Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Training Wheels
Quote | Reply
I've been biking for a couple of years now and I'm currently riding a 2012 Specialized Roubaix I bought slightly used two years ago.
Anyways, I cannot find or navigate my way around this sight so I apologize if this topic has been repeated over and over again.
First, I am wanting to know when it is time to upgrade training wheels? Is it after x amount miles? If I need a wheel change(which I'm thinking since these DT Swiss are original) I am unsure what is the best. I've google this topic and it looks like it Mavic, Shimano and DT Swiss. Which would you recommend and why? I see a lot of mixed reviews.
Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Training Wheels [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't bother changing wheels unless there's something wrong with them or something specific you want that they can't provide. If the brake tracks are excessively worn, then the wheels need to be replaced for safety. The brake track eventually wears down so that the walls of the rim become thin and are weakened. Many aluminium rim wheels will have some sort of indicator built in so that you can tell when the wear reaches this stage. For example, some have a groove machined into the rim and when that disappears it means the wear limit has been reached. I've been riding a lot since 2011 and I've never reached that point on any of my wheels. But I've spread my riding across 3 bikes (2xroad, 1xtri) and 4 sets of wheels in that time and most of my routes don't require a lot of heavy braking. If you're in an urban area and/or you've ridden big mileage you could reach that point much quicker.

I'd stick with alloy rims. If you want to use them for racing too, you can consider a set with carbon fairings like HED Jet Plus, Flos or Swiss Sides. I see no real benefit in full carbon rims. It's a fashion thing.
For everyday riding if you're not looking for anything terribly expensive or fancy there's lots to choose from. For well known mass produced easily available stuff off the shelf, I'd consider Shimano, Fulcrum, Campagnolo, Mavic, DT Swiss, and there are lots more I'm forgetting.
All of these, and other companies offer wheels at various price ranges. The biggest differentiator tends to be weight. You might get a 2000g wheel set for $120, a 1700g set for $250 and a 1500g set for $500 for example. The importance of the weight is debatable. Light wheels feel nice for steep climbs in my opinion but weight of wheels gets hugely over hyped. It's not that big an issue and pretty irrelevant on flat routes. It would make a small difference for sprint accelerations but that's about it.

For general purpose wheels, there are a few things I'd consider:
  • Are you looking for an aerodynamic advantage? If you're not racing I wouldn't bother with anything over 35mm deep rims. It's cost without much tangible benefit. There are good 30 and 35mm rims that actually perform reasonably aerodynamically and normal box profile rims won't ruin your day. I use these for most of my riding except on the tri bike.
  • Is comfort a priority? It may be worth considering a wide rim (wide as opposed to deep). Typical rims used have a width of about 15mm between the beads (the channel where the tyre sits). The current trend is towards wider rims up to 22mm or so. This allows you get more air volume for a given tyre size and more importantly to get a better tyre profile with larger size tyres (say 25-30mm)
  • Do you want the option to go tubeless? Tubeless ready rims will typically cost more. I haven't tried tubeless, I see the merits and if the price difference was reasonably small on new rims I'd probably go that route, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.
  • Weight. As above, I don't think it's as big a deal as some do. If my budget allowed I'd pay a bit extra to get say <1600g. I wouldn't pay massive money just to get <1400g wheels.

You may already be aware, but in case you're not - you'll need to check the wheels are compatible with the groupset you're using. Normally this is just a case of checking if it has a Campagnolo or Shimano/Sram freehub.

The other option is to get a wheel built for you. I've never had that done but it could be an attractive proposition. I think Kinlin do a nice 30mm deep rim that's something like 19mm wide and decently aero. A good all-rounder. I'd go with something like that and a good serviceable set of hubs and easily replaced spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Training Wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1, thank you for your help and the information.
I never notice the brake tracks, it looks like the front tire has life and the back tire is kind of smooth with what appears to be a wear in the middle of the brake track, so this would mean I need new wheels? What brought it to my attention is when I ride in 45 degrees or colder the whole bike rattles and squeaks when I hit my rear brake.

How much would you spend for training wheels? What type do you have on your bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have a set of wheels I built 30 years ago with many tens of thousands of miles on them. If you take care of wheels, they last forever. I rode them in a century last year, and they are excellent. If you brake a lot on roads with sand on them (that embeds in your brake pads), maybe you could wear out the brake tracks. But realistically, they will outlive you in typical riding.

Brake noise or shudder probably has nothing to do with rim wear. It is either brake pad toe-in or maybe the wheel is out of true.

I would only buy training rims if you want them, but they are unlikely to be necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you are confused with tires and brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not a bad idea to take it to your LBS to have them look at the braking system and the wheels. A reputable shop will tell you if you really need new wheels, new brake pads or just a brake adjustment. If the shop is telling you that you need Zipps or Enves, you should find a different shop.

I would personally have someone look at it to make sure everything is properly tightened and adjusted. Medical bills can be quite high if your bike fails to stop upon request.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runfasterplz wrote:
Ai_1, thank you for your help and the information.
I never notice the brake tracks, it looks like the front tire has life and the back tire is kind of smooth with what appears to be a wear in the middle of the brake track, so this would mean I need new wheels? What brought it to my attention is when I ride in 45 degrees or colder the whole bike rattles and squeaks when I hit my rear brake.

How much would you spend for training wheels? What type do you have on your bikes?
I'd agree with the others, your rims are highly unlikely to be the problem.
Also the tyres and wheels are two separate things.
Wheels are sold without tyres and without a cassette. So a wheel really has 3 main parts: the hub, the spokes and the rim. The brake track is the flat portion on either side of the rim where the brake pads make contact when you pull the levers.

Tyres can be easily replaced whenever they become too worn. The rear tyre will wear much quicker than the front and you can change them one at a time if you like. It's not essential to have matching tyres.

I agree with the other poster that it's not necessary to have specific "training" wheels. My road bike has the same wheels on it every day. I'd rather have decent wheels and use them for all my rides. It only makes sense to have race specific stuff in a few situations:
  1. You use really deep rim aero wheels for racing that are problematic in windy conditions on training rides.
  2. You ride huge mileage and want to minimise wear on your best wheels because you may actually wear them out in the foreseeable future otherwise.
  3. You are afraid of damaging wheels by hitting a pothole or crashing and you don't want to risk expensive wheels on training rides.

I doubt 1 or 2 apply to you and I don't subscribe to 3. If I have nice wheels I'd like to use them.

So, if your current wheels are in need of replacement, I'd just get new general purpose wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runfasterplz wrote:
Which would you recommend and why? I see a lot of mixed reviews.
As others have said, the only really compelling reason to change wheels (especially for training) is if you've somehow worn out or damaged your existing rims. At the same time, don't necessarily let that stop you from getting a budget friendly set of wheels you can use all around, that will yield benefits. A few years ago I bought a set of SRAM S40 wheels and I use them all the time. They're aero enough to be faster than regular box-rim wheels, but not so deep that it presents crosswind issues. And they're not fragile.

So what I'd suggest is to look around at your local bike shop(s) and see if they're clearing out some old stock on moderately priced aero wheels, or find a reputable online vendor, and get some 35 to 50mm deep wheels (almost preferably, with aluminum brake tracks). You will be able to enjoy these all-around. Or, just keep using your existing wheels. Again, as another poster noted, squeal or judder from the brakes reflects a toe-in issue (usually, not enough) with the pads, not a problem with the rim.

Less is more.
Quote Reply