Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best entry level tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hey looking to buy my first tri bike! Best one for under $2,000?!
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [cfmini32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Save up 200 more dollars and get a Felt B14.

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for a used Speed Concept 2.5. Probably the fastest aluminum production bike ever made.
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually was leaning towards a b16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR Kilo C

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the front page article of SlowTwitch and read about the 2015 Felt B14 - $2,000 for Ultegra and the higher end B2 mold from last year!!!

70 point something - Felt, Profile Twenty Four, Shimano
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cfmini32 wrote:
Actually was leaning towards a b16

The B14 is SO worth the extra money. Better frame being the main reason. Way better frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A used P2 or P3?

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several, and which one you'll get will depend on your stack and reach numbers. You need to get the frame that fits.

For example the Cervelo P2 is great value for the money. But tends to be long and low. Good if you have short legs and long torso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt S32
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The b16 I was looking at comes with ultegra. So is the frame really worth that much more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the speed concept 2.5. Check ebay and save yourself 1000.00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P1 with deep front wheel plus a wheel cover. If you're real lucky you might have enough left over far a pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Look for a used Speed Concept 2.5. Probably the fastest aluminum production bike ever made.

+1. I've ridden a SC 2.5 the last few years and it's fast. I recently upgraded to the 7.0, only because I needed a bigger size. Will be listing my 2.5 on the classifieds, upgraded to 3T Brezza bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely carefully scour the used market. If you are patient you will find a very good deal. I was able to score a 2011 P2 ultegra with speedplay pedals(i don't use so can sell), an x-lab wing, cages, and x-lab saddle bag for $1200.00. It had been ridden less than 800 miles.

If you are patient you can find something similar, and with the remainder of your 2G budget you'd have enough for a used powermeter, or say a powertap+disc cover and deeper front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one that fits

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider the speed concept 2.5 hasn't been in production for about 1.5 years, that could be a tough find.

The B14 is a very good bike. Giant has an interesting entry level tri bike with the lower level trinity. Maybe a 2013 P2?

If you can find a shop with a couple of good options, try getting a fit that you could put the cost towards the cost of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the B16 you found that has ultegra is a 2013 as the 2014 came with Shimano 105.

The 2015 B14 is the mold from the B2 that was not that long ago the DA. The 2013 B16 mold is a couple of years old. That's as much as I can explain as far as the difference between the 2 frames. That said, I hope you can find the 2013 B16 for around $1,500 or less by now!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the posts that have suggested riding several bikes and looking for the best fit and then going from there. I rode several bikes in early 2013 and settled for a P2. Absolutely no buyers remorse! I love it. Short legs, long torso, weigh 145. I got it new for about $2400. If you think you're going to have it for a while then save up the extra $$.

I'd also be cautious when looking for used bikes on Craig's List or Ebay. If it's too good to be true, it's probably hot. Bad joo joo. Ask for the serial number and where they purchased it and then confirm with the shop. Good shops will store that info.
Last edited by: camtdc: Jul 25, 14 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [BoraBill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is a 2013. and it is selling for $1600. Should I ask fore a price drop, or even for them to add something- if so what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fair price drop request is always worth a try - just remember to be fair - support your LBS as they will help you out in the long run. Right now would be a good time to ask as its the end of the month if it matters to them or at least wait for them to get the actual 2015's in their inventory - it would likely motivate them to move the product at a reasonable price.

Another request is a year maintenance included or have them swap out the FSA crank for an Ultegra. I have almost 4,000 miles on my '13 B16 and the only thing I upgraded is the wheelset. My next move is swapping the cranks to Ultegra 11sp, and then the whole front end to all carbon and a lower elbow cup stance.

Good luck, and more importantly as others have said, be sure that the bike "fits" you. Felt is typically long and low (shorter inseam in ratio to torso).

Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale Slice and Quintana Roo CD01 are also good options. Adjustability, aero enough, confortable, and good prices...
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [Ironmendo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR's entry level bikes are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cfmini32 wrote:
Yes it is a 2013. and it is selling for $1600. Should I ask fore a price drop, or even for them to add something- if so what?

If you can get them to give you a professional fit with the bike and you'll have saved the $200-300 it costs for a good solid fit. I'm with the others on the newer B14 as the best bang for the buck if it fits you. Not to sweat the P2 option thrown out there as it's also a great bike.

Just make sure you don't regret your purchase and you'll be fine. I love my first tribike but in hind sight I didn't realize how much I'd be willing to throw into a bike until I got the 'bug" and now I wish I had saved the original $1500 I spent to get something better. 1 year later I'm looking at Felt IA options LMAO

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Best entry level tri bike [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy an aluminum road bike add aerobars and forward seatpost. Can easily be under 1000$ and be fast as the entry level bikes which are bricks
Quote Reply

Prev Next