Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best VALUE in a race [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of it; thanks for the tip.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the American Triple T. A fantastic value and definitely not a cookie cutter, predictable event, but isn't reaching its limit of 500 until a month or so before the event, if it does sell out.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
SLOgoing wrote:
Hmmm. I like the June Lake Granite Man Challenge. Essentially, an ironman over 3 days in an incredible place. Why? Tough, beautiful, accessible, fun, cool, good vibe..... reasonable price (though for the life of me I can't find the price).

I did like Wildflower back in the day... the festival was fun, the camping miserably fun, the course was killer, tested my limits, etc. You know the gig, but interestingly it didn't survive and a price drop wasn't going to save it and sorry, but the drought doesn't get to bear the weight of the blame.

I wish something like the Grand Circle Trailfest would throw in some lake time or a biking day. Or something. I do wish somebody would put on an adventure day race where it was point-to-point using many modes of self propulsion (swim, bike, run, rollerblade, climbing, kayaking, something).

Doesn't Bend, OR have a multi sport race with kayaking as a piece? Never done it though.... just happened through town once when it was going on.

Have not done the graniteman challenge, but I was going to add the June lake half (put in by same people) as I have done that.

Cheap entry (relatively)

Amazing scenery

Great food - was like being at a family BBQ!

Incredible staff and volunteers - people spend a week ahead of time hiking water and nutrition up an insane hill that isn't accessable any other way to set up an aid station.

Toughest run course I've ever seen - just add 30- 45 min to your normal time.

Handmade ceramic finishers medals

Handmade unique cups for podiums

Art as prizes for top 3 overall m and f

June lake brewing gave discount beer to all finishers!!!

Not to mention that it is at 7 or 8,000 ft. For us ocean viewers that is enough to slow you down, despite the insane run.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [jczech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jczech wrote:
The "Night Moves" series at Santa Barbara is a great value

Are those still going? Loved those when I was in college up there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, gotta be http://106westtri.com While just it's first year it had very reasonable registration costs, amazing support (completely closed highway for the bike!), sorry cool swag (cowboy hat and belt buckle!) and an amazing course/location that took them almost a decade to get approved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i see your point. but are you reading the HITS palm springs race reports? is this just a palm springs issue, where it seems to so often end up like this? or is this a national issue? because, again, value isn't just cheap. it's cheap for what you get.

i don't want to color your view. i'm simply asking.

I've done the HITS Naples, FL (OLY) event twice, in January 2013 and 2016. Its been a well run event.....no issues with swim, bike course, or run. Last year was a little unusual because of a pouring rain but they handled it well. Mark Wilson was the RD both times but I've read elsewhere here that he is no longer with the company (?). I'd recommend but I only have experience with Naples.

Delmo (Steve) Sports has several events in the South Jersey area.....does a good job and provides a good value.
Last edited by: gphin305: Dec 7, 16 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm sure we've listed these, but in my old age i just can't seem to lay my hands on the thread.

which multisport race is the best VALUE. not the best race. not the cheapest race. but the race where you get more for less. the best bang for your buck. where you walked away saying, "that's a lotta race, a great experience, for the money i paid."

now, it may well be an ironman. fine. some of you will say that, because the entire adventure is well worth the money spent. or it might be another race. can we please keep this to CURRENT, ONGOING races.

i'm sure a number of you are going to not read the above and include single-sport races, races that no longer exist, or some other GREAT answer nevertheless an answer to a DIFFERENT question than what i'm asking. or some smart ass answer like, "i do my own fictitious race, on the weekend, just me, and it's free, and that's the best value. still, if you could either, you know, answer the question, or just not answer at all, that would be preferable. so: the best VALUE in a CURRENT MULTISPORT race. and why.

The Great Floridian Triathlon (GFT) is $150 for early entry (by Mar 31 IIRC); AFAIK, the GFT is the cheapest iron race in the U.S. If you don't care about having big crowds, it's a great race and a great value.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
Rocketman in Huntsville, AL. Race was put on like any other small local race but it had great competition and the race director was great.

Never did that one when I lived in that part of the world but I always loved the Mach Tenn triathlon in Tullahoma, TN. Long sprint, great course, better postrace food and beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 195 Euro fee for the Alpe D'Huez long course triathlon is a steal.
It's the best race I've done outside of Roth.
Outstanding course, good swag, professional organization and great atmosphere.
And you climb the freaking Alpe D'Huez!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Terramuggus Series in Connecticut. 6 sprint races every other Thursday night through the summer, plus an Olympic at the end. Sprints go for about $25 each and you can register on site. No bibs, no medals or t-shirts, overall awards only, 1 water station and rack space in transition is first come, first serve until it's full. That being said, it's chip timed, a fun course, and there's always a cooler of beer at the end. It's just a great atmosphere, and a cheap way to race several times a year with friends.

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been there yet, but I would think Kona without a shadow of a doubt (we're talking value, not price ...).

