Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best cold weather cycling jacket
Quote | Reply
New office allows me to ride into work and I'm looking for ideas on the best cold weather jackets. I don't like to be overly layered but don't want something that fits like a winter parka either.
Quote Reply
Re: Best cold weather cycling jacket [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need more info.

Expected winter temperatures?
Likely to be rainy?
Your budget?
Length of commute?

I layer base - thin fleece - Goretex Windstopper if dry, Paclite if wet, and make sure the extremities are really warm (lobster mitts, woolen socks, silk balaclava), works beautifully for me.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Best cold weather cycling jacket [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expected temp: cold ranging from 30s to so cold your nipples fall off
Length of commute: 6 miles
Rain: hell no
Budget: doesn't matter will spend money for quality

I also want something that I can wear on rides other than just commuting to work so would prefer something more form fitting.
Last edited by: adktriguy46: Mar 5, 15 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That´s colder than my typical commute temperatures - wet weather is more of an issue for me in the Frankfurt winter, at least in the last two years, so I´m not sure how useful any advice I can give you is.

What I will say, however, is that I´ve had terrific use out of Gore Bike Wear shell jackets and Vaude thin fleeces.
I buy previous-season stuff NOS on eBay at approx. half price.
Cycling-specific stuff is definitely the way to go, the sleeves seem a bit longer.
Avoid cotton as a base layer, it seems to go cold and clammy.
I solved my cold hands problem this year with a pair of lobster mitts from MEC, brought over from Canada.

Look after your extremities and the rest of you will look after itself (more or less!)
At those temperatures I´d be wearing thermal undertrousers too.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For short commuting, nothing beats a mid range ski coat. This time of year the discount sites have all kids of cheap ski / snowboard jackets. You don't need it to be terribly breathable for 20 minutes on the bike.

For real winter training, I'm convinced this is the nicest coat on the market, regardless of price:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...rtful-rd-jacket-mens

have fun
Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Best cold weather cycling jacket [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7meshinc.com

new on the cycling scene and x-Arcteryx designer. Patterns are amazing and fit/feel awesome...
Quote Reply
Re: Best cold weather cycling jacket [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:

Look after your extremities and the rest of you will look after itself (more or less!)

I've generally taken the opposite approach. If I keep my core warm, it's much easier to keep my hands and feet warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Best cold weather cycling jacket [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gore Windstopper can't be beat for this purpose. Cycling specific jackets will work much, much better than street or ski jackets, especially if you want to use it for more than a 6 mile commute.

Gore Xenon 2.0 WS. Expensive but extremely well made and cut, very warm and completely wind proof.
http://www.goreapparel.com/...type-jackets-jackets

Alternatively, Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Windstopper, which is similar but a lot cheaper:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pearl-izumi-p.r.o.-softshell-jacket-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBKYWNrZXRzOjE6MTQ6Y2NDYXQxMDAxOTc&skidn=PLZ002H-BLARD-M
Last edited by: hiro11: Mar 5, 15 8:44
Quote Reply