Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best cure for leg cramps
Quote | Reply
As an endurance cyclist I am constantly battling leg cramps on 100+ km rides. Would appreciate tips on cramp avoidance and management.
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [Halifaxbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halifaxbiker wrote:
As an endurance cyclist I am constantly battling leg cramps on 100+ km rides. Would appreciate tips on cramp avoidance and management.

Pickle Juice and avoid caffeine
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And train more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little packets of mustard from 7-11, two maybe three do the trick for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used to have to bring a baked potato for potassium with me when I would go from track practice right to swim team to avoid getting bad heat cramps. Worked well, bananas would prob help too. Are you drinking a sports drink?

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just used Base salts during HIM Choo and it worked wonders, when i started to feel the least little bit of tightness i would take a little and i was the perfect again.

I do not work for/with them, i juts really liked my experience with their product
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [jlee565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any theories as to how the pickle juice or mustard can minimize leg cramps?
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question, I've heard both that it is the vinegar or it is the tumeric in mustard. Of course it could all be a placebo effect, but I stop at a 7-11 and grab a few packets before every race and stick them in my pocket at T 2. I usually start cramping on the run after about 6 miles. http://www.coreperformance.com/...cure-for-cramps.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Hammer Endurolytes tabs, 3 per hour, and it seems to help prevent leg cramps.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:

Here is some fairly scientific pickle juice research and brief word on the theory of the mechanism of action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't mentioned your fuelling plan. At 100k you should be (and probably are) consuming something more than a simple electrolyte drink. Apart from that, as mentioned, just keep training. Eventually your muscles will adapt to the intensity/duration of the training and the cramping will ease.
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
1xatbandcamp wrote:

Here is some fairly scientific pickle juice research and brief word on the theory of the mechanism of action.

Where?

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halifaxbiker wrote:

Ride less then 100 km until you can handle the distance? 62.5 miles isn't very far (even at race pace) and will get better with practice.

There is no magic "pickle juice" remedy ...

Re: Best cure for leg cramps [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train more, and more specifically. There's no data that links biochemical issues to cramping. It's neuro-muscular and related to fatigue not lack of a certain mineral or chemical compound. If it was, cramping would be more systemic, not localized.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheJeff wrote:
gregarious wrote:
1xatbandcamp wrote:

Where?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19997012/[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Best cure for leg cramps [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had forearm and thumb cramps after a bike race where I was on the verge of cramping on the last climb during the race.
Quote Reply