Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best tri bike setup under $2000
Quote | Reply
I found a 2016 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.5 online for $1700, and the store just called me up to say the order can't be fulfilled. I'm pretty upset because it seemed like the perfect entry level bike to me - I've been doing tris for a few years on a crappy old road bike and wanted to finally upgrade.

Anyway I'm back to square one and can't seem to find anything decent online in the sub 2k range. Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for tri bikes or adapted road bike setups in this range. Eg, the same store is suggesting instead a 2017 Fuji Transonic 2.9 with aero bars for the same price.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [sloppygiuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sloppygiuseppe wrote:
I found a 2016 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.5 online for $1700, and the store just called me up to say the order can't be fulfilled. I'm pretty upset because it seemed like the perfect entry level bike to me - I've been doing tris for a few years on a crappy old road bike and wanted to finally upgrade.

Anyway I'm back to square one and can't seem to find anything decent online in the sub 2k range. Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for tri bikes or adapted road bike setups in this range. Eg, the same store is suggesting instead a 2017 Fuji Transonic 2.9 with aero bars for the same price.
Can't be fulfilled? WTF?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept 2.5 if you can find one, or a used bike IMO.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Apr 22, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turns out someone else ordered the same bike just before me, was an ex demo bike so one-off, but the system still allowed my order to go through... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sloppygiuseppe wrote:
Turns out someone else ordered the same bike just before me, was an ex demo bike so one-off, but the system still allowed my order to go through... :(
Who was the retailer? This could be just a case of bad timing, but this is the kind of bait-and-switch slimeballs retailers do.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 22, 17 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a used bike on Craigslist. If you search obsessively and jump on a deal when it comes up you can pretty regularly get bikes that are a year or two old in good condition for 50%+ off new prices. Only potential snags are if you need an odd size or live in a rural area. Otherwise I see 54-56 cm tri bikes popping up pretty regularly.

If you want the comfort of mind of buying from a dealer, look at pros closet or mybikeshop. Prices are often not as low as craigslist but still considerably less than new. To my mind the only real benefit to buying a new bike is getting it from an LBS than can help you fit it, service it, etc. If you are looking to buy online anyway, I'd definitely look used.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
Buy a used bike on Craigslist.

I'd also look on slowtwitch classifieds and the 'Ironman Wisconsin Training Secrets Members Junk For Sale' facebook group.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evans Cycles in the UK. They're a major bike retailer and usually do great customer service so I do think just a case of useless backend systems.
What do you think of their suggested alternative, spec here: https://www.evanscycles.com/...7-road-bike-EV280169
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sloppygiuseppe wrote:
Evans Cycles in the UK. They're a major bike retailer and usually do great customer service so I do think just a case of useless backend systems.
What do you think of their suggested alternative, spec here: https://www.evanscycles.com/...7-road-bike-EV280169
Apples and oranges.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
Buy a used bike on Craigslist. If you search obsessively and jump on a deal when it comes up you can pretty regularly get bikes that are a year or two old in good condition for 50%+ off new prices. Only potential snags are if you need an odd size or live in a rural area. Otherwise I see 54-56 cm tri bikes popping up pretty regularly.

If you want the comfort of mind of buying from a dealer, look at pros closet or mybikeshop. Prices are often not as low as craigslist but still considerably less than new. To my mind the only real benefit to buying a new bike is getting it from an LBS than can help you fit it, service it, etc. If you are looking to buy online anyway, I'd definitely look used.

I gotta say - I used to think going used was always the way to go, but I don't think it's such a good idea anymore unless you're comfortable wrenching your bike.

I got my bikes new, but after several years of solid use, various parts got worn, fused, etc. I had washed the bike exterior and replaced the chain regularly so both bikes 'looked' new, but lots of badness had happened - headset couldn't be removed (fused), headset bearings shot, pedals frozen on, ferrules stuck into the cable guides, etc. These are little yet seriously annoying things that will give you a big headache down the road if you're not ready for them.

If you're comfortable pretty much disassembling your bike top to bottom and putting it together back up, used bikes are great as you'll quickly see the big problem spots and negotiate down the price if needed.

