Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best method for cleaning drivetrain before race
Quote | Reply
I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting any watts with a dirty chain/cassette/pulley etc. Assuming I can't remove the cassette or chain from the bike, what's the best way to clean the chain/cassette/pulley?

I've seen different brushes/tools, degreasers/alcohol/dishsoap, then different lubes.

Any advice is much appreciated. Feel free to reference videos or link to products.
Quote Reply
Re: Best method for cleaning drivetrain before race [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
learn to remove chain and cassette, it's really simple. especially if you get a chain with a missing link.

once they're off, best way to clean is with mineral spirits then alcohol.

then go to a waxed chain, never have to clean your cassette or chainrings again. then just slap on race day chain and you're race ready.
Quote Reply
Re: Best method for cleaning drivetrain before race [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are not going to take it all off - then what I use for a quick clean are the Lysol Wipes - that come in the round plastic can- they are really good at getting the gunge off.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How dirty? If they are filthy yes remove the chain and cassette and soak them.

If moderately dirty you can spray the foamy chain degreaser on the chain and the cassette, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe down the chain (grip the chain with a rag and turn the pedals) and floss the cassette with a rag. Repeat a few times.

Then when it's all nice and clean and dry use wax based lube (rock n roll gold is great).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most bike shops will have one of those chain cleaning devices. They usually aren't a lot of money. Slap in a little degreaser and back pedal. Do this frequently and reapply lube. I do it once a week after my weekend ride / bike wipe down. Takes no time. And a clean chain will make the cassette stay pretty clean as well.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have heavy grease and grime use wipes to get that off first. After than, get a bottle of Rock and Roll Gold. It's a cleaner and a lubricant in one. Flip your bike upside down on the ground and squirt the lube onto the chain by the cassette while spinning the crank and use a cloth to wipe the chain off with the other hand at the same time. You might go through half a bottle your first time out.
Quote Reply
Re: Best method for cleaning drivetrain before race [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
Most bike shops will have one of those chain cleaning devices. They usually aren't a lot of money. Slap in a little degreaser and back pedal. Do this frequently and reapply lube. I do it once a week after my weekend ride / bike wipe down. Takes no time. And a clean chain will make the cassette stay pretty clean as well.

The chain cleaning devices are cheap and convenience. Just put a towel under it if you're cleaning it in a hotel or something. I might do it every few weeks. Before a race I usually take cassette off and clean it in mineral spirits, wash the bike, and use chain cleaner on chain. It keeps it clean enough for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Best method for cleaning drivetrain before race [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
tkos wrote:

The chain cleaning devices are cheap and convenience. Just put a towel under it if you're cleaning it in a hotel or something. I might do it every few weeks. Before a race I usually take cassette off and clean it in mineral spirits, wash the bike, and use chain cleaner on chain. It keeps it clean enough for me.

+1 for putting a towel/old rag down.
Quote Reply
Re: Best method for cleaning drivetrain before race [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
learn to remove chain and cassette, it's really simple. especially if you get a chain with a missing link.

once they're off, best way to clean is with mineral spirits then alcohol.

then go to a waxed chain, never have to clean your cassette or chainrings again. then just slap on race day chain and you're race ready.

+1. You don't have to clean it if it doesn't get dirty in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thang. It's the only way to be sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When properly dirty I've typically used either foaming degreaser and a nail brush (as in one of those small bathroom brushes intended for cleaning your fingernails) for the chain or alternatively a cleaning tool with liquid degreaser. The foaming degreaser and nail brush also does a decent job on the cassette if it's very dirty, once it's reasonable you can floss it with a rag to get it really clean if you wish - it's kinda satisfying!
I normally leave the cassette on the wheel but take the wheel off the bike. It's easier to floss that way.

If it's just mildly dirty, and you're happy with "relatively clean" it may be adequate wipe down the chain with a rag, lube the chain and then wipe off the excess lube along with whatever grime it's picked up.

I recently started using Rock'n'Roll Gold lube mentioned by others in earlier posts. It seems very good for keeping the chain clean with a wipe and re-lube every couple of rides. However, I'd recommend giving the chain a good wash to remove the previous lube before starting to use the Rock'n'Roll. Otherwise I suspect you'll waste a lot of time and lube trying to get the residue of the previous lube and grime off the chain.

I'd highly recommend Wippermann Connex SX chains. I haven't been using them long either but I really like them. They're stainless steel, very well finished and by all accounts (from people whose opinions I'd trust) durability and reliability is excellent. The best part is they're joined with a re-usable link that can be easily opened and closed without any tools or difficulty. This link comes with the chain and is far superior to the KMC and SRAM quicklinks in my opinion, both in terms of ease-of-use/practicality and the fact that it can be opened and closed repeatedly without any degradation. You can easily remove your chain for cleaning it and put it back on in moments. Or remove the chain for transport, maintenance, etc....
Quote Reply