I would not look at entry fees, but what enjoyment I get when taking time off work and family.

From the races I have done, I would rank my top 3 in value as:

Challenge Roth
Ironman Barcelona
70.3 Worlds (does that qualify as an ongoing race with changing locations??)

Basically you get a long weekend in a triathlete's asylum with not much else to distract you. Barcelona (Calella) has cheap hotels/cheap food/cheap transport etc. to make up for juicy WTC entry fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XTERRA races are a ton of fun for the money. Can't remember what I've paid for the ones I've done, but looking through a few of the open races for 2017, races are $60-65. I love the off-road vibe.

Of course, I'm a Toughman ambassador because I feel Toughman has a lot to offer. Toughman is to Mary Ann as Ironman 70.3 is to Ginger. The races might not be the huge productions some might want/expect, but the ones I've done or volunteered at have been solid events. There are now 16 races in the series and it is continuing to grow. As a consumer, I love the grassroots, alternative feel of Toughman. I believe triathlon needs the Toughmans, Challenges, and Rev3s of the world.

The prices are good, too - Toughman Arizona is $150. Toughman Minnesota and Wisconsin are currently $120. Tennessee is $141.40, including the registration fee. I did MN a couple years back and really enjoyed it - nice course, good turnout, and great course support.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedy Feet in southwest Ohio runs a series of Wednesday afternoon tris through the summer time. The races are bare-bones, and cost $15 ahead of time, or $20 day of. It is THE best value out there. All the cool kids show up, and competition is hot.

I also want to give a shout out to HFP (of Triple-T fame). They run great races for reasonable prices. They contribute to a vibrant Ohio tri scene.

Our local Road Runner club, ORRRC, puts on some winter swim (indoor)/runs that are $10.
Last edited by: ponderingfox: Dec 8, 16 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [ponderingfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is only for Americans, if not then some that I know in Germany: (€ is about $1.05 right now)

Maxdorf middle distance triathlon 2km-80km-20km 90€ or 110€ for non-licence holders.
Wasserstadt Iron distance triathlon 119€ until the end of the year, 85€ for the half.
Frankfurt city half distance - was 140€ until last week now 160€ until march
Knappenman XXL Iron distance - 210€

$100 for an olympic makes the best VALUE list in America?
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
jczech wrote:
The "Night Moves" series at Santa Barbara is a great value

Are those still going? Loved those when I was in college up there!

I remember when those races were free, every Wednesday night after all the lifeguards could get off work and schlep it up to Santa Barbara. I heard at some point they got pretty big and there was a nominal entry fee, maybe 10$? I think they are still going on, can someone who has done them lately fill us in on the program for now?

And it is multi sport as it was a swim/run, but I think you could do either or if you wanted to. And usually there was a gathering of folks for a beer afterwards too, so this was great value for the couple bucks...
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too will say Triple T. It's a really unique event, completely different feel from an IM event. Well run, but still has a local, ma and pa feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Deca Ironman.... about $1500 dollar sign up for 10 fully supported Ironmans on the same course (food, water, etc.). Comes out to $150 dollars per Ironman distance, hard to beat that.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Dec 8, 16 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beyond Triple T, this thread is already nothing but a popularity contest of STr's favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Beyond Triple T, this thread is already nothing but a popularity contest of STr's favorites.

Well, except for American Zofingen -

Which actually IS THE ONLY CORRECT ANSWER.

"Short Course" aka Canadian Womens Distance =
3-4+ hours of racing on an amazing, challenging course in a beautiful venue, with delicious food and BEER afterwards
- all for $100.

"Middle Distance" aka G Chris Gleason Memorial F1 =
5-6+ hours of all of the above
- all for $100.

"Long Course" aka Long Course =
7-10+ hours of all of the above
- all for $100.

Savageman is amazing, as is Triple T, but -
they are the rest of the podium, well behind AmZof, in terms of bang for the buck.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yuck. Value yes. But 10x IM back to back no thanks.

Not uncommon to pay $40-50 for a local masters swim meet. So last time I paid $15/minute of racing...

I race the events that fit my schedule. Instead of traveling too often. That's value for me since my son has his own events now.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Dec 8, 16 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Otillo. I don't even know what it cost me, but whatever the number was, it was worth every penny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday night mini tri series in Lake Placid during the summer.

$20 for a sprint. Low key, grassroots style racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best VALUE in a race?

For Americans - that would be ANY well run race in Canada. You are saving 25% - 30% right off the top, on the dollar exchange! :)

Dust off those passports folks, and we'll see you in 2017!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally Triple T - I think it was $200 when I signed up last year for a full weekend of awesome racing. And the sag is great too - includes a tri top and I love the finisher's jacket (also included).
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Well, except for American Zofingen -

Yeah, definitely sounds epic but I've done the real deal at Powerman Zofingen and have no interest in stepping down to what I think you might agree is a less polished race. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next