.

first, you can only have 1 account here. it's a rule. so, please keep to that.

second, i've gotten a number of requests over the years by folks who, once they reach the ripe old age of (say) 28, beg me to delete their posts because they're looking for a job and realize their posting history is following them around like a bunch of stale farts.

so, whether it's the sponsor deals you'd like to have now (or soon) or whether it's the job you'd like to get later in life, it's never too soon to consider how you want to say what you want to say.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why this isn't in the lavender room.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2
narcomoeba wrote:
Not sure why this isn't in the lavender room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the 90s NO ONE would have bet against this guy stepping up and smashing Kona:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1lJFlB-89Q

He came 5th in 1998, still in his 20s. Lots went wrong for him but he never dominated at ironman.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tim Don. That's all.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itu4ever wrote:
Was speaking with someone who thought Mark Allen/Dave Scott were the greatest ever. I informed them that at any given time the top 10 on the ITU points list are far superior to any Ironman athlete past or present. ITU style racing is just a far greater test of endurance and skill than Ironman. Anyone can go mediocrely fast for 8 hours, it takes a rare specimen to run sub 4:40 pace off the bike. Just look at Frodeno, a washed up ITU guy who was terribly inconsistent and even on his good days in 2011/2012 he couldn't win. Now he goes and wins ironman with no competition. It's a joke.
How did Frodeno do at the Olympics in 08.?.?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
ITU is nothing more than a running race after a little swim and group ride. Group rides are fun!
If that was the case we'd have 40+ athletes all coming off the bike together.

Not sure that happened in London, Rio or Cozumel....

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathletes ever [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tcorr44 wrote:
If what you say is true, A. Brownlee should have no problem walking all over the current top long course pros and adding an IMWC title to his resume pretty soon if he steps up to LC racing as has been rumored. Not arguing, just making an observation. I suppose this is actually quite a realistic possibility.

i doubt if he's ready yet to take the pay cut and move into obscurity that changing to long course would bring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itu4ever wrote:
Was speaking with someone

I doubt it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next