Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Swim Snorkel for Pool and OWS
Quote | Reply
I did search the forums and saw some discussion on certain snorkels or using a snorkel in general, but I am curious if there is one that works well in the open water in addition to the pool. I tore a disc in my neck recently and can't rotate my head very well. Want to get back in the pool, but want to relieve some of the stress to avoid reinjuring and allow it to continue healing without losing all feel for the water. In the near future I may have to wear the snorkel in my races so want one that will work ok out in the open water as well. Any favorites? The only ones I have seen are the FINIS.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Swim Snorkel for Pool and OWS [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only thing I have ever seen is FINIS. Maybe there is a reason for that.... I dont use one so I cant say for sure but I bet they are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the FINIS in training sometimes and am happy with it. Have not used it in open water. Can't imagine how it could be worse than a diving snorkel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I did search the forums and saw some discussion on certain snorkels or using a snorkel in general, but I am curious if there is one that works well in the open water in addition to the pool. I tore a disc in my neck recently and can't rotate my head very well. Want to get back in the pool, but want to relieve some of the stress to avoid reinjuring and allow it to continue healing without losing all feel for the water. In the near future I may have to wear the snorkel in my races so want one that will work ok out in the open water as well. Any favorites? The only ones I have seen are the FINIS.

I have used the Finis a few times. It is a centerline snorkel and works very well. I use it without a nose clip, but it is a little disconcerting having water in your nose but breathing only through mouth. If I was going to use it a lot I would get a nose clip. It should work well for your uses for the pool. I have never used one OWS however. I imagine that sighting might be tough with a bad disc, and if it was really choppy or rolling waves the snorkel might be problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TYR has a new one that is a little taller that may work. My swimmers like it so far and they report it is a little more stable than the Finis. Weve been using the Finis now for about 6 years and have good luck though. All pool swimming and have not tried open water
Quote Reply