Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best TT tire for 2008 Carbon/Al Zipp 404
Quote | Reply
Being too tight to spend $1000+ for a new front wheel for my TT's I bought a 2008 Zipp Carbon clincher with aluminium braking surface.
It is pre Firecrest shape. I current run conti gp23's on it. I know that aero is very important on the front possibly, moreso than Crr.
The 23's produce a significant 'light bulb' profile on the narrow tire mounting surface compromising the aeroness (is that a word?)
What would be the optimal tire for this wheel from a pure speed perspective. I ride at about 40kph.
Is it best to stick with a known fast 23mm or would a 19 or 20mm (more aero profile) be faster?
Yes I know - I should just get a contemporary wheel/tire combo...but not going t happen just yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best TT tire for 2008 Carbon/Al Zipp 404 [Linds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two of the narrowest options are from Continental and were both recently updated:

20c Supersonic - previous version with smooth tread. I haven't seen the latest version measured for width or Crr;

22c Attack - often listed as Attack II. New version is labeled 23c and sometimes listed as Attack III and remains to be seen if just relabeled or uses a new casing.

No flat protection for SS while Attack has Vectran protection belt.

I've had 303 and 606 version of that type Zipp and mounting some tires can be very challenging!
Quote Reply
Re: Best TT tire for 2008 Carbon/Al Zipp 404 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Summit,

Good that there are some narrow tyre options. But not going to change unless I can find some testing data that suggests that the narrower tyre gives a net performance improvement over a good 23mm tyre. Expect someone has tested this but perhaps not for several years as the rim is nearly 10 years old. The essential question is "do the aero gains of the narrower tyre on this rim outweigh the subsequent increase in rolling resistance?".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linds wrote:
Thanks Summit,

Good that there are some narrow tyre options. But not going to change unless I can find some testing data that suggests that the narrower tyre gives a net performance improvement over a good 23mm tyre. Expect someone has tested this but perhaps not for several years as the rim is nearly 10 years old. The essential question is "do the aero gains of the narrower tyre on this rim outweigh the subsequent increase in rolling resistance?".

This may help:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...inny-vs-fat.html?m=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linds wrote:
Thanks Summit,

Lol. Ok.

You're new to the forum so I'm guessing you've missed how often this is discussed on here. I'll leave it up to you to do some of your own work to find testing results. I'd suggest checking out Tom Anhalt's blatherboutbikes blog where he's tested tires in the tunnel and on rollers. His H3 results should provide some info on how a narrow wheel and tire interact. And if you take a look at his Crr testing spreadsheet you'll find that both tire recommendations I gave you roll better than the GP4kSII 23c...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy - right on topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Summit. The SS20 looks like a candidate based on the blather site.
Certainly goes well on the H3. But on the old 404 - who knows?
Looks like it is worth a try though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Quote Reply