Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best bike for 4k?
Quote | Reply
I just sold my bike and am in the market for a new one. What is the best bang for my buck for around $4k?

A little more detail
--The bike is my strongest leg (< 57 minute 40k in a tri)
--I'm coming from a 2009 Scott Plasma 2
--I think I would like to get an 11sp, but I don't care about all the electronic stuff

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

http://www.raptorcorn.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [jhorn929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3. Ultegra 11 speed. $3950. I purchased one this summer. It's a great bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure you don't need this advice, but for the general population I suggest a $3K bike and a powermeter.

What bike did you sell and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sold a Scott Plasma 2 because I bought it when I was first learning about tri's and it is too small for me. I already have a Stages PM will be switching over to whatever I buy. I live in a small town with not a lot of bike stores so it's hard to try any out before i buy one.

http://www.raptorcorn.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used P5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the best bang for my buck for around $4k?

P2 with 105 ~$2500. Maybe less. Getting a really good frame there.
Bitchin front wheel ~$500. China or used.
Plastic disc cover ~$100.
Fast tires and tubes ~$100.
You already have a PM.

= $3,200.

Later upgrades... maybe base bar, brake calipers.
Last edited by: rruff: Aug 19, 14 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were to change your mind and consider electronic I would say the 2015 Felt B2
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P2 has a pretty awesome frame. Latest Cervelo design. Same as the P3 which gives up almost nothing to a P5 if you mount TriRigs. Nice base bar and wheels and you are there... superbike territory.

The SC7.0 might be even better though and not much more money. Don't know if the brakes are a hassle or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. Interested to see what others say (beyond P3)
I am about done with my 8-year-old Seduza & Flashpoints now (Perfectly decent setup, even now)
QR Cd01 anyone? Think they are close to $3k now.
A Shiv w lesser components?
Newer Plasma w lesser components?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack, but is the reason for switching out the bars mostly aerodynamic or is there geometry/ comfort/ etc. in the equation? Are there general numbers thrown out for drag reduction on these bars vs. stock?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The brakes are a pain in the ass. Not worth the hassle IMO. I have an older Speed Concept 7.0. If I were buying a new tri bike, it would be a P2. Unless I REALLY liked the paint on a P3.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Last edited by: kjmcawesome: Aug 19, 14 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I have heard, including the sales guys at my LBS, and tour riders, is that the P5 sucks compared to a P3. The P5 isn't even as stiff as the "cheap" P3.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
List on the QR CD0.1 Ultegra is $3,400 according to their website ($2,800 on trisports, could be cheaper elsewhere). Of course there's always the option of picking up something used for cheaper and building it up the way you want. I'm very happy with my CD0.1 which I got throught the classifieds on here for $1,800 without wheels a few years ago. I'm still just riding a pair of Spinergy PBO's I already had, but throw on a set of FLO's and a power meter and it'd still be well under $4,000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One that fits
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Don't think you are going to do much better than a P2 frame for aero, and you can get them cheap with 105. The Shiv TT and Plasma 3 are pricey. The QR isn't in the same league IMO.

Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Entirely aerodynamic reasons.

I don't have any data on the stock bars (I don't think) but here are a couple reference points, from that great website aeroweenie.com :

http://www.tririg.com/...ite_Paper&page=2

http://aeroweenie.com/...img/data/aerobar.png

So you are probably looking at 30 to 60 seconds per 40k vs the stock p2 bars if you went with a super bar.

MI_Mumps wrote:
Not to hijack, but is the reason for switching out the bars mostly aerodynamic or is there geometry/ comfort/ etc. in the equation? Are there general numbers thrown out for drag reduction on these bars vs. stock?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Complete nonsense.

MTBSully wrote:
Everything I have heard, including the sales guys at my LBS, and tour riders, is that the P5 sucks compared to a P3. The P5 isn't even as stiff as the "cheap" P3.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrapeJuice wrote:
If you were to change your mind and consider electronic I would say the 2015 Felt B2
Ditto, if it fits!
For $3600, IIRC, this is the bike I wish I knew was coming out last year when I built a 2013 B12 frame with Ultegra 6800 11-spd.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same question regarding my NP2 and decided to stick with the stock bar until I learn more and maybe find a good deal on one :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Don't think you are going to do much better than a P2 frame for aero, and you can get them cheap with 105. The Shiv TT and Plasma 3 are pricey. The QR isn't in the same league IMO.

QR isn't in the same league because you say so, or because it's a fact? Specifically aero speaking, where is your data to back this up? This is old (2008) but its valid to this argument when the OP is being told to buy a used p2.

I do not believe for a second that the p2 blows the Cd 0.1 out of the water aerodynamically. If you just like the way it looks better, then you should say that.

http://www.quintanarootri.com/...-tunnel-analysis.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a '14 SC 7.5 for right at $4,000 if you negotiate a bit or order a '14 SC 7.0 with the 7.5 cockpit for ~$3,800 (that's what I did). However, that doesn't leave anything for wheels. Best bet is probably a new P2 with some of the upgrades others mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up my brand new 2014 SC 7.5 for $3200 + tax. Granted I went through a hell of an ordeal post purchase with the shop but if I could do it over again I would buy the bike from them and have a more reputable shop build it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would chime in since I have just changed from a scott plasma 2007 about 1 month ago to new trek SC 7.5.
I did some research about the bike and they upgraded many things from previous version including an integrated stem.
Also my fitting on scott and trek are really similar (went to Retul for fit) so that why I pick it first of all. It only took me about 4 or 5 rides to dial in, I had to change my stem but it was easy to order. Moreover to help there is a link on SC 7.5 where one of the engineer from Trek (Carl) can help you with any questions. Super helpful.
If it matters I am strong cyclist as well, just did 5:11 at IMMT, very comfy and aero to end up with kona slot.
I would recommend buying a power meter with that as well. I would agree jackmott on aero and fit as key decision to buy.
Also easy to travel with, just had 2 flight with it.
Manuel
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for 4k? [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been talking about a brand spanking new 2014 P2. I've seen data on the QR and it wasn't that good even several years ago... don't recall where though. Might be on Jack's aeroweenie site.
Quote Reply

Prev Next