My LBS charged me $100 (and I think it was legitimately earned) for spending over an hour to unfuse my seatpost and headset. Fortunately, I had done the rest of the problem work, and it wasn't easy so I saved a bunch of money that way (but spent it all in replacement parts and then some.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in the U.K. Slowtwitch forum isn't so good but try checking out:

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/.../116-complete-bikes/

For lots of greats deals in that kind of price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for a used Speed Concept 2.5 if you can find one. Or a used Speed Concept 7 series. If buying new, a Transonic is really not a bad choice. Decent try bike geometry so long as you don't need to get too low up front and it's a sneaky fast frame. Tour magazine had a wind tunnel shootout with several aero road frames with different wheel sets and the Transonic was only a watt or two behind the Cervelo S5... which at low yaw I've been told is close to a P4. So, long story short, the Transonic is a fine frame choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [JonD71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JonD71 wrote:
If you're in the U.K. Slowtwitch forum isn't so good but try checking out:

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/.../116-complete-bikes/

For lots of greats deals in that kind of price range.

Good stuff thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're very knowledgeable about what to look for in a triathlon bike, or have a friend to take along, I'd hesitate to buy something used....unless you know who you are buying from....too many potential issues to deal with. Where do you live? There are many online retailers where you can find a new 2-3 year old model for under $2k. I know Nytro has been mentioned here before and I bought my P4 from R&A Cycles in Brooklyn which does a big online business.....check their "outlet" store. Again, be helpful to know where you live so others might be able to recommend a local shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Another vote for a used Speed Concept 2.5 if you can find one. Or a used Speed Concept 7 series. If buying new, a Transonic is really not a bad choice. Decent try bike geometry so long as you don't need to get too low up front and it's a sneaky fast frame. Tour magazine had a wind tunnel shootout with several aero road frames with different wheel sets and the Transonic was only a watt or two behind the Cervelo S5... which at low yaw I've been told is close to a P4. So, long story short, the Transonic is a fine frame choice.

Oh interesting. They're setting it up for me to have a look on Monday so I'll report back. I'm coming from a pretty upright 10 year old road bike so won't be ready for super aggressive geometry just yet. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best tri bike setup under $2000 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Unless you're very knowledgeable about what to look for in a triathlon bike, or have a friend to take along, I'd hesitate to buy something used....unless you know who you are buying from....too many potential issues to deal with. Where do you live? There are many online retailers where you can find a new 2-3 year old model for under $2k. I know Nytro has been mentioned here before and I bought my P4 from R&A Cycles in Brooklyn which does a big online business.....check their "outlet" store. Again, be helpful to know where you live so others might be able to recommend a local shop.

Thanks, I'm in UK so also searching some local forums. Definitely agree with your advice on used, I'm not knowledgeable and also want help fitting, warranty etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my Orbea Ordu M30. List price is a little over $2000, but there are leftover 2016's and even 2015's to be had at a discount.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 22, 17 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-aero-tt/

Get this

They are super solid U.K. Based bikes if you don't need big brand or absolutely top end stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previously stated, look for used and be ready to jump on it when a you see a bargain. Otherwise check online stores for 'new old stock' frames going cheap. I have managed to score frames for a song this way, then build them up myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used P3/P4 and used 3T Ventus

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a new kestrel Talon? $1100 on bikesdirect.com. Or (even though it's aluminum) new Fiji Aloha: $700 I think also in bikesdirect.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest used. I picked up a 2010 Scott Plasma 20 for $1000 and it included a set of HED Jet 6/9 wheels. My shopping list was short, I did some research and knew what would/wouldn't fit me and then I just stocked classifieds for a few months waiting for a deal.

I wanted something that I could do my own wrenching on. A threaded bottom bracket, standard front end and easy to adjust brakes.

My short list was a post-2010 Felt b16/b14/b12/b2, scott plasma 2/3, Cervelo P2 among others.

After I got my Scott plasma I stalked slowtwitch classifieds and ebay for parts to upgrade. I swapped out the cranks so they'd match my stages power meter (Ultegra 6700 to FSA Gossamer), I got a new front end with pro missile allow aero bars with a missile evo carbon stem, changed the saddle to an ISM Road (now PS 1.1) and re-cabled everything. All in I probably spent $1500 for everything and apart from being 10-speed (honestly I rather 10s mechanical over 11s mechanical, easier to adjust) I don't think I'm losing much compared to entry-mid level UCI legal triathlon bikes like the Felt B-series, Cervelo P2 and P3 or any other bike with a non-proprietery front end or bayonet fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other U.K. Option for great value new bikes is Planet X - some deals on their older design Tri bike at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can pick a Cervelo P2 up for <ÂŁ1900 if you shop around. Maybe a touch cheaper with some topcashback. Appreciate its a touch over budget, but a good platform for any upgrades in the future.

Felt B14 on Wiggle for about ÂŁ1700 also pretty good.

'Stuff' is expensive in the UK at the moment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at the Boardman ATT, you get a full Ultegra set up for ÂŁ1999

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply

Prev Next