Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best climbing wheels for a road bike?
Quote | Reply
I am doing a bunch of mountain road races this year and plan on doing the same next year so toying with the idea of going with a lighter wheel set... I currently have a set of Hed Belgiums (24 front and 28 spokes) with a PT that come in at 1,700 grams roughly so thinking something lighter might be worth it and if I really need a power meter on a road bike (Im on a cycling team). Been looking at the Dura Ace C24s which look decent and of course Enve (so expensive). Curious to see if anyone has any opinions on some good light wheels and how durable they are, stiffness, etc.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 202s come in at 1395g with a 200g rear hub. Changing that to a PT G3 would add 125g and bring you to 1520g with power. Is that good enough?

The difference we're talking here is like 7 ounces. Is that enough for you? Can you lose half a pound or more? Serious question from a guy who is overweight and loves to buy new bike things. I used to care about weight but now I look at the scale and can't justify buying anything for weight savings.
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you on weight- unfort. I am on the light side for me... im more curious to how much rotational mass on wheels matters as well...

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then you have the right focus here. What's the desired weight and budget? Obviously as light as possible for as little as possible but indulge me and throw somethingn out there. Give us the weight you're shooting for and the amount you're trying to stay under.
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the lighter the better but still stiff. I am open to tubulars for the roadie. Ideally under 1,400 grams. I saw a set of dura ace C24 that were at 1,100 which looked good for weight but not sure on the durability and stiffness.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AX Lightness come to mind. Well under 1000g and support 100kg. http://ax-lightness.de/...aeder-rennrad/s-24t/
Last edited by: soobrex1: Jul 30, 15 21:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 speed tubulars are your friend. 202/303/enve 45/7800 c24. Pick your poison.

I have enve 45s and DA7800 c24s. Both tubular 10s. Street value <$800.

There are plenty of great options available in the ST classifieds.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which do you like better the enves or the DAs

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are defending in these races too you really ought to prioritise braking performance and heat management in parallel with mass.
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. That is why the DA wheels are apealing with the alloy brake track and I've heard enve is supposed to be good

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enves stop better. And are theoretically more aero. And lighter. And prettier.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you on weight- unfort. I am on the light side for me... im more curious to how much rotational mass on wheels matters as well...

It makes the handling lighter. That's about it. Else it's just weight. How much do you weight and how much does your bike weigh? How much do you have to spend?

If you want an optimized light racing set, then carbon tubulars are it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
the lighter the better but still stiff. I am open to tubulars for the roadie. Ideally under 1,400 grams. I saw a set of dura ace C24 that were at 1,100 which looked good for weight but not sure on the durability and stiffness.

I own the C24s and they are aces on durability and stiffness. Highly recommended.

Don't think they're 1,100 though. More like 1,300

[edit] sorry I thought you meant the clinchers. That's what I own. Can't speak to the tubular. But Shimano wheels are generally really good [/edit]
Last edited by: JoeO: Jul 30, 15 22:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://lightweight.info/en/en/

???
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [Schulbub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not going to do better than the 9000 C24's. They are suitably lightweight and extremely robust. The rims in particular are light at about 380 grams. And their hubs are the best in the business. With Aluminum brake tracks they are perfect mountain wheels. In fact they are near perfect about everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might also look into the new Boyd Altamont Lite wheels. 1430 grams, tubeless compatible, 24mm wide.

https://www.facebook.com/...osts/977774775616821
Last edited by: mstyer: Jul 31, 15 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
If you are defending in these races too you really ought to prioritise braking performance and heat management in parallel with mass.
Lightweight racers descending quickly isn't a demanding application for brakes. Heavyweight riders afraid of high speeds is another matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:

Rotational mass is very small factor. Really do the actual math and not just pretend to based on a vague memory of high school physics.
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The HED Ardennes SL may not be the lightest/fastest/best option, but they sure are a joy to ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much vertical and how technical are the descents?
I find that for longer climbs with grades above 6% aero wheels matter very little.
And if descents are technical and require a of braking I would rather have a fairly shallow aluminum rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next race is an average grade if 7% with switchbacks hitting 10%. I already have a set of aero wheels my wife and I share- just wondering if I will gain anything from going to a1,400ish gram wheelset from a 1,700. Starting to think it won't make that much of a difference since a big chunk of the weight difference is in the powertap hub

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://enve.com/products/ses-2-2/

1225g and I would bet that it out brakes an aluminum box wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Define mountain.

7% is pretty steep, but there's a big difference in how overall weight affects you on a one mile hill versus Alpe D'Huez. A 500 gram difference on Whiteface would be about 30 seconds. A one-mile climb of the same grade, more like 1 to 2 seconds.

If you are doing Everest Challenge I'd say go as light as possible (I did EC in 2012 with a set of 303 tubulars, total bike weight was around 14.5 lbs.)
Quote Reply
Re: Best climbing wheels for a road bike? [gmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pikes peak which is 12.5 miles and Evans next year which is 27 miles long.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply

Prev Next