Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best TT/Tri bike for tall riders. Cervelo P3, Argon 18 E118, BMC TM01, Orbea Ordu,
Quote | Reply
I'm wanting some feedback from taller riders or fitters who have fit taller riders (>6'3"). I am 6'5" and currently race road bikes and am about to but a TT bike and obviously it needs to fit correctly. From what I can tell the following bikes have quite generous stack/reach values: Cervelo P3, Argon 18 E118, BMC TM01, Orbea Ordu, Scott Plasma. I'm wondering if anyone out there can offer any advice or suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Best TT/Tri bike for tall riders. Cervelo P3, Argon 18 E118, BMC TM01, Orbea Ordu, [kturchin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The QR PRsix in 58.5 is going to be as big as the 61 cervelo and 60 Scott.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Best TT/Tri bike for tall riders. Cervelo P3, Argon 18 E118, BMC TM01, Orbea Ordu, [kturchin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 6'5" you can still probably fit on most anything out there. Just =)
Depends on proportions a lot though. You might even fit on the non largest size of some of those bikes!

Best bet is get a quick fit somewhere and figure out how much pad stack you need and work from there.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Dec 16, 14 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'8". The only thing that fit me was Shiv Tri XL.
All others even with custom pieces abd parts werent great fits. Shiv is fit as is, nothing special needed, a lot of variability in set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'1" I'm riding the M E118 and find it a little short. Stack is nice, running one spacer but can add a bunch more if I want to raise up. It's not a bike that I like to ride for long durations. I have an E80, medium which is the same frame #'s but it way more fun to ride position wise because of a cm here and there.

The E80 is a conventional fork/stem/head tube, so that would be a good place to blush in a fit and then see if those numbers can be matched on the E118. I built the E80 as a practice bike but rode the thing for a full summer, everywhere.

PS: Introducing the E80 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5QPj1kcL8 Still remember my first ride, just blew me away this bike it felt like butter, like I was ready to go at the hour record:).

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Dec 16, 14 21:31
Quote Reply
Re: Best TT/Tri bike for tall riders. Cervelo P3, Argon 18 E118, BMC TM01, Orbea Ordu, [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" and I have a stack/reach of 592/435 mm based on a Retul fit. Only 3 bikes out there fit that. Felt B2/B12 (2013 or later), SHIV and Cervelo P5. At 6-5" I would guess you would have a stack near the 600mm mark unless you've got a long torso. If you've gotten a fitting a quick look at the STACK & REACH tab at the top of this page should give you an idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'4" with a 37" inseam.
I ride a 61 P2C or Old 2 (I have had 3 different frames over the years)

I think am fit on it pretty good I think but I have only ridden Cervelo TT Bikes (Dual and the P2). I am thinking it is getting to be time to shop for a new bike though.

I would say the most important thing is to make sure the front end is high enough for you, or you will have some hip and hamstring issues. With the selection of Aerobars on the market you should be able to get a good fit with a spacer or 2. I say this as my original setup was a pretty highly stacked profile design bar. Comfortable, but I always wanted to get lower (lower is faster right up until it is not right :> ). A couple of seasons ago I swapped out front ends to the Zipp Vuka Alumina base with clip on setup. It took several visits to the fitter and some tweaking on my own over 2 seasons to get it right.

Good luck, Find a good fitter, and in best case scenario get fitted first and then choose your bike instead of the other way around.

Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also 6'5", and have a Cervelo P3 in size 61cm. When I bought it, I assumed I needed to have the saddle as high as possible as I initially "thought" the 61cm size was on the smaller end for me. When I got fitted though, the fitter lowered my saddle significantly (more than 1.5 inches), and now my bike is much more comfortable, even on long training rides. Obviously you'll need to adjust stem height/length to suit your own body needs, but at 6'5" I wouldn't worry about the P3 61cm not being big enough, even though our leg lengths may differ slightly.
Quote Reply
Re: Best TT/Tri bike for tall riders. Cervelo P3, Argon 18 E118, BMC TM01, Orbea Ordu, [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'5" used to ride 56cm classic P2. Due to UCI-constraints it didn't make sense to have any larger frame because it would have meant too short extensions. Now riding XL Shiv TT but could also ride L (L with "cups forward" and XL "cups rearward" are virtually identical in measures), could probably manage even with M. Looking at the Cervelo P5 fit-chart I could in principle fit all sizes 51-61cm. Not that they all are optimal or look good but the point is that with a good adjustable handlebar you should have plenty of options.

I know it is almost a heresy to talk about the stiffness or lack of the frames here but when you go over a certain point, say typical 56/M size that starts to be an issue to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3 with a pretty big drop, and a lot of bikes are a challenge.

It's not one of the bikes you mentioned, but... The Parlee TT comes in a handful of sizes that are more customizable without having a custom bike. I've been riding one for a few years now and it is an amazing bike. While it doesn't have an integrated front end, that cleaned up with a good aero bar set up.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just purchased a new 61cm P2 (same frame as P3) this year, and after being comically stack constricted for years on a 61cm P2SL (some people have legitimately asked me if I was riding a 650 frame), I finally have enough fit play to get myself in a very, very aero position at 6'7".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6ft 3in. Saddle height 83.5 and ride with 11cm of drop to the elbow pads. Shiv XL with 2cm of spacers fits me perfectly, with a 100mm stem.

get a fit from a reputable guy and they have software to tell you what bikes would fit the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'6" and 61cm P2 fits well. Could probably make do with a 58. What's up with shorties who are 6'1 and 6'2 chiming in? I bet you guys fit well on airplanes too :)
Quote Reply