Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Vintage Bike Sale Approach
Quote | Reply
I have decided that I want a modern road bike more than my sentimental attachment to my first race bike. So, I am planning to sell the race bike from my youth to fund a road bike upgrade. The question is: what is the best approach to selling it? Should I sell it as a complete bike, or part it out? And, is the best channel here, eBay, CL, or some other?

My bike is a late 80s Pinarello Montello SLX, built with full Dura Ace and two sets of wheels. Typical Pinarello (for the era), the decals have long flaked off, and the paint is literally falling off the frame. However, it is mechanically excellent (put 2K on it last year and rode a century). The Dura Ace bits are all very good.

I have executive approval for the carbon road bike upgrade project, so this is the next critical step.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vintage Bike Sale Approach [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local Craig's List is easiest for buyer/seller communication and transaction. Ebay, ST, etc. reach wider audience but be prepared to address shipping costs (not cheap) and more logistic challenges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much are you trying to get? What size?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put it on craigslist for about $800 and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vintage Bike Sale Approach [Catacomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Catacomb wrote:
How much are you trying to get? What size?
That is a whole other mystery... I need to try to figure out what it is worth yet. I am hoping for around $1,000, but there are not many prior sale information anywhere to get a good baseline. I think it is a 57cm frame.
Quote Reply