Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best and quickest means of mounting watch on Bike
Quote | Reply
I've a suunto ambit 2 - I want to wear it for the swim, stick on bike and then wear for the run, whats the best bike mount kit for an ambit - or what have people used that works?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best and quickest means of mounting watch on Bike [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is not kit for the ambit. You will need to take it off,and strap to the bar some how. I think Garmin makes an adapter that will allow the watch to stay secure on the bar. But then you will have to take it off, and put it back on at T2.
Quote Reply
Re: Best and quickest means of mounting watch on Bike [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin watch mount
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Bicycle-Mount-Kit/dp/B000VK5BMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427402013&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+watch+mount
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Suunto makes a bike mount similar to the Garmin option.

http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Wristop-Computer-Bike-Adaptor/dp/B00005N9DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427405155&sr=8-1&keywords=suunto+bike+mount

It is not quick however. Due to the GPS antenna that requires the special strap there isn't a great way to mount a Suunto to a bike. I just wear mine on the bike, easier than trying to mount and dismount the watch. If you put the watch face on the inside of your wrist while on the bike it is very easy to see while on the aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently Suunto makes a mount that you can order direct from them, but I keep it simple and just roll my watch so the face is on the inside of my wrist. I can see it from the aerobars no problem and it's one less thing to mess around with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep it on your wrist for the whole event, but when you get on the bike, twist it around to the inside of your wrist, so that a slight outward movement of your arm will present the watchface to your line of sight, then just twist it back to the outward position for the run.
well that's what I do with my 310 during tris
Quote Reply
Re: Best and quickest means of mounting watch on Bike [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat with my V800.
Wearing it on the inside for the bike works well, but I can't really twist it into that position without opening it.
Any nifty tricks to manipulate the watchband to allow making it looser or elastic for the twist and then easily re-tighten it?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suunto Ambit2 user.

In training, I use a Polar mount for the watch. It's design has two cantilevered 'wings' fore and aft of the bar that makes it very easy to remove the watch. You tighten the strap up sufficiently when fitting, and it is held securely by the sprung nature of the mount, and when you want to undo the strap, there is give in the mount to allow you to fractionally tighten the strap, releasing the prong in the buckle from the strap. It is much easier than the Suunto mount, which is essentially a rubber block wrapped around the bar.

For triathlon races, I just keep the watch on my wrist; which isn't as useful. Mind you, I do the majority of my training rides on the turbo glued to power, and then ride a race at 'feel' and glance at the watch to confirm. It's not ideal, but that way I get a whole race in one workout.

Polar bike mount for day to day training. You heard it here first, kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Best and quickest means of mounting watch on Bike [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bike computer also solves the problem. In the case of a V800 you would need dual (ant/ble) sensors, but that's usually no big deal. An Edge 510/V800 combo works fine. A few extra button presses is needed in T1 (or on the bike), but it can just be turned off before T2, you have all the data for post race analyzing (and the run) on the V800.

This is what I have and I really want a big screen on the bike anyway. Messing with a watch strap in both transitions is no fun either. The Edge can easily be removed and put in pocket/bike shoe in T2, if needed.
Quote Reply