Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best subtle brag ever
Quote | Reply
OK this might arguable, but I had to pass this along if there isn't already an existing thread on this. So a group of us were on a long training ride out of DC and doing a quick rest/pee/provisions stop at a well known convenience store outside WDC (I am obfuscating details to protect identities here). Two of us were training for our first 140.6 and one had done one several years before and was getting back into the game. As one of my buddies was slightly cramping, I suggested he buy a pickle and drink the juice that came in the little pickle packet. As we were extolling the virtues of pickles and pickle juice for long rides, another obvious triathlete pulled in on her blinged out superbike (with the numbers from a race from two weeks prior still very visible), kitted out in a local sponsored team's kit. To say she was stand offish would be an understatement. She just didn't want to engage in conversation with us and literally opted to take her bike INSIDE THE BATHROOM WITH HER rather than take up our offer to watch her ride for her. Roll the eyes.

So here's the good part. As she's coming out of the bathroom, my friend asks me if they have pickles on course during full distance IMs. As I honestly didn't know, I said, "well she probably knows," nodding to the recent IM finisher who'd just emerged from the bathroom. So my friend asks her. After an almost visible eye roll, she says "well, I hear that after dark they put out all sorts of weird stuff on the course like chicken broth, but I really wouldn't know about that." And she just rides off. We all looked at each other as if to confirm she'd actually said that.

Oddly, I ran into a team mate of her's a few weeks later at a local running store. I described the story and he smiled, shook his head and said "yeah, that's XXXXX. Great racer, not exactly the best at interpersonal skills."

I would imagine there are other stories like this....
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What am I missing here......
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That she's never been racing in the dark, i.e. a sub ~14h finisher. Honestly, doesn't sound like much of a brag, probably just speaking her mind. So do they stock that stuff after dark? I've not been out for that long either ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess for this time of year it came across as a bit of a brag...gets dark here about sixish...so yeah, I guess we're talking about the 12-13 hour mark - for FOP and elites, obviously not as much of an issue as it is for noobs. I guess her overall 'tude contributed to the take away we had that there was a little bit of swagger there...guess you had to be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still, that's not a brag.

If she'd have still had the remains of Kona sticker on her bike, and she said she aid stations serving broth or whatever when she went back to cheer on folk, then that would be subtle brag.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair nuff. Wasn't a Kona sticker. Heck, I would have my Kona sticker laminated to my bike if I ever made that dance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
14 hours?! If you want to finish in daylight at Ironman Australia, you have to go sub 10 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think a Kona sticker is an under brag. I still have mine from 2015 on to top of my headset and while I was racing this year it served as my motivation to push hard and get my ticket for 2016 already. (See, that's how to brag!)

As for finishing in the dark...Here it gets dark around 6. I have huge respect for people who finish in the dark and I know as I get older I will face that...I honestly do not know if I can do it. And that's why I have sincere and genuine respect for those who do. I had 1km left of my run when I came up to a person just coming in off the bike. We exchanged a few words of encouragement; I certainly know who had the tougher challenge.

I think on rides, some people come off as jerks the first time you meet them and get nicer once they see you share the same commitment. I think sometimes people who train a lot get tired of the "on and done" crowd that really act like pros. Taking my bike into the bathroom with me and race number stickers...yeah...a little over the top!
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
I don't think a Kona sticker is an under brag. I still have mine from 2015 on to top of my headset and while I was racing this year it served as my motivation to push hard and get my ticket for 2016 already. (See, that's how to brag!)

As for finishing in the dark...Here it gets dark around 6. I have huge respect for people who finish in the dark and I know as I get older I will face that...I honestly do not know if I can do it. And that's why I have sincere and genuine respect for those who do. I had 1km left of my run when I came up to a person just coming in off the bike. We exchanged a few words of encouragement; I certainly know who had the tougher challenge.

I think on rides, some people come off as jerks the first time you meet them and get nicer once they see you share the same commitment. I think sometimes people who train a lot get tired of the "on and done" crowd that really act like pros. Taking my bike into the bathroom with me and race number stickers...yeah...a little over the top!

She's just learning to pee while on the bike....baby steps.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

As I was pushing myself during the run at Kona this year, I kept thinking about 'toughness', 'challenge'', 'effort' etc.
A lot of people seem to think that the BOP stragglers are doing a 'harder' race and are inherently more 'courageous' than the FOP types.
And I kept thinking "where is the cutoff between wanting the race succes so badly it will have consequences versus allowing yourself to walk because it hurts".

For me, struggling to finish something is on a completely different level than giving everything you have to finish as fast as you can muster.

As for bragging, you won't get that from me. You see, I did make the podium in Kona, but I didn't win. Only winners get to brag... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Darren325 wrote:

As I was pushing myself during the run at Kona this year, I kept thinking about 'toughness', 'challenge'', 'effort' etc.
A lot of people seem to think that the BOP stragglers are doing a 'harder' race and are inherently more 'courageous' than the FOP types.
And I kept thinking "where is the cutoff between wanting the race succes so badly it will have consequences versus allowing yourself to walk because it hurts".

For me, struggling to finish something is on a completely different level than giving everything you have to finish as fast as you can muster.....
Yes, if slower athletes are slower because they are not pushing themselves as hard, they can expect to have an easier race.
However, to think a slower time indicates they are not pushing themselves as hard is not a valid assumption. Plenty slower athletes give it everything they've got, perhaps some just want to finish, but I think the vast majority also want to do it as fast as they can. Consider for a moment that slower athletes are typically also less experienced athletes. Is it fair to say that less experienced IM athletes (like myself), due to that lack of experience, are by far the most likely to make pacing errors like riding too hard and putting themselves in trouble early in the run? Often those slow times might reflect just how hard they were pushing themselves, perhaps unwisely, and the fact that having pushed to their limits and cracked, they picked themselves up and kept on pushing.
A fast athlete is also a well prepared athlete. Yes, they push themselves to their limits and suffer. But typically their bodies are ready for that suffering. The intensity as a function of their max effort may be a little higher but that's largely because the fact they will be doing it for a shorter duration makes that possible. If that logic was sound then we could suggest that those racing hard over 5km suffer more than a fast IM athlete because the intensity is much higher. I would accept that faster athletes have typically suffered more in training, made more sacrifices and deserve their speed. I don't accept that they suffer more because slower athletes are taking it easier and all they need to do is finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that they bust out the broth long before dark.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I'm pretty sure that they bust out the broth long before dark.

Yep. I worked an IMMD run station the other day and we had it available by 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That broth is awful stuff....I mean 'that's what I've heard'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are reading into this way to much. So a woman is out on a training ride (maybe doing a tough workout) and two random guys that she doesn't know start asking her all sorts of questions and want to "watch" her expensive bike, then she's honest answering your question but you think that her honest answer is rude? She probably thought you were being creepy, you have no idea what many athletic women have to deal with when it comes to guys, especially when we are doing long workouts alone. I've done the same - I'm out on a hard ride minding my own business, I stop to quickly use the bathroom and two guys come up right away being overly friendly and chatty... not in the mood, I'm trying to get my workout in not trying to socialize and I don't know your intentions but I'm not sticking around to find out and sure as hell not leaving my bike out for you to snag. I'm wary of people that I don't know, even more so when I'm 20 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and you've got me outnumbered.

I'm not an elite but I'm a competitive age grouper finishing between 10:57-12:46 for the three Ironman's that I've done and they did not have chicken broth available while I was on course for my two slower ones but had it out on the sub-11 one I did. So it depends on the race and time of year. Also she likely had her own nutrition plan that didn't rely primarily on course nutrition so she wouldn't necessarily know nor care what was on course (at least I know that I personally do not use what's on course other than water though I know what's there just in case). Instead of being sketchy you could have googled it... also you should probably read the race guide (or look at the previous years guide) to find out what is offered on course instead of approaching a random female athlete that you don't know (please don't be that creepy dude).

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably wasn't being clear enough. My female training buddy offered to watch her bike, not me, but appreciate being called creepy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
You are reading into this way to much. So a woman is out on a training ride (maybe doing a tough workout) and two random guys that she doesn't know start asking her all sorts of questions and want to "watch" her expensive bike, then she's honest answering your question but you think that her honest answer is rude? She probably thought you were being creepy, you have no idea what many athletic women have to deal with when it comes to guys, especially when we are doing long workouts alone. I've done the same - I'm out on a hard ride minding my own business, I stop to quickly use the bathroom and two guys come up right away being overly friendly and chatty... not in the mood, I'm trying to get my workout in not trying to socialize and I don't know your intentions but I'm not sticking around to find out and sure as hell not leaving my bike out for you to snag. I'm wary of people that I don't know, even more so when I'm 20 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and you've got me outnumbered.

I'm not an elite but I'm a competitive age grouper finishing between 10:57-12:46 for the three Ironman's that I've done and they did not have chicken broth available while I was on course for my two slower ones but had it out on the sub-11 one I did. So it depends on the race and time of year. Also she likely had her own nutrition plan that didn't rely primarily on course nutrition so she wouldn't necessarily know nor care what was on course (at least I know that I personally do not use what's on course other than water though I know what's there just in case). Instead of being sketchy you could have googled it... also you should probably read the race guide (or look at the previous years guide) to find out what is offered on course instead of approaching a random female athlete that you don't know (please don't be that creepy dude).

Such self-righteous indignation.

Your rush to label someone 'creepy' for a brief passing comment to someone doing a shared activity is pretty hilarious.

That said OP she's not obligated to engage you in a chat.
Last edited by: messien: Nov 1, 16 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
also you should probably read the race guide (or look at the previous years guide) to find out what is offered on course instead of approaching a random female athlete that you don't know (please don't be that creepy dude).

+1. My SO tells me stories all the time about creepy dudes at the gym and during her workouts. Meanwhile the most I have to deal with are the strange denizens of the pool like those aqua zumba ladies who insist they need my lane when they already have half the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I managed a decent one after putting up and old race photo and asked if anyone knew the other bloke running with me.

Yeah, that's Levi 'The Alien' Maxwell, did he beat you?
Yup, dropped me like a sack of turds a couple of km from the finish.
Did you manage to hang on for second?
Nope, someone else kicked both our asses, I think it was Craig Walton.

But apparently my best humble brag came when I joined a new spearfishing club and I joined a couple of guys for a few drinks.

So, how deep can you dive.
Uumm, I don't like going much deeper than 50m unless I'm on a line and try not to fish below 40m.
Apparently that's much more impressive than I thought it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably wasn't being clear enough. My female training buddy offered to watch her bike, not me, but appreciate being called creepy
---

One dude out biking in spandex with 2 womens= definitely creepy. You'll be lucky if you don't get added to some sort of list. Unless, of course, you're name is Jack Tripper and you're trying to confuse the landlord about your choice in lifestyle...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like to post my diary on the internet when my delicate ego is hurt by women who won't talk about my pickles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
I'm wary of people that I don't know, even more so when I'm 20 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and you've got me outnumbered.

Jesus. That Running While Female article thread is really spilling over. I'm in no way a creep, and I don't engage in any of the cat calling or other BS, but I am human and I have no problem interacting with other humans on a basic human level. But apparently even that is offensive these days.

Pack it up boys. We are no longer welcome in the sport. God forbid you come across a female having a mechanical or possibly involved in an accident. I would probably ride right past her for fear of being labeled "that creepy dude" who is clearly only trying to hit on her while helping her tend to a compound break of her femur. It's safer for her to wait for other female athletes to come by and help out than to be accosted by a male with nefarious intentions like calling 911 or handing over a spare tube or CO2 cartridge.

If someone who is obviously another triathlete asked you if they had pickle juice on the course at an IM race you did 2 weeks prior and were still clearly brandishing all the markings for, and you take offense, you're not fearful for your safety. You're just a bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:

As for bragging, you won't get that from me. You see, I did make the podium in Kona, but I didn't win. Only winners get to brag... Smile

It's great we have a German pro posting.

Must have been pretty cool to be part of a sweep for your country
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did she still have the Ironman wristband on?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best subtle brag ever [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are getting "self-righteous indignation". The op didn't mention that his friend was a female.... and yes I would consider two random male strangers coming up to me asking me questions and wanting to watch my bike while I'm making a quick pit stop sorta creepy. I don't know you, you don't know me - strange men being overly friendly is creepy - especially where I ride out in the country far from anything. Now this may not be how it went down but I could definitely see how from her perspective it may have seemed.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply

Prev